Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extreme soreness - what is your strategy?
Quote | Reply
Last saturday I did a really hard mountain run up and down about 1500' over 5 miles. I was incredibly sore for 72 hrs later, having trouble taking the first few steps after any kind of sitting. I am (still feeling it today) 5 days later.

I am curious how others push through extreme soreness - I was essentially incapacitated by it....
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme soreness - what is your strategy? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally (and this may be rebutted as good ideas) when I am really sore after a bike ride I take some Motrin, make sure I exercise as least moderately (talking about jogging lightly 10 X100 repeats), and take an Epsom salt bath and then immediately following the bath (while still damp) lay on my back with my legs elevated at a 90 degree angle for at least six minutes before standing up and walking around for at least six minutes. Motrin is an anti-inflammatory and the other two (I guess technically three) things are about moving lactic acid out of muscles and/or increasing circulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but I'd say if you're still really sore/incapacitated after 5 days, you probably pushed too hard. That said, I treat soreness with trigger point foam rolling and ice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compression gear, lots if stretching, and easy spins on the bike to keep things moving.

Look up DOMS

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCAA's during and after. Magnesium before you go to bed.

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the next time keep in mind that the soreness is probably from going down not up. You will get used to it if you do it more often but just going a bit easier on the downhills may be a proactive solution.

As for post-workout just make sure to refuel and relax a bit but don't stay completely stationary. Go for a walk or something. And sleep lots!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually get really sore when i dont take in enough protein after my workout or the day of hard workouts. I will usually take in 2 protein shakes of isolate.

When im sore tho ill usually swim very light to loosen up my muscles, light bike ride no more then 100w for an hour, stretch, foam roll and sometimes even an epsom salt bath.

Try preventative to, get some good/great nutrition in after a hard workout, i have noticed a big difference since increasing my protein intake.
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme soreness - what is your strategy? [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:
I usually get really sore when i dont take in enough protein after my workout or the day of hard workouts. I will usually take in 2 protein shakes of isolate.

When im sore tho ill usually swim very light to loosen up my muscles, light bike ride no more then 100w for an hour, stretch, foam roll and sometimes even an epsom salt bath.

Try preventative to, get some good/great nutrition in after a hard workout, i have noticed a big difference since increasing my protein intake.

Protein intake (how soon after and how much) definitely has an affect on how sore I am the day after a hard workout. You need to continue eating enough protein the day(s) following too, the need for it doesn't just end a few hours after the workout, at least not for me. If I wake up sore the following morning and eat a Greek yogurt I can feel the soreness ease (only temporarily if I don't continue eating enough/more protein). Topping off your carbs won't help muscle soreness.

CJ
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme soreness - what is your strategy? [cjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My usual shake of protein, creatine and l-glutamine. Heat, compression, foam rolling and active recovery.

Your body desperately needs to flush toxins and move nutrients to the damaged muscles, why would you slow that process down with ice? Also, vitamin I has negative effects on recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme soreness - what is your strategy? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
swim :-)

This really works for me. Drag yourself to the pool, you will probably feel a lot better afterward. The only exception for me was a hip/ low back issue. Swimming was fine but I dreaded the end of the lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing fancy: make sure I'm well fed (and not necessarily from the aforementioned gerbil food) and rest.

You cooked yourself quite well, primarily from running down those hills. NSAIDs and most other recovery "aids" have been purported to dampen adaptation (inflammation signals are probably pretty important here!), so use them only when you've truly done damage.

Biking is probably the most gentle thing you can do, given it's all concentric contractions and non-load bearing. Oftentimes after doing something ridiculous as what you've done (and I have...), biking is less painful than walking.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earlier this summer I did the "Manitou Incline" (google it).
2000 vertical in less than 1 mile.
Also requires a steep descent with same loss of elevation in 2.5 miles.
I am not a runner- I only cycle.
I was sore for about a week. Pretty sure it was the descent that ruined me.
Going forward my strategy would be to avoid things that produce this level of soreness.
Last edited by: bootsie_cat: Sep 18, 14 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me a lot after hard workouts or good races.

My "cure"
  • HTFU
  • Advil during the day if needed, and definitely two before bed
  • Compression gear (socks mostly) to sleep in
  • Lots of water
  • Easy stationary biking to "flush the lactic acid through the legs" in a hair of the dog kinda way
  • Try to make sure you get up and walk around a lot if you're at a desk job
  • Maybe go for a massage (I always mean to, never do)
  • icebath
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Sep 18, 14 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STFU.....that means...when you have 'extreme soreness' then Smart The Fuck Up and let your body heal. walk around and get the blood flowing but don't battle through 'extreme soreness'. Your body will tell you when you're ready.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For soreness after running, I get on the bike and easy spin. For me, it speeds all of the healing up. The hardest part is mentally reminding myself this actually works because it sure as hell seems counter-intuitive when my "walk" resembles frankenstein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • muscle milk lite before and after hard workouts has helped me noticeably
  • easy walking on a 9-15% incline, maybe 3mph, will take the muscles through a similar firing pattern to running and possibly help regeneration in the days following DOMS
  • mostly you wait it out and prepare better in the future

• increase your 5-8ish rep maximal strength for the calves, quads and glutes
    • do something to strengthen your feet

Quote Reply
Re: Extreme soreness - what is your strategy? [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So many people popping Advil..

not good! You want to recover from your race, not mask the pain.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/ibuprofen-and-running/ as an example article (but there are many others)
Quote Reply