Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dimond [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it's a "Dimond" not a "Diamond"... so I'd say they are OK. So if your riding a "Diamond Back", you F'd.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe Dimond will have a "kit" where you bolt on a thin piece of teardrop shapped CF to the beam and then to the bottom bracket.

Really that would be no worse than a an aluminum rim with a fairing or a disc cover. It's a modification for the sole purpose of improving aerodynamics. The UCI is ridiculous. Just flipping through their 5" thick rule book(s) makes you head spin. It's a lesson in how to eliminate innovation from a sport.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond [deafcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... it would almost be like having strict shoe dimensional regulations in running.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MCHammers wrote:
Paul,
I asked our team USA coordinator if we could ride non-UCI compliant bikes at ITU worlds in Chicago, specifically, Shiv, IA and P6. She asked their ITU Official and this was the officials response. Still seems odd to me they would single out beam bikes and decide to draw the line there. I have an IA so I'm going to assume it's ok. But I think I'll throw an old bike in the car just in case...

"Regarding bikes NOT allowed at 2015 Chicago:

BEAM BIKES...Diamond bikes now, are NOT allowed

Have never heard anything negative about the Shiv or Cervelo P6

But only the BEAM bike is out"

MC

I thought I remembered other Non-UCI bikes not being allowed at Edmonton. I have a friend who I saw bring his beam bike back after being rejected. I just do not understand. There are rules about bikes. Why would anyone
want to try and play a game about the rule? I guess drafting is okay also. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mispelling is a direct quote, does raise the question how much research the official did before answering the question.

MC

http://www.mctriguy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,
I think the only thing we know for sure is that you can't draft off of a beam bike :)

MC
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
MCHammers wrote:
Paul,
I asked our team USA coordinator if we could ride non-UCI compliant bikes at ITU worlds in Chicago, specifically, Shiv, IA and P6. She asked their ITU Official and this was the officials response. Still seems odd to me they would single out beam bikes and decide to draw the line there. I have an IA so I'm going to assume it's ok. But I think I'll throw an old bike in the car just in case...

MC

I thought I remembered other Non-UCI bikes not being allowed at Edmonton. I have a friend who I saw bring his beam bike back after being rejected. I just do not understand. There are rules about bikes. Why would anyone

I think the point is that they are not applying the rules equally. None of the current superbikes are UCI legal.. except maybe the new Slice... but it's arguably not a "superbike". Seat tube angle, dimensions of frame elements, hydration options are all illegal. Previous generation bikes can be made legal. They are picking out one rule, then letting he others slide... without any rational explanation or reasoning.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
MCHammers wrote:
Paul,

MC

Yep, life is not fair. But I sure thought I heard folks talking about other bikes what were not allowed. Helmets also.

As we know, not everyone who breaks a rule gets caught, but who would ever go to worlds with an illegal bike is beyond my thinking.

I think the point is that they are not applying the rules equally. None of the current superbikes are UCI legal.. except maybe the new Slice... but it's arguably not a "superbike". Seat tube angle, dimensions of frame elements, hydration options are all illegal. Previous generation bikes can be made legal. They are picking out one rule, then letting he others slide... without any rational explanation or reasoning.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What spec BB does the Dimond use? Awesome bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Maybe Dimond will have a "kit" where you bolt on a thin piece of teardrop shapped CF to the beam and then to the bottom bracket.

Really that would be no worse than a an aluminum rim with a fairing or a disc cover. It's a modification for the sole purpose of improving aerodynamics. The UCI is ridiculous. Just flipping through their 5" thick rule book(s) makes you head spin. It's a lesson in how to eliminate innovation from a sport.

Sorta. The actual intention is to have everybody on basically the same equipment so the best athlete wins, not the person with the fattest wallet. If you have a javelin throw, wouldn't you want the competitors to throw the same javelin to see which one is the best athlete? If one person wins, but he threw a javelin built by NASA and designed by quantum theory supercomputers and it was helium infused between the alloy molecules, then is he really the best athlete?

When beam bikes are a commodity and cost the same to make and buy as an average double diamond, then any athlete can get it and now you're talking about fair competition. That's maybe when UCI will change the rules. When rich people or countries win by wealth, they keep the winnings coming their way and push the poorer athletes continuously to the bottom, and then you'll never get fair competition between people instead of just gear wars. A poor cyclist from Zimbabwe can't afford to get his bike down to 12 lbs or whatever $20,000 will buy you, so the UCI sets the limit at 16 lbs.

No, they aren't saying everybody should ride around on Huffys with solid foam tires. What they are saying is fair competition means setting the equipment standard just low enough so it's not really part of the competition anymore. If you feel this is unfair, then remember that if you have enough money for a beam bike, then you already have enough money to buy better coaching and live in a neighborhood with better training facilities anyway, so you'll be just fine.

If you're looking for bicycle innovation, UCI races are not exactly the right place. It's not that it's bad or good or right or wrong, but it's looking for zebras at a horse farm. They are actually trying to restrain expensive innovation for the betterment of pure human sporting competition. That's why a UCI rulebook is about what you can't do instead of what you can.

If you want to buy your way to winning, Space X is always looking for entrants.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Nov 16, 15 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xplombier wrote:
What spec BB does the Dimond use? Awesome bike!

PressFit 30

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bike is beautiful! I need to keep playing the lotto so maybe I can afford a Dimond one day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next