Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How quick to lose heat acclimation
Quote | Reply
Do you loose heat acclimation if the remainder of my training over the next three weeks is in cooler weather. This week it's still mid 80's at my lunchtime runs but next two weeks will probably be cooler given we are moving into Fall. I feel good now when its mid 80's to 90 during my runs. I'll try the usual tricks if it cools off, adding another layer, etc. Just curious on your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: How quick to lose heat acclimation [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect you'd lose it about as fast as you gain it...or about 10 days in either direction. But I have no data to support that.

The best is being heat acclimated, then doing a race in 55-75F weather.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Do you loose heat acclimation if the remainder of my training over the next three weeks is in cooler weather. This week it's still mid 80's at my lunchtime runs but next two weeks will probably be cooler given we are moving into Fall. I feel good now when its mid 80's to 90 during my runs. I'll try the usual tricks if it cools off, adding another layer, etc. Just curious on your thoughts.

My understanding if the research is that you can lose it in as short as 3-4 days. On the flip side, it can take as LNG as 5-6 weeks to regain it.

I just lived through that ironically: Panama City Beach, Nationals in Milwaukee and family vacation in WI totaling 2 weeks, return to PCB.

Quote | Reply
From Lore of Running.

Once established, heat acclimatization can be fully retained for about a week after returning to a cooler climate. Thereafter, it is lost at rates that vary from person to person, but usually within 28 days.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: How quick to lose heat acclimation [kylekranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok , so research has narrowed it to somewhere between 3 and 28 days. Very helpful ( in pink).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Phoenix and routinely train when temperatures are in the 90's and 100's in the summer mornings. I've noticed that when I go to a cooler climate like Michigan over the summertime, I'll pee a lot when I get there. I believe it's my extra plasma volume that is not needed in the cooler weather. Sure enough, I'll get back to Phoenix and notice I'm down a few pounds of body weight. I'll quickly gain it back once I resume training in the hot weather again.
Quote Reply