Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet
Quote | Reply
I have never flown to a race before but have been lucky and blessed and will be heading to Kona in a few weeks.

Questions keep popping into my head, today's is:

How do you travel with your aero helmet? I will remove the visor and make sure that it is packed safe, but what about the ear flaps (which are super flexible). Do you guys carry your helmet on? I am sure some of you have a rigid case, but I don't. My best idea right now is to build something stiff our of card board or something and check it with the bags, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry it on. I also carry on my bike shoes (with custom orthotic).
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [gilabruce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of throwing the bike shows into the TriBikeTransport gear back (damn those things stink!).

I hate the idea of carrying on that helmet, but that is what I am looking at right now.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
I was thinking of throwing the bike shows into the TriBikeTransport gear back (damn those things stink!).

I hate the idea of carrying on that helmet, but that is what I am looking at right now.

Please wear it. Then have someone take a photo of you on the plane mid flight with it on your head. Actually, wear your entire kit. Awesome. Lol

Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Please wear it. Then have someone take a photo of you on the plane mid flight with it on your head. Actually, wear your entire kit. Awesome. Lol

That would be fantastic! I would probably end up divorced, but I have to think that would be viral video before the plane landed.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'd reduce the CdA of the plane and make it more fuel efficient.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:

Nah, going through security in full tri regalia is where its at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown to 3 races with my Selector - always goes in one of my suitcases. I typically dedicate a suitcase to my race gear: pump, helmet, tools, kit, shoes, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just pack some soft clothes in the helmet bag. Stuff some in the helmet and some around it. It'll look like a fat little sausage and your helmet will be safe and secure.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furious D wrote:
It'd reduce the CdA of the plane and make it more fuel efficient.

This.

As long as he doesn't look down, or turn his head, during the flight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear mine. Turn it backwards and pull it down low when you want to take a nap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a related, but different note...Might that helmet be a bit toasty in Kona? Curius about thoughts on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friends on the UNC tri team just wear them on the plane...

Edit to fix the image...

I tweet!

Last edited by: ZackCapets: Sep 19, 14 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I figured. In the event of plane crash, tha Javelin outta save him from a head injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
On a related, but different note...Might that helmet be a bit toasty in Kona? Curius about thoughts on that.

I am thinking about that angle with no conclusion yet.

I have raced it here and done select training rides here in New Orleans in the heat with the vents taped shut and have never had a problem.

The temps/humidity here is similar to Kona, but I have never done a 140.6 in it in those conditions, so there is an unknown factor for me out there.

Sunday (20 days from race day) is my last really big day (5 hour ride in full race gear with full race nutrition at race power and then 1.5 hour run off the bike at race pace).

I will try the Javelin for that ride (maybe with the vents un-taped) and use that data to draw my final conclusion.

I will probably bring two helmets to Kona though and do some more testing there during the time prior to race.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(5 hour ride in full race gear with full race nutrition at race power and then 1.5 hour run off the bike at race pace)

For realz? That sounds dumb.

Quote:
I am thinking about that angle with no conclusion yet.

I have raced it here and done select training rides here in New Orleans in the heat with the vents taped shut and have never had a problem.

I rode a selector in 2012. I did a couple pre-race rides with the visor, and then decided against the visor on race day - not because of feeling overheated, but I just found the sweat dripping off my face more and it was really annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I packed socks and shirts in mine to hold it's form while in my checked luggage.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Quote:
(5 hour ride in full race gear with full race nutrition at race power and then 1.5 hour run off the bike at race pace)

For realz? That sounds dumb.

To each his own. This works for me.

Can't most people recover from a 5 hour 0.70FTP ride and a 12 mile run in 3 weeks - given several long training months in advance (55 hours in June, 76 hour in July, 84 hours in August, 50 hours so far in September) and then a significantly reduced training load for the 3 following weeks?

Seems reasonable to me, but like I noted, to each his own. I will go with what got me there.

Ironman Certified Coach

Last edited by: bufit323: Sep 19, 14 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct you can be recovered in time for the race, but what training are you missing out on by having to recover so "deeply" on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I ride the Javelin in humid, hot climates and it's quite fine - in fact, I'm right now writing this from a training camp, helping a mate who qualified prepare. Un-tape the vents and go visor-less, apparently it's faster that way anyhow.

As for packing, the flaps are indeed the fragile point. I always travel with the visor undone (and lately, I've stopped using it completely) but one flap was damaged by a volunteer, when my T2 bag ended up at the bottom of the pile.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with Bell Javelin Helmet [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Correct you can be recovered in time for the race, but what training are you missing out on by having to recover so "deeply" on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.

From that perspective, I understand your point. In a vacuum, I would totally agree and abide by it. This season has been much different for me on many fronts, and racing Kona is much different from my previous IM experience.

Because of those things, I really wanted the mental boost and confidence from going out in ultra hot and humid conditions (potentially worse than race day) and doing nearly the whole ride and a long run just to make sure I knew where I stood. I was also testing out a different nutrition plan as well as a kit configuration that is different for me.

All that said, I did learn at least one thing. I am totally able to stomach 40oz/ hour of Perform. I was surprised though that as the heat really got cranking, this level wasn't enough to cause me to urinate. Now I am wondering if I should try to take on even more.

I thought for sure that A, I wouldn't be able to stomach it and would get nausietaed, or B, I would be constantly urinating and thus confirm that I was staying hydrated,

While it was cool earl on (low 80s) I peed maybe once per hour (twice), then things got real hot (mid 90s) and I managed to pee once more over the next three hours.

Do you know of anyone that plans to take on over 40oz per hour in fluid at hot IM?

In cooler conditions, I have had awesome results at 20oz/hour.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using TriBike Transport? I always just wrap my helmet up very nicely and put it in my gear bag and let them take it. Never had a problem.

Best wishes for a Great experience!
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply