Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CO2 Cartridges and Kona
Quote | Reply
I am assuming that these are abundant in Kona since everyone that flies in is told not to have them either on the carry on, in the check bags, or with the Tri Bike Transport.

Where is the easiest place to grab a handful of these race week? Does someone at the Expo sell them or do you need to go to a local bike shop somewhere?

Yeah, 3 weeks out, so I am starting to sweat the small details now!

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Cartridges and Kona [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being the "belt and suspenders" kind of guy that I am, I would probably toss a small mini pump in my luggage, just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the expo consists of these days, but Walmart should have plenty, for cheap. Keep the packaging and the bonus of buying them there is you can probably return them if you can't find someone local to give them to when you leave, rather than throwing them in the trash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good place to get them is Bike Works, the local bike shop. If you keep your receipt, they will take them back after the race. . not sure if it is for a full refund or store credit. Otherwise, yes, they are easy to get at the Expo.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Cartridges and Kona [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a full refund from BW last year and will be getting mine there again this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can buy them at the expo along with most everything.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Cartridges and Kona [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would probably toss a small mini pump in my luggage

I always do this whenever I fly anywhere. Can't take the Co2 on the plane and if I am riding first thing in the morning wherever I am going (Which is very often the case), I'll not be able to get to a shop to buy some C02.

I just assume that first ride will be with the mini-pump and no Co2.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the bike shops will have a ton of them, but if you're looking for something specific like the 16g threaded, then you want to go early. Last year the two bike shops on Alii Drive (Hawaiian Pedals and I forget the other one) ran out of the 16g threaded by Thursday.

I prefer threaded on race day because the chuck I use has the knob to control air flow and is much smaller and easier to tuck under the saddle. For training I just use the cheap non threaded 12g you can get from walmart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just came back from 70.3 Worlds and did a little experiment. Put the C02 in the outside pocket of my CHECKED luggage. They made it all the way back from Canada (purchased at village). I did not put them in my bike case because and I did not want the boys at the airport going through my bike bag any more then they should.

So...I say pack them but not in your carry on or bike bag. Put them in a easy outside pocket so as to not look like you are hiding them. If they take them...so be it. If not, one less thing to stress about on your trip. I had to do a man hunt for those babies on Saturday before race day.
Quote Reply
Re: CO2 Cartridges and Kona [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The airline taking you to Hawaii will provide two complimentary CO2 cartridges for each racer. They're wrapped up in a bunch of yellow plastic underneath each airplane seat. Not sure what size they are, though, or whether they're threaded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're using TBT then just put your CO2's in a bento or saddle bag or draft box (for those of us with a Trek SC) that's on your bike. That way the CO2's go with your bike. I have done that 5x.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply