Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aquabike at Challenge AC & Events
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had done the Aquabike at Challenge Atlantic City? I was thinking about doing that race next year. The course is a bit flat but I've always wanted to check out one of their events.

How does the Aquabike finish? Do they let Aquabike athletes come through the finish line or is it sort of an uneventful finish in bike transition? How about family? Good event to take a family with young kids that obviously wont be gambling?

Keith Burtis
Buffalo Triathlon Club Board Member 2013/2014
<a href="http://duyoutri.net">Du You Tri - Podcast</a>
<a href="http://rodsracing.org/keith">RODS Athlete - Racing for Children with Down Syndrome</a>
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike at Challenge AC & Events [keithburtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search the threads at the end of June for a bunch of comments and write-ups. Very mixed reviews on the event in general, the logistics and the course. Some loved; some not so much.

The finish was by transition, *not* near the finish line, on the bike - you did not have to dismount and rack the bike then run. Very un-spectator-friendly for the Aquabike racers - bike course goes way out and 2 mini-loops, then back, like the Wisco course.

Again, search the threads - a lot of good feedback and comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike at Challenge AC & Events [TallTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Aqua bike this year. I have a 20 month old but we left her with my parents for the weekend so Im not sure about the kid activities though AC being an "entertainment" detsination Im sure there was some decent stuff on the boardwalk.
The swim was kind of a mess given the number of turns and the current but doable, Im almost positive they will change it for next year given the feedback they received.
The bike was dead flat, very bad wind coming back to transition i would say the last 20-25 miles.You ride through a little town with decent spectator support and there supposuedly busses that take people there through out the day.

I was getting hot toward the end of the bike and would imagine the run was steamy. I read a few reviews saying the run was a little sloppy with people on the board walk cutting through the route etc.

My wife came with me and there was supposed to be buses every 20 minutes or so leaving our hotel (harrahs) but she said she waitied for over an hour and wasnt able to find the shuttles and the hotel employees had no info for her. So she ended up ordering room service and waiting for to come back..ha

It was the first year, im sure it will much better organized next year. If i do a full next year it will be this one just because its so close and a decent course.
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike at Challenge AC & Events [keithburtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was the "wrangler" so to speak at the Challenge Atlantic City Aquabike finish line split. I directed racers down the right chute. The finish itself was uneventful, the only spectators were the few volunteers amd my two kids sitting in a tent off to the side.

It is actually a moot point for you though. I have it on good authority they are dropping the AV for 2015. They are keeping the relay. You could find a marathoner, then cross the finish line on the boardwalk with him/her. They do that for relays.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike at Challenge AC & Events [RunFatboyRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
It is actually a moot point for you though. I have it on good authority they are dropping the AV for 2015. They are keeping the relay. You could find a marathoner, then cross the finish line on the boardwalk with him/her. They do that for relays.

While registration is open for the AV, having spoken to Stephen recently, I did get that impression that the future of the AV was questionable as well. Which is a shame, as an AV is a perfect training race for those of us nearby who are doing IM-brand races later in the season, as well as for newer athletes and those with injury concerns. And I do keep hearing rumors of a half next year as well. It's a shame as I'd love to come back and do the AV this time, as I'm not interested in a relay or doing another half in June, and two iron-distances races in the season is probably too much for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike at Challenge AC & Events [oceanswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oceanswimmer wrote:
RunFatboyRun wrote:

While registration is open for the AV, having spoken to Stephen recently, I did get that impression that the future of the AV was questionable as well. Which is a shame, as an AV is a perfect training race for those of us nearby who are doing IM-brand races later in the season, as well as for newer athletes and those with injury concerns. And I do keep hearing rumors of a half next year as well. It's a shame as I'd love to come back and do the AV this time, as I'm not interested in a relay or doing another half in June, and two iron-distances races in the season is probably too much for me.[/quote

Do you know why they are considering dropping AV? It is usually very little extra work and possibly more revenue. I signed up for a relay but would have preferred to do AV but when it first opened last year that wasn't an option. We dropped out do to some medical issues for our runner. I'm no longer able to run so AV are on my radar.
Quote Reply