Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torhans Aerobento users: some Q's for you
Quote | Reply
I'm considering getting the Torhans Aerobento and securing onto my frame with double side tape or velcro (no frame bosses). Ideally I'd want to put 2 x packets of Powerbar cola shots in there - looking at the dimensions (19cm x 4cm x 3cm) it certainly seems like that would fit. Some questions I have:

- have any of you used secured it without using bosses (i.e. double sided tape or velcro)? I'm sure that would work, can you confirm?
- I can't really see what the base is made of. Could I make a cutout in the front of the base? I want to do that so that I can slide it over my di2 junction box and "house" some of the cables in the front of the bento. So basically the front 1/3 will have sides but the base cut out, and the back 2/3 will be secured with tape to the frame and be used to store my cola shots.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Torhans Aerobento users: some Q's for you [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not buy the Torhans aero bento. Looks cool but basically useless for storing nutrition or anything you want access while riding because you can't get anything out of it. It was hard fishing out used gel wrappers when I was off the bike at home!

I even cut the slit wider and still had trouble accessing anything more than one gel at the top. Forget about something at the bottom. Got rid of it for a Dark Speed Works. I think Glen Alden might gave something for sorting junction boxes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Base is plastic, easy to cut a slot.
I don't have any great issue getting stuff out of it but the opening is tight enough that I suspect you would pull the box off the frame if trying to pull something out (if not bolted on). It really needs to be bolted down to have a good base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the new Bontragger aero bento. I used outdoor Velcro on the Felt DA, works great. I use it for gels and chews.
Quote Reply
Re: Torhans Aerobento users: some Q's for you [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great - thanks for the feedback - saved me some $ !

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just modified one for my CD01 - I wanted it for both gel storage and to cover the cables entering the tt. It's attached by velcro on the bottom, and I used black electrical tape to smooth the bottom edge of the bento and the top tube. It looks (mostly) seamless and integrated with the frame, and is rock solid. If I wanted to bring a gun to a knife fight, I would probably drill holes in the sides at the middle and near the front of the bento, and loop a zip tie around the frame and steertube, but as it is, the current bento config isn't going anywhere.

I haven' experienced the difficulties others have in retrieving gels from the storage: I found it is no better and no worse than an XLab (which is basically the Dark Speed Works) and a Nathan that I have. The Torhans does, however, look a lot sleeker.

If someone wanted to mod the opening - maybe they have Frankstein hands or whatever - they could just cut one or two slits perpendicular to the long opening in the silicone top like the new Scott storage. One pair of scissors, two snips, fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy crap, OP - I just looked at your bike on your blog. Definitely go with the torhans mod: that Dimond is just too sleek to do anything less.
Quote Reply
Re: Torhans Aerobento users: some Q's for you [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
holy crap, OP - I just looked at your bike on your blog. Definitely go with the torhans mod: that Dimond is just too sleek to do anything less.

Cool thanks I'll give it a shot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll disagree with the "hard to use" others...

I used mine for IM CdA. FOP biker w/ a P5, so like you it had to *look* good as well as work. I fit three powerbars in there and a little baggie of salt tabs and tums in the pointy tail end. Yes, it's not as easy as a DSW bento (the ONLY other option for serious cyclists IMO) but it worked. For my last 70.3 I had a few Bonk Breaker Bars which are fairly square and fit in there very nicely. Great thing about powerbars is that when you warm them up they're moldable, even while still in the wrapper.

Rethink your nutrition strategy to accommodate this awesome bento. Who wants to eat gels for 1, 2.5, or 5hrs anyway.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love mine. I have used both the 3M Extreme double sided tape as well as their 3M Permanent super plastic velcro.

In the end, I modified the Aerobento on the bottom so that it goes over where the brake and shifter wire enter the top of the Plasma frame.

See here... I also hid the Di2 junction in the new SigmaXF stem. So just the rear brake and 1 Di2 wire enter a hole in the front of the Aerobento.

The only other thing is to put a few star shaped cuts in the top and it works fantastically.

I can snap a few more pics if need be.

-Alex

Last edited by: bostonalex: Sep 19, 14 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Torhans Aerobento users: some Q's for you [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
Do not buy the Torhans aero bento. Looks cool but basically useless for storing nutrition or anything you want access while riding because you can't get anything out of it. It was hard fishing out used gel wrappers when I was off the bike at home!

I even cut the slit wider and still had trouble accessing anything more than one gel at the top. Forget about something at the bottom. Got rid of it for a Dark Speed Works. I think Glen Alden might gave something for sorting junction boxes.

+1 for the Torhans being unusable. It looks really sleek, and I like that on my P5. But, actually using it was a very bad experience. The most I ever put in there was a small Ziploc bag of some Hammer Endurlytes, which is ridiculously small. When I put gels in there, they were very hard to remove through the rubber closure. Basically, I just quit using it.

+1 for the DSW being the awesome solution. DSW looks great and it's very user-friendly. Plus, even if the Torhans was usable, the DSW is just the right size. I can fit nutrition (e.g., 3 Clif bars) for training rides, and clincher tire change kit for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Velcro stuff works but with time the glue side is kinda melting a little and leaves sticky surfaces but not a big deal. I use the long profile design and taped the Velcro underneath to be more safe, I'm kinda paranoid I guess.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Torhans Aerobento users: some Q's for you [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here it is all set up. It hides the junction box nicely, and I actually find that getting my stuff out is easy (dried cherries, gummy worms, powerbar cola shots)

I used 3M "velcro" stuff to attach it

Quote Reply