Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did anybody do Capitolaman? Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to make my return to triathlon in 2015 and I want to go big. Considering Capitolaman as my first 140.6. Does anybody have any intel as to how this new race went this year?

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Capitolaman? Thoughts? [DJHollingsworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't do it but my friend won it. Also, being local I heard a lot of feedback from local tri clubs.

If you want to do this, be prepared for a very, ummm, "grass roots" experience!
- no timing chips
- roads not closed
- athletes thought the roads were a bit dangerous (big trucks flying past, with small shoulder to ride on)
- poorly marked course. My friend was in 2nd about 300y behind the leader and the lead moto. Even the moto missed the turnaround and they did an extra 10 miles on the bike.
- run sounds really nice: fire roads, shaded, but people who were out after dark were complaining about lack of lighting or something.
- race director comes across as a bit of a DB, although in a funny kind of way. He basically deleted negative comments on the FB page, and seemed pretty antagonistic and unapologetic towards the athletes. The guy leading the bike got demoralized and called his wife to pick him up, and the RD called him a quitter, saying that Dean (my friend) also missed the turn and was the overall winner, and not the overall whiner!
- race director also brags about his own achievements, which based on my very short googling seem to be overstated. For example he was saying about how many times he's done Kona including a 9:20. However based on my quick search the best he's done is 10:31 in 1996. I'm sure some ST sleuths could uncover the truth, I don't care enough to dig that deep. His name is Kem Akol.

So, for me personally I wouldn't do this race. There is a great half distance race the day before in Santa Cruz called the Big Kahuna which is well organized and super fun. I'd 110% rather do that race. However if you wanted a big training day, somewhat supported and the chance to do some extra miles, and you like a very grass roots experience, then consider it. I'm not sure whether this race will happen again though, based on the super high level of negative feedback.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Capitolaman? Thoughts? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, thanks for the info. Bummer, sounds like it could be a great venue if done well. The search continues.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And for the WTC haters out there, this is why I steer clear of most independents. You get what you pay for and I would rather pay more to make sure it's a well-organized race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do the race since I had already signed up for IMLT, which was a week after CapitolaMan, but I still followed its Facebook page for a possible 2015 entry. The RD came off as a total d-bag when responding to athlete concerns after the race. No way I'd sign up for his race in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a shame. Was hoping for this to be a viable alternative to WTC events.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. I was watching for feedback on this too.
Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do the race, but I know the course and the race director. I look at the event as a supported training day- a very long one, the race director is a good guy just "different"
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Capitolaman? Thoughts? [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the race. Was the worst race I have ever done. And the RD is a complete basket case, I could describe the clusterf&*k of events that went on that day, but it's simply too much. Let's just say that there were so many complaints on their facebook page, that the RD went in and just deleted them all.

If you wanna a good non WTC race, next door is the Big Kahuna Half Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Capitolaman? Thoughts? [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, based on the feedback I think I'm going to stay closer to home. Now eyeballing Challenge Penticton.

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good call - I've done a Challenge race and it was even better than WTC

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad this kind of thing happens. It is precisely why independent races have a hard time getting entrants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJHollingsworth wrote:
Now eyeballing Challenge Penticton.

Should have about the same number of racers.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep! I did participate the Capitolaman event!
From the beginning to the very end, It was not a a nice experience!
If you want to do 140.6, you may as well set up a few cones around your neighborhood and just go at it.
I posted many constructive comments on facebook but they were all deleted.
The race director seems to be a nut case! I will never participate an event with his name on it.
The event is poorly organized. The bike course is dangerous. It's an open course, and the traffic and the road condition are pretty bad. I got lost twice and rode 123 miles. At times, I had to stop and waited for other participants to make sure they did not miss the turn.
The majority of participants dropped out after the bike. I don't blame them! Its just not worth it.
I finished the the race but looking back, it was just not worth it to go thru all that disappointment and unpleasant experience.
In fact, I am looking into writing to USA Triathlon to not sanction the event unless the race director change and implement the race course and logistic.
It is just way too unsafe to race an ironman distance in such condition.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Capitolaman? Thoughts? [sjphat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry you had an unpleasant experience. We certainly did learn a lot from our experience this year...and how to place road barricades that won't blow over! If you would like we will credit you a substantial discount for a 'redo'. This year's bike course will be a 2 lap course in the foothills East of Aptos and Corralitos...(beautiful riding). Out of the 50 pioneer racers this year 38 finished! (and no crashes)...Best menu ever...great shirts, hoodies, medals, and trophies...and the best scenery...bring your own headlamp this year...unless you want to use ours...Kem...Capitolaman
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Capitolaman? Thoughts? [kemakol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered moving the date of the race to maybe later in the Fall? Currently, the race is one week before IMLT, and I'd venture a guess that many people would opt for the Ironman branded event (even at a higher cost $$).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
- roads not closed

Where are these races where the roads are closed? In 5 years of tris and WTC and Rev3 races, I have yet to race one. I'd love to do one. Maybe Kona is.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Did anybody do Capitolaman? Thoughts? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, most races are not on closed roads, but most races have police stationed at major intersections stopping traffic. This race did not have any officers at any intersections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
robgray wrote:
- roads not closed

Where are these races where the roads are closed? In 5 years of tris and WTC and Rev3 races, I have yet to race one. I'd love to do one. Maybe Kona is.

I'd say about 95-100 miles of the 112 miles of IMC-Whistler are on closed roads.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
robgray wrote:
- roads not closed

Branson 70.3 was on beautifully paved closed roads. Alas, WTC nuked the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
robgray wrote:
- roads not closed

Ironman Switzerland
Challenge Henley
Ironman Couer d'Alene
Kona
Ironman Los Cabos
Ironman South Africa
Oceanside 70.3

For at least 90% of the bike course, all of those races at least have one side of the road coned off for most of it, some roads fully closed, and police/marshalls at all intersections and other potentially dangerous areas.

The one exception was Vineman, where the roads were not closed, but the road choice seemed for the most part to be on roads with limited traffic.

Quote Reply