Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HITS price hike. hmm.
Quote | Reply
price for HITS HIM distance, 6 months out, 2012: $75
price for HITS HIM distance, 6 months out, 2014: $200

I am technically a fan of Mark and his model, but has the production value of the race gone up in commensurate fashion with the 167% price hike? just sayin'.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: HITS price hike. hmm. [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$75 was not a sustainable business plan. It was a way to gain entry to the market.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: HITS price hike. hmm. [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
$75 was not a sustainable business plan. It was a way to gain entry to the market.

How is that working for them?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: HITS price hike. hmm. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better then zero entries and out of business so to some degree it worked.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are now pretty much inline with other (non-WTC) HIMs.

Probably found that the lower price point wasn't a significant incentive.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: HITS price hike. hmm. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
They are now pretty much inline with other (non-WTC) HIMs.

Price-wise, yes; production value, not yet.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HITS Full Distance - earliest price = $200
IM Full Distance - earliest price = approx $675-$700 (i have not checked every race price)

You can argue the pros and cons of race production (yes IM branded races win hands down for the event experience) but for the purpose of refining your race plan you could do three (3) HITS events for the cost of one (1) IM branded race. How much is that extra experience worth on your development - and the associated costs (accommodation etc.) are generally less because you are not competing with thousands of other entrants in a generally small geographical area. These are different products and each have there place and if you don't think something is worth the money - don't buy it. I'm not bashing on any particular brand - I intend to race/participate in IM Texas, after having sorted out my kinks in these non-WTC events. Anyone who has ever bashed WTC on this forum (I believe that happens occasionally) should support the non-WTC brands if you want other choices for Full Course/Ironman/140.6 events.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS price hike. hmm. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The HITS half i'm looking at signing up for had like 450 finishers last year and that probably means well over 500 signed up. I'd consider that pretty successful relative to many other halfs.

Just because they aren't on the WTC level doesn't mean they haven't gained a decent little share.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: HITS price hike. hmm. [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HITS never ever stated they'd be keeping that ridiculously low price point. In fact, I sort of remember them suggesting it wouldn't be the case, but it was for getting the company off the ground, which it looks like they've done.

I did HITS Napa, and while I felt it was an excellently run race, I'm not sure I'd do it again for $150 early signup, mainly because I was so lonely on the HIM course, as compared to something like Vineman where it was like social hour the whole way. Made for no drafting no problem, and some folks much prefer the low person volume, but to each their own.

I sincerely hope HITS takes off in the future though - always a plus to have more rather than less race options, and it was a well run race, albeit low on the extras (but an unbeatable value at $75, and easily legit for the reasonable $150.)
Quote Reply