Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Portland Triathlon Now a Duathlon
Quote | Reply
For those of you racing the Sprint or Olympic this Sunday, you've probably heard that due to an algae bloom in the Williamette River, this Tri is now a Du. Note from Athlete Path:

SPECIAL NOTE - Willamette River. Safety is our main concern. The City and State Willamette River managers were unable to give us definitive safe to swim information. Because the information is incomplete, we have decided to lean on the side of safety for all our Athletes.

I commend everyone involved to scratch the swim. Too much of a risk to go swimming in water this is still questionable. So, if any of you are doing the Olympic, maybe I'll see you in one of the run (swim) waves.
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Triathlon Now a Duathlon [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am bummed. Do you know how hard it is to find duathlons with more than 20 people? Now that there magically is one with 400+ registered, registration is now closed!
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Triathlon Now a Duathlon [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email the RD, ask for a last minute entry.

You miss every shot you never take.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes it is a bummer that the swim got canceled but the only way to go. toxic algae can cause dizziness and breathing / heart problems.

safety of the participants comes first.
people complaining and wanting refunds should put themselves in the shoes of the race director.

i had to do a duathlon last year even though my achilles was injured and i was about to take some time off running. i had put a lot of time into my swim and was seriously disappointed when the swim got canceled less than 2 days before the race.
it was sure a different experience but great nevertheless.
as triathletes we adapt to different challenges.
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Triathlon Now a Duathlon [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super idea! Done and done!

There is a cool trail race in November that fills up within an hour. I got the wild idea to ask and now my wife and I are in, no charge, in exchange with volunteering the day before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how did you do? What did you think of the run waves?

I knew many guys in my age group were going to go out fast during the first run. I just bided my time, knowing there were some brutal hills during the six mile run. Man, those hills were more brutal that I imagined. Fortunately, there was a sweet downhill on our way to the finish line. But it did psych me out when I got to the bottom of the hill, turned right and saw the finish area. I thought we were done. But nope, we still had to run about a half mile away from the finish through that grassy area before looping back to transition and the finish. I thought that finish line was never going to come.

Great event overall. Staff were VERY well organized. Very cool t-shirt. It's got a vintage look to it that doesn't scream "endurance athlete." Looking forward to going back next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not race. $140 for an olympic Du is too much. I offered to help out at packet pick up for a discount, but they were fully staffed. Add in that it would not have been a qualifier for Du Nats, bummer. Oh well. I got in 12 miles in Forest Park for free!

It sounds like you had a great race! Looking at the results, some guys went out like rockets! 4:40 for the first run? WOW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I did not race. $140 for an olympic Du is too much. I offered to help out at packet pick up for a discount, but they were fully staffed. Add in that it would not have been a qualifier for Du Nats, bummer. Oh well. I got in 12 miles in Forest Park for free!

It sounds like you had a great race! Looking at the results, some guys went out like rockets! 4:40 for the first run? WOW!

Qualifier for Du Nationals? What does that mean? I was not aware that any race other than AG Standard nationals you had to qual to get in, all others I thought you just signed up?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Triathlon Now a Duathlon [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh really? I just got into dus this season and assumed it was the same as tris. I'll look into it a bit further.
Quote Reply