Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
J Gers wrote:
NY Post is mentioning Strava in their articles today:

http://nypost.com/2014/09/20/central-park-cyclist-veered-into-wrong-lanes-before-tragic-crash/

His blazing speeds are uploaded — precise to the 10th of a mile per hour — onto a competitive running and cycling Web site.
“New Chain, brakes and RD(7800gs),” he had boasted earlier Thursday on the Strava site, referring to a new rear derailleur for his bike. “All systems go.”
Hours before he slammed into Tarlov, Marshall had logged 32.2 miles of cycling during a predawn spin through the park, the site says — and listed his top speed for that ride at 35.6 mph, well over the 25mph speed limit for bikes and cars.
His maximum speed during five sprints on that same downhill stretch of West Drive during his Thursday-morning ride was 28.9mph, his data on Strava says.

"5 sprints" + "downhill" @ 28.9 mph max = blazing speeds???

On a mtb, perhaps.
Fantastic journalism, NYP.

This is in no way to make light of a terrible accident.
Just the ridiculous, inflammatory, shoddy reporting of same.

I bet he deletes his account soon
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not that this wasn't unexpected, but s*** just got real.

From a post on CRCA Foundation's facebook page

Quote:

NYC Cycling enthusiasts: I went into the park this morning to speak with a few officers from the Central Park precinct about the current enforcement mandate from their CO. They told me they will be ticketing cyclists for riding through red lights and speeding above 25mph at any time of day, including the early morning hours. Please take that into consideration when doing your club rides for the next couple of weeks...that is all...

someone need to take a radar gun to see how fast all the cabs are going...
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 22, 14 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
not that this wasn't unexpected, but s*** just got real.

From a post on CRCA Foundation's facebook page

Quote:

NYC Cycling enthusiasts: I went into the park this morning to speak with a few officers from the Central Park precinct about the current enforcement mandate from their CO. They told me they will be ticketing cyclists for riding through red lights and speeding above 25mph at any time of day, including the early morning hours. Please take that into consideration when doing your club rides for the next couple of weeks...that is all...

someone need to take a radar gun to see how fast all the cabs are going...

Yeah, some genuine concern there. Why only worry about it for the next couple of weeks, immature attitude IMHO.
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Sep 22, 14 0:19
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [strongnshaved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just heard on tv that the woman has passed away.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
No, everyone is the problem. It's Central Freaking Park. The whole world comes here to check it out. Walkers are also the problem, they just happen to be the ones with the least amount of protection.

RowToTri stated it best. Read what he wrote, it's dead on.

I have done a few duathlons there and its scary as hell. Even at an organized race there are people EVERYWHERE.

Everyone feels entitled. Everyone seems to have forgotten that there are rules of "Man" (pedestrians have the right of way) and there are rules of nature (pedestrians will get dead quick if a 2 ton car hits you whether you are right or wrong).

Runners runnign3 or 4 across in the wrong lanes in the wrong directions. Cyclists going way too fast. Pedestrians walking anywhere at anytime without looking up from their iPhones. Skateboarders. rollerbladers, dogs, horses, squirrels. Noise, distractions, type A personalities. IT's the perfect storm for accidents.

couldn't agree more.

wishing the woman a good recovery... it saddens me to hear about these accidents....

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Axles of Evil wrote:

Wow, very tragic and sad news to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toebutt769 wrote:
Let's just not forget that there's a woman who is brain dead. Regardless of what the cyclist did, or didn't do, this woman's brain dead. Be it a stolen bike, a poor rider, poorly kept equipment, pedestrian aloofness, she's brain dead.

There is NEVER a safe time to ride in Central Park. It's either too early, and you'll get a ticket, or it's too late, and you'll hit a dog, attached to a stroller, attached to a mommy group. I still think riding the trainer is the safest, but is you really must be outside, the West Side Highway path, and 9W are significantly safer. Prospect Park isn't any better. I was doing the Al Goldstein Summer Series a while back, and a jogger not with the race literally got ridden over. She was jogging in the bike lane, but the cyclist wasn't paying attention as he was talking to his crew behind him as she jumped out in front of him.

Finally, you don't have to be going that fast to 1) knock someone over, and 2) have that someone lose their balance and hit their head. We don't know anything besides the rider, the woman, and the people that were right there. The article written purely from one point of view, and it unfortunately paints a further blemished picture of cyclists.

To your point, I've always wondered why people ride in the park. Laps and laps of a 6-mile loop with runners/walkers all over the place and unpredictable cross traffic. I enjoy running in the park but if I lived there and wanted to go for a ride, I would hit the West Side path and head north. I ran a fair ways up it once and it seems like it would be a great ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching the video on the morning news, it's amazing to me that anyone would build up that much speed on a bike. Foot traffic seemed to be relentless and in the hundreds, if not thousands of people to dodge.

Truly a tragic accident and my condolences on the family's loss.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Axles of Evil wrote:

Wow, very tragic and sad news to read.

indeed. Condolences

cjbruin wrote:
toebutt769 wrote:
Let's just not forget that there's a woman who is brain dead. Regardless of what the cyclist did, or didn't do, this woman's brain dead. Be it a stolen bike, a poor rider, poorly kept equipment, pedestrian aloofness, she's brain dead.

There is NEVER a safe time to ride in Central Park. It's either too early, and you'll get a ticket, or it's too late, and you'll hit a dog, attached to a stroller, attached to a mommy group. I still think riding the trainer is the safest, but is you really must be outside, the West Side Highway path, and 9W are significantly safer. Prospect Park isn't any better. I was doing the Al Goldstein Summer Series a while back, and a jogger not with the race literally got ridden over. She was jogging in the bike lane, but the cyclist wasn't paying attention as he was talking to his crew behind him as she jumped out in front of him.

Finally, you don't have to be going that fast to 1) knock someone over, and 2) have that someone lose their balance and hit their head. We don't know anything besides the rider, the woman, and the people that were right there. The article written purely from one point of view, and it unfortunately paints a further blemished picture of cyclists.

To your point, I've always wondered why people ride in the park. Laps and laps of a 6-mile loop with runners/walkers all over the place and unpredictable cross traffic. I enjoy running in the park but if I lived there and wanted to go for a ride, I would hit the West Side path and head north. I ran a fair ways up it once and it seems like it would be a great ride.

what do you think is a safe speed on a multi-use path that is barely more than 10 feet wide? The section between 59th and 96th and the section between 135 and 155 are royal clusterf*** in the summer time, too, as those are prime picnic areas.

the only place would could otherwise train is 9W, which is an 45 min away one way.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only bike/ped collision happened on the west side highway a little north Chelsea pier when some guy sauntered into my path without looking at all. Luckily neither of us got hurt and my bike just ended up with an out of true front wheel. IMO, the whole thing is much more dangerous than the park
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He could be facing 2nd degree manslaughter if they press charges.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [rmontalbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmontalbon wrote:
And so the crackdown begins. The dog looks embarrassed.....

http://nypost.com/...horrific-bike-crash/

Side note, is this Larry David?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
what do you think is a safe speed on a multi-use path that is barely more than 10 feet wide? The section between 59th and 96th and the section between 135 and 155 are royal clusterf*** in the summer time, too, as those are prime picnic areas.

the only place would could otherwise train is 9W, which is an 45 min away one way.

OK. But that entire section is only ~5 miles. Pretty good distance for a warmup and/or cool down.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:
echappist wrote:

OK. But that entire section is only ~5 miles. Pretty good distance for a warmup and/or cool down.

For most, riding to 9W in NJ is quite a trek and thus only suitable for long rides. It is 14 miles from my apartment downtown to the Jersey side of the GWB which takes nearly an hour given that you can't get up to speed on the West Side Highway (WSH).

The WSH path is extremely congested - even more so than the CP Loop. People walk, skateboard, jog, you name it - in the narrow-ish bike lanes even when there is a perfectly suitable multi-use path closer to the Hudson River. There is no way I would ever go aero on this path except for certain times - before 5 or maybe 6 am, when there is absolutely no one on the road. Much more dangerous than the CP Loop, simply because the loop has 3 full car-length lanes for you to spread out in and the WSH path is about 10 feet wide.

Due to the distance, logistics and other safety problems of riding to NJ, the CP loop is the safest and most convenient outdoor training option in the city for rides less than, say, 2 hours. However, I NEVER ride on any afternoon, period, and if I must do a long ride on the weekend it has to be over by 8 am. I am on my trainer for 80-90% of my rides and typically only ride in the park on weekday AM rides when there are close to zero tourists in the park. Typically there are just a handful of joggers and other riders such as myself and I have had next to zero close calls during this time.

Sad story and condolences to her family. Hope this raises the attention level of both cyclists and pedestrians in the park.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like the group from Danny's Cycles. I can't believe a shop endorses such reckless behavior. I've seen it many afternoons in the park, the group does interval training in fully decked out TT gear.

With regards to Central Park - there is no reason to do a training ride in the park after 7am. It simply gets too crowded. From 5-7 the park is primarily comprised of runners & cyclists.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran early AM in CP last week on thursday and friday. I don't know if they were issuing tickets but cops were out with radar guns and pulling over cyclists by the dozens one morning. This was before the park was open for cars during the peak group ride time.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [JoshKaptur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a little more info:

http://cyclistsinternational.com/...with-bicyclist-dies/

absolutely agree no way do I ride past 7AM in the park (other than commuting to work on single speed). And I have only been on TT bike once in the park I choose to only use road bike there and keep TT on trainer or for rides out of the city.

eta

and one more: http://cyclistsinternational.com/...in-pedestrian-death/
Last edited by: meuf: Sep 22, 14 15:59
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this was posted yet, but CBS actually did a very good job reporting the accident. Tragic that it's the same company that the widower is a Senior VP of.

Here is the link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/...ies/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

It's very fair I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman brain dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article is quite fair.

The comments on the other hand... ooof.

The top one is my fave (I didn't scroll down very far - didn't want to risk losing more IQ points):
Quote:
Simple solution to this problem. When the police see a bicyclist exceeding 25 mph and jeopardizing public safety, the POLICE must be RESPONSIBLE to PULL THEM OVER, and PUT HANDCUFFS ON THEM. PUT THEM IN ***JAIL***. You want a safe city - simple - remove those who jeopardize public safety and REMOVE THESE UNREASONABLE DANGERS from the public. How many more have to DIE until the POLICE DO THEIR JOB? PUT THESE CRIMINALS in PRISON where they belong.

Yes, speeding cyclists should be JAILED.
Just like they do for speeding drivers, right? Since cars/trucks/taxis/buses are actually many, many times more dangerous to pedestrians than bikes.
Oh, wait.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next