Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do i ride my bike, keep training and keep my girlfriend? [tim thoru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have to ask this question, you are with the wrong woman. I know from experience and about $250,000 in lose and 5 bikes. :(

Now that I am with the right woman, I have built up a few bikes for her and we are riding our first Fondo together this weekend. Oh and the bikes are getting back up to where they should be and I think we have about 10 in the garage again.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike, keep training and keep my girlfriend? [tim thoru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she's already trouble as a 'girlfriend', then it won't get better. Tell her very directly what this means to you and if she's not 100% on board, move on.
Life's too short to be with someone who already doesn't get you a few months into the relationship.
In my case, I married a girl who's dad was and is a hard core roadie...she thinks it's normal :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim DeBoom posts beautiful photos of Colorado trails and roads and of his daughter and wife on Instagram. He posted this message with a photo of a mountain trail a couple of days ago:

"I love my family more than anything in this world, but being alone in places like this, and getting here under my own power, make me who I am."

An honest statement. I feel the same and hope our spouses/significant others and families understand.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 19, 14 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tim thoru wrote:
hi everyone, I'm sorry, maybe this is repeated post and my English not so good

i got big trouble now, i got one good girlfriend, she really nice to me but she hate to ride my bike. we started our relationship early last year. at the beginning she understand about my training routine. but when come around 7 months , we always argued about this matter until today. i used to ride my bike every noon(5-6 times per week) when i come back from work. on last October(2013) i don't want make she feel "lonely" i decided to meet her 5days/week include weekend. i change my training schedule which at morning on weekend, and 3 time only on weekdays. but its come to worse , since April she want to meet me 7days/week. its really my MOOD and performance+nutrition. yesterday she claim me why I'm became so bad lately. and i told her, i'm in stress because i got no time to ride on my bike. she said she hate me because put her on SECOND place. wow!! i have already decrease my training day because of her and since April i just training on trainer(SO BORING MAN!!) we got big fight last night, but i love her so much. anyone can give me a solution :(

Tell her that she's not second place. She's actually fourth place behind swim, bike and run. Just kidding.

Find a compromise. There is almost always a win-win compromise out there. Put your heads and hearts together and find it. It's there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. the bike always comes first
2. lose the girlfriend

It took me a couple years but I got rid of mine and now I can ride as much as I like. Let's be honest is your girlfriend going to give you hours of enjoyment every day and when your done you can just put her away, eat, and take a nap? I am in my 20's so I have time. As of right now fitness is the priority, girls seem to be fairly easy to come by. When they get a little more difficult to find maybe I will ride less.

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple. Find a new girlfriend. When I met my girlfriend, I told her straight up that I race Triathlon, I train alot, I will be gone alot training, and if she's not happy being independent, find a new boyfriend because I will not sacrifice my training. Well, 2.5 years later, she's still here.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike, keep training and keep my girlfriend? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're hysterical!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are quite a few humorous posts here, a lot of tongue in cheek!

Still, I disagree with some of the well meaning ones.

A lot of folks say 'ditch the girl, find someone who's tri-compatible!' I dont' think that's necessarily true. Your GF/spouse often WILL have traits far more important than triathlon, even if it's your life's most serious interest. Triathlon interest ranks on the bottom of desirable traits for GF/spouse, honestly, and is essentially a nonfactor if any of the crucial factors (compatibility, generosity, intellect, etc) are unfulfilled.

I met my wife a decade before triathlon, and I wouldn't change a thing about her. She doesn't care one bit about my tris, other than knowing it's really important to me, even with my crazy busy schedule.

You do have to compromise. My compromise for training 10-15hrs per week is that I do it even before the family is awake. No, it's far from ideal, and it might even be a deal-breaker for you given your 12PM rides, but you'll have to find some compromise that works. The good part is that there are many solutions for triathlon even if it's not ideal - indoor training especially, that allow much more flexibility in the schedule and planning.
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 19, 14 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tim thoru wrote:
haaa, she always said, why i cant go training with her(running/cycling). when i said our level is different she get mad to me. haha. she can run but not enough for me to cover my training :) honestly I'm not good as pro cyclist, but i try and love to challenge my body limit. its give me ultra satisfaction

If she's into running and cycling then there must be some way you can train together at least some of the time. E.g. do your recovery runs with her, or go out on a mountain bike while she's on a road bike. Or train on the treadmill next to each other. Could be a worthwhile investment if she ends up getting into tri herself
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike, keep training and keep my girlfriend? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tandem bike can be a pretty good solution if there's a good place to ride it. Each person can work exactly as hard as they want.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to find a balance in your time management and priorities. If your girl is a CLINGER, then she needs to get her own hobby and can't have you 24/7. If cycling is important to you than you need to tell her that. My wife knows my Sunday mornings are for long bike rides because we negotiated it beforehand. My training does not impact quality family time. Communication and compromise are key in a relationship.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike, keep training and keep my girlfriend? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to ditch her before the Saturday Worlds. She's obviously stealing your essence. You are only to be seen with Podium girls going forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(a) If you got hurt and couldn't do triathlons anymore, would you want to be with her?
(b) Is this the only thing that bothers you about her from otherwise being completely happy with her (I mean, you said you love her so much)?

If the answer to either (a) or (b) is "Yes" then
take a look at some of the threads about how people with families budget their training time, that may help a lot
else
break up
end if
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read this thread earlier and was going to comment but decided not to. I read the title again and realized that the Title alone tells you what to do- In our minds we place emphasis and priority on things that we want to give emphasis and priority no matter what your first language of choice is. You wrote ride bike, train, keep GF. it is clear that your bike and training are more important, which I completely understand as when I was in college/younger this was my mindset too and was a proper mindset to have at the time. Keep it that way if that is what makes you happy because you shouldn't have to be miserable trying to keep this broad happy. She should be happy fitting into a life with you, not you fitting your life around her.

(ignore the above and just read the below)
Unless she is absolutely the one you have to marry, go ride your bike, then run, then figure out if she's still there. There's a song that I think is instrumental in your decision making process. HERE if link doesn't work then try reading the lyrics HERE
Quote Reply
Re: How do i ride my bike, keep training and keep my girlfriend? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
having a triathlete as a girlfriend can be just as bad. my ex gf was really obsessive with her training during the week, and would get ultra stressed around it and fitting it in etc. then on the weekends, my training had to revolve around her training. she used to get stroppy if we were cycling and she had to "draft" off me for a short period of time, as since you didn't do it in a race you shouldn't do it in training (funnily enough she got busted for drafting in a race)...made the whole point of riding with her pretty pointless, plus going at her pace wasn't much of a workout. hah. plus she would get all emotional and sometimes cry when we were riding and i was easily going up a hill and she was struggling. was really frustrating training with her. and doing a race with her was the worst. haha everything revolved around her when it came to a race.

Yeah, I don't understand sharing hobbies. Tangent, sure. But sharing? NO. My hobbies are for ME time, NOT we time!
Quote Reply

Prev Next