Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhh boy, make sure to get yourself a fast car and drive it as fast as you can into the military base, then steal yourself a harrier jet. Endless fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video games don't "make" anyone do anything and don't influence the real world behavior of any sane or rational person.

I'm willing to bet that isn't true. Everything has an influence. Spending a lot of time engaged in fantasy violent behavior as a kid must have a significant influence. And then there is the tweak factor.

The question is, what is the influence? Obviously it doesn't turn you into a raging psycho, but it's hard to say what it actually does. It's nearly impossible to do a meaningful study on things like this.

Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The details would be interesting, but I wouldn't necessarily expect the effect to be higher aggression.
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [elwoodblues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elwoodblues wrote:
Are you shittin' me? C'mon dude, smarten up. ST is a magnet for ridiculous and inane posts as we all know, but this one takes the cake.
I always find responses like this most interesting. I don't know how you may have interpreted what I have written, and yes maybe the bit about points should have been in pink, but may I question you? How in fact is it that you think GTA does not promote (
support or actively encourage (a cause, venture, etc.); further the progress of.) the culture (the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.) of motorists (yes I will concede the point here, but I assume that some gamers are also motorists) Show me your smarts that prove that people are more likely to perform an action they have never known existed, over something they have seen done previously. The human race is simply not that creative, for example, many will often revert to questioning the personal traits of an author because they are unable to put forward any greater argument.
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Video games don't "make" anyone do anything and don't influence the real world behavior of any sane or rational person.

I'm willing to bet that isn't true. Everything has an influence. Spending a lot of time engaged in fantasy violent behavior as a kid must have a significant influence. And then there is the tweak factor.

The question is, what is the influence? Obviously it doesn't turn you into a raging psycho, but it's hard to say what it actually does. It's nearly impossible to do a meaningful study on things like this.

Well, my parent's generation aren't all batshit crazy murderers who think they're superheroes/villians from the gratuitous violence in comic books, so I don't think that GTA is going to do much.
Quote Reply
Re: Is GTA partly to blame for motorists hitting bikes? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a similar vein, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12600403

"....and less adaptive/constructive forms of expressing anger while driving, ..." it is in this moment that I suggest that one is more likely to revert to an existing neural pathway.
Quote Reply

Prev Next