Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap readings drop out
Quote | Reply
Amigos, My wife has a pre G3 Powertap pro she is using with a Garmin 500. On long ride-ironman distance, the power and cadence will show zero, or very low. Last time it happened about 4 hours into Ironman Boulder. Both will just be gone for 15 minutes or so, then come back. Usually happens after a few hours of riding.
I've replaced batteries, new ones right before the race. I don't see any breaks on the battery holder, connections and pins look ok. Any thoughts here? I haven't contacted PT yet. thought I'd ask here first.
Thanks, Kurt
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap readings drop out [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems I hear about garmins doing this a lot. Were the batteries in the garmin fresh?
Could the garmin be mounted closer to the powertap?

For what it is worth I've never had this happen with the Joule head unit.

kjanracing wrote:
Amigos, My wife has a pre G3 Powertap pro she is using with a Garmin 500. On long ride-ironman distance, the power and cadence will show zero, or very low. Last time it happened about 4 hours into Ironman Boulder. Both will just be gone for 15 minutes or so, then come back. Usually happens after a few hours of riding.
I've replaced batteries, new ones right before the race. I don't see any breaks on the battery holder, connections and pins look ok. Any thoughts here? I haven't contacted PT yet. thought I'd ask here first.
Thanks, Kurt

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done a check for a firmware update on the G3?

I believe the latest update was released in March 2014.
I had some odd issues similar to what you have mentioned (not near as bad though) that it seemed to have fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap readings drop out [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is PRE G3. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangit - my old eyes and weak reading glasses fail me again ........ only saw the G3. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this happen to me with my 510 on both my Pro+ and G3 Powertaps, but never for minutes at a time. Usually only for 10-20sec, and only if the memory gets really full. After deleting all rides it's normally fine. I also noted it's only on my 510 head unit--I've tested with my 510, 910, 310, and a Joule all at once (felt like DC Rainmaker) and only the 510 showed the drops. I'm going to try to have it replaced after IMWI. Oh, and I use an external S/C sensor, and the 510 never lost the cadence data.

Riding the Awesome Train With: Dark Horse Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap readings drop out [ChromeMobius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If its not the batteries, then you probably need the hub serviced. The pre-G3 are known for having a failing torque sensor. It will cost $300+ to service, but they will upgrade the internals to G3.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap readings drop out [ChromeMobius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had this happen a few times recently on my 510. I have 4 powertaps (all G3) and it has happened with at least 2 of them so I don't think it's a Powertap issue. I haven't deleted the history in a while so I might try that.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap readings drop out [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can the torque sensor and internals be tested by the PT people? This sounds most plausible. She did run the LYC, a Joule after that, then the garmin. I'll ask if the Joule did that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It happened with my Powertap SL+. I sent it back to Saris and they said they had to service the hub: upgrade the internals to G3, change bearings,...Good as new. My only complaint is that the new CR2032 battery doesn't last as long, maybe only a few months, so when when you get the low battery indicator it is time to change.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap readings drop out [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
I've had this happen a few times recently on my 510. I have 4 powertaps (all G3) and it has happened with at least 2 of them so I don't think it's a Powertap issue.

I used to experience this same problem until I updated the firmware in my G3's. The problem hasn't resurfaced ever since, and I'm also using the 510 with the latest firmware.
Quote Reply