Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
When I first started watching the Kona videos, I used to silently cheer on these people, the ones that are bent over, zig zagging down the road with the medical staff running beside them.

Now however, I'm not so sure. I recently watched the 2009 edition and people at the end of the video kind of make me think.. "well you just haven't trained enough, perhaps you should have more endurance experience behind you before attempting this, perhaps this sport just isn't for you"
What are your thoughts?
Frankly, my first thought upon reading your post was: aren't we judgmental. And who are you to determine of triathlon is the sport for them?
And I understand and have known people who are poorly trained, or don't take training nearly as seriously as I do who want to participate in endurance events. But I feel if they want to do it then who am I to judge.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Quite frankly, it takes more mental determination to finish a 17hr IM than a 9 hr IM. You have to push yourself harder and longer.

quote]

Note: I have not read the entire thread.

While I agree with the general point you are trying to make, I disagree with the bold. I have IM finishes ranging from 11:40 to 16:32 and I disagree that a 17 hour IM requires you to push harder and longer. Longer yes, harder no.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [MarkM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkM wrote:
Devlin wrote:
earthling wrote:

Those are the people that should do an Ironamn - not the world championships. If you are not good enough to finish you should be doing a local event, not be thinking you are part of the amazing crowd that are gifted and dedicated enough to get there in the first place. Reality is that some people commit a massive part of the lives to getting to Kona, and others who buy their way in, get lottery slots when they know they are not fit enough to finish or simply by chance otherwise end up with a slot devalue the sport when they cannot finish.

Kona is an age group and pro world championship - but it is rapidly being devalued by people who cannot finish, let alone commit to the life style necessary to get a recognized slot there.

Jamaica bob sled team. Eddie "The Eagle" - ski jumper for Britain. St. Kitts cycling. Eric Moussambini - Equatorial Guinea swimming (1:52 for the 100).

All of these competed at the bottom rung of the ladder at the Olympics, arguably the highest pinnacle of sport. Do their performances devalue the winner?

John

No because they somehow qualified to be there.

In some cases, the "qualification" was they showed up. There are slots for the Olympics that are "discretionary" based on the country involved, development and other considerations to where the NGB can just point at someone (essentially) and say "Hey! You wanna go compete at the Olympics?"

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty much it, and there are cases where those spots are given as political favours, etc.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
When I first started watching the Kona videos, I used to silently cheer on these people, the ones that are bent over, zig zagging down the road with the medical staff running beside them.

Now however, I'm not so sure. I recently watched the 2009 edition and people at the end of the video kind of make me think.. "well you just haven't trained enough, perhaps you should have more endurance experience behind you before attempting this, perhaps this sport just isn't for you"

What are your thoughts?

Oddly enough I just finished watching the 2013 video on youtube, and the final minute of the film shows how some finishers cross the line past the cut off, but most surely add value to the event.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
ENP wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Yeah, because they didn't train enough to qualify in the first place.

Weak sauce. 3/10.

John

I disagree. "Qualifying" for Kona means many different things (i.e., corporate slot).

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [MarkM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just want to make sure people know the difference between MarkM (not me) and Mark M. (Me). I have completed Kona twice, in 1991 when I was invited ( long story) and 2001 as a lottery selection. I qualified for neither of those races, which were among the hardest, and best, days of my life.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should turn it into a two-day-event like the 70.3 WC next year in Zell am See. On Saturday everybody can register for the event like any other Ironman race, on Sunday the WC for all the athletes who qualified for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and I came here to see the '14 carnage

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark M wrote:
Just want to make sure people know the difference between MarkM (not me) and Mark M. (Me). I have completed Kona twice, in 1991 when I was invited ( long story) and 2001 as a lottery selection. I qualified for neither of those races, which were among the hardest, and best, days of my life.

You might have completed it twice, but in my opinion you are yet to take part in a world championship.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Mark M [ In reply to ]
Re: Kona Video- Watching People not Make 17 Hour Cut Off [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Mark M wrote:

You might have completed it twice, but in my opinion you are yet to take part in a world championship.

In my opinion, you don't understand the history and heritage of the event.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply

Prev Next