Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Effects of using different DA crank arms? 7900 & 9000 for Stages.
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair of Dura Ace 7900 crank arms on my Argon 18 E-118, and I was going to buy a Stages power meter today. Turns out there's no DA 7900 in stock anyhwere, and quite a few weeks of delivery time on them. The DA 9000 is in stock however, are there any downsides to using DA 9000 on left crank arm (with stages) and DA 7900 for the right one?
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of using different DA crank arms? 7900 & 9000 for Stages. [Ironswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't think of any. Its' not like crank stiffness is symmetrical anyway. Hell, use a Ultegra or 105 FWIM. Only issue is that the color won't match. Left crank arm has very little if any impact on performance so long as the splines where it mounts to the spindle are in good condition.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of using different DA crank arms? 7900 & 9000 for Stages. [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Can't think of any. Its' not like crank stiffness is symmetrical anyway. Hell, use a Ultegra or 105 FWIM. Only issue is that the color won't match. Left crank arm has very little if any impact on performance so long as the splines where it mounts to the spindle are in good condition.

Well you'll never know how much impact the left crank arm has on performance with 1/2 a power meter...
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of using different DA crank arms? 7900 & 9000 for Stages. [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Well you'll never know how much impact the left crank arm has on performance with 1/2 a power meter...

Given the fact that 99.9% of my rides, my p2m shows the L/R balance as 50/50% I'm fairly sure that doubling the left crank effect will give a correct value
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of using different DA crank arms? 7900 & 9000 for Stages. [Ironswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironswede wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Given the fact that 99.9% of my rides, my p2m shows the L/R balance as 50/50% I'm fairly sure that doubling the left crank effect will give a correct value
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of using different DA crank arms? 7900 & 9000 for Stages. [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Ironswede wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

So sarcasm doesn't work with you then. Noted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What, dont you think that the fact that your watts might be 1-5 off what you are actually putting down is totally outrageous? Geez. Get a SRM Scientific already.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an ultegra 6700 crank and a DA9000 stages crank arm. ...Works like a charm;).

The DA 7900 and 9000 look fairly similar, so I doubt you, or most others would really notice. After all, you only see one side of the bike at a time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh it works, yours was just lame.
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of using different DA crank arms? 7900 & 9000 for Stages. [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
I have an ultegra 6700 crank and a DA9000 stages crank arm. ...Works like a charm;).

The DA 7900 and 9000 look fairly similar, so I doubt you, or most others would really notice. After all, you only see one side of the bike at a time!

+1 on an argon 18 e114 - I confirmed that the q factor is exactly the same before doing it (via shimano support)
Quote Reply