Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train)
Quote | Reply
Did 12 weeks of weights this spring to improve strength for this year's tri season.

Unfortunately, I did not have a tri season thanks to some unknown (impalpable and unascertainable) injury.

Many docs and therapist say different things, but it causes pain and tightness (burning) in my hip and hamstring. All tests and diagnostics are normal.

My weight training (for lower body) consisted of:
1) squats
2) quad raises
3) hamstring curls
4) abductor machine
5) adductor machine

All weights were done once weekly. Each set was performed to failure at 4-10 reps.

As a physio or as an educated athlete, what muscle would you expect to find imbalanced such that it would cause disfunction?

Also, I work at a desk (which I've done for 5 years) without issue until now and despite stretching my psoas I cannot find relief.

The hamstring and hip are most problematic while running. They sometimes flare during a ride or swim, but do not limit cycling or swimming. To be clear, the "pain" during running is not about pain intolerance but rather, it's about the pain that causes my runs to grind to a stop after about 60 min.

Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train) [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xsive wrote:
Also, I work at a desk (which I've done for 5 years) without issue until now and despite stretching my psoas I cannot find relief.

Odd question - Have you had the same chair? I had a chair where the cushion got compressed over time and the support bar that I wasn't cushioned from started causing a few issues.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lived with the same issue while running as well. Its a weakness on my right side - hip, hamstrings. Causes my right foot to "kickstand" and my right knee to bow in at impact. My gait is off as well. I am trying to address this with strength training but everything is one side at a time. Lots of clams, lots of one legged squats - the routine takes about 10 mins and I do it 5 times per week. I am also mindful of walking with my right foot straight. I am running in small chunks, focused on right foot planting straight and doing the right arm swing - this is hard and requires focus.

This is a ST members blog and may be helpful

http://strong-running.blogspot.com/...ral-walk-to-fix.html
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had indeed switched to a new office chair around the time this began, but I have since spent $500 on the ergo chair with no relief.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent observation. Overuse probably played a role and bike position probably did too.

The problem with saying that these two things alone caused the problem is that I have taken as much as 4 weeks off from running and riding (swam only) and I have seen a pro fitter.

On the other hand, when I ride I get sore in my gluteus area (on the affected side), but it's a good soreness- the kind that you feel from using a muscle in a new way (maybe my gluteus medius was inhibited like on PT said). Nevertheless, the problem remains unresolved.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train) [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also would like to point out that this began around the same time that I received the flu vaccine.

I recall this last year b/c I got the vaccine early this year (yesterday) and today I ache all over.

I am pro vaccine, but some insight on the part of the medical community would probably help supply an intervention.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
No muscle imbalance.
Overuse injury or position on the bike has hip angle too tight.

Pls elaborate on the hip/fit and how you reached your opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More importantly - what kind of running training background/volume were you doing prior to running such 60 minute runs all at once? If you're doing minimal running, you can get all sorts of aches and pains limiting performance until you acclimate gradually to the training load. Sharp stabbing pain is concerning, yes, but again, I doubt something like machine strength training will ever fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't even try to give an opinion (not enough experience) but I'd be intersted in a few things:

Did you ever get an MRI done? What was the longest period of time you took completely off to rest it? How heavy were the weights you were working with? Did the problem start after a particular workout (tri or weights)?
Last edited by: jschm13: Sep 19, 14 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prior to the "injury" I was running 40-75 mpw, which was my baseline for four years prior to this year.

Admittedly, I was mixing more speed work into my weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Predict my muscle imbalance (tri and X-train) [jschm13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRI is one thing that I haven't done; partly because it's expensive and partly because whatever it reads the recommendation will be "no physical activity for 3-6 mos."

Rest- I have taken off 2 weeks twice, 10 days twice, and 4 weeks once.

Weights- squatting 235-275 free, but all other lower body weights were on machines.

The injury- felt it when I got out of bed one morning. The previous day's workout was unremarkable.

One thing that makes me think that it's a muscle imbalance is that both knee caps seem to lightly abrade when I walk. I have never experienced improper knee tracking until now. The knee not tracking/abrading/lightly popping is most noticeable in the morning after getting out of bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How proficient are you in strength training-- those are some pretty decent numbers (although I don't know your height/weight) so I'm assuming that you know what you're doing and you're not one of those guys quarter repping 225 in the smith machine. Were the squats performed to parallel/past parallel? High bar/low bar? The reason I ask is that when I first started squatting I also had nagging hip flexor pain (no sudden onset) caused by some poor technique and too heavy loading on my part-- took a few months to go away and I never really got a diagnosis for it either. All the stretching and the pt work in the world didn't do anything either just a bit of rest and fixing improper technique and movement patterns on my part.
Quote Reply