Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
You bring up another point--in my area shops will give clubs or groups 5% on BIKES but 10-15% off on accessories--and I've read/heard that accessories and service are where they make their money so they can give the bigger discount...

Depends on the store, but in my experience that is false. Most bikes are restricted to MAP policies and consequently discounts aren't just "handed out" willy nilly due to margin policies.

The only places you'll see greater than 35% discounts on "new" bikes advertised are (generally):

a) Stores that are going out of business
b) Stores that are no longer going to carry that manufacturer
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

Depends on the store, but in my experience that is false. Most bikes are restricted to MAP policies and consequently discounts aren't just "handed out" willy nilly due to margin policies.

Clarification:

MAP - Minimum Advertised Price - Most manufacturers allow retailers to can charge whatever they want, as long as it's not advertised below the MAP price. MAP pricing is put in place to protect the brand, protect the retailers (large and small) by ensuring they make a "fair" profit when they carry a product. Is it price fixing, it's a gray area, and the retailer can charge what they want so the price isn't fixed.

I'm just this guy ya know?
Last edited by: blanco: Sep 21, 14 16:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next