Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bontrager Race Lite - worth rebuilding?
Quote | Reply
Nine year old rear wheel slightly out of round, so I took it to LBS and several of the spokes are frozen. He is soaking them but indicated that I might want to start looking for new wheel. I ride with the owner and trust him. Unfortunately, I know zero about wheels and don't want to drop $400+ on new ones. If the rim & hub are still in good shape, is it cost effective to just replace the spokes?

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Race Lite - worth rebuilding? [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they the bladed spokes? Or just double/triple butted spokes?

Any descent shop should be able to replace a few spokes in a wheel quickly and relatively inexpensively.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Race Lite - worth rebuilding? [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
Are they the bladed spokes? Or just double/triple butted spokes?

Any descent shop should be able to replace a few spokes in a wheel quickly and relatively inexpensively.

Bladed...10 pair.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything else wrong with the wheel? Brake track wear, cracked eyelets, shot bearings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
Anything else wrong with the wheel? Brake track wear, cracked eyelets, shot bearings?

I looked over the wheels very closely and they seem fine, although I did not look for cracked eyelets. My friend closed his retail shop and just works on bikes for friends. Haven't checked with him on the cost of new spokes. Couldn't find any on ebay. Where is the best place to buy new spokes?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take off very good condition much newer (sometimes brand new) race lites can be had on ebay for significantly less than 400 bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure with these wheels. The bladed spoke may be discontinued.

If I remember correctly they are typical with 90 degree bent head. If you do not care you can replace with a simple double butted spoke like a DT competition.

Not as aero, but functional. A spoke like this would be a couple bucks a piece. Not sure about cost to true a wheel as it varies regionally. And I would just do it myself so I have not paid for a while. I no longer wrench at a shop (have not done so for at least 6years)
Last edited by: FTDA: Sep 19, 14 12:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair from 2010... they might be RXL's by same design. You could replace it with a standard spoke the same length. That's what I'd do.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the help guys

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.velopress.com/...-maintenance-4th-ed/

Pick this up. Part of racing a bike should include becoming competent on maintaining a bike.

And get this if you really want to learn about wheels.

http://www.amazon.com/...dition/dp/0960723668
Last edited by: FTDA: Sep 19, 14 12:59
Quote Reply