Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How hard is the WesternPort wall in Savageman? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Hv1v9gE_w&feature=youtu.be
Guess the green aero helmet did not help much at 1:00!
Do you get 2:00 penalty for drafting on Westernport Wall!! I can see the refs now with their white and black striped shirts and whistle flagging down bikers and saying "Ah yeah. "Just come right over here in the penalty area 1/2 up the hill and rethink that egregious drafting err and then you can be on your way."
Last edited by: osteomark: Aug 27, 14 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is the WesternPort wall in Savageman? [osteomark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drafting at savageman... not an issue! haha
You could maybe save yourself a minute or 2 if you happened to come across someone a lot faster than you at the right times I guess.

osteomark wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqPJ7WmPfi4
Guess the green aero helmet did not help much at 1:00!
Do you get 2:00 penalty for drafting on Westernport Wall!! I can see the refs now with their white and black striped shirts and whistle flagging down bikers and saying "Ah yeah. "Just come right over here in the penalty area 1/2 up the hill and rethink that egregious drafting err and then you can be on your way."

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't tell USAT officials how to enforce the rules, but in the 7 year history of SavageMan each and every year the USAT officials have been understanding and shown good discretion. The bigger culprit than drafting is probably blocking as there is plenty of paperboying up hills that goes on at SavageMan.
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is the WesternPort wall in Savageman? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Do they mow the road before the race?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is the WesternPort wall in Savageman? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Weed" is probably the more accurate verb. Yes, they weed the road before the race, and every time they do, they pull up chunks of concrete stuck to the roots making the road that much worse...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading this thread makes me wish I was racing Savageman this year! Awesome beautiful race!

Great advice by everyone so far. As someone else mentioned over 2/3 of riders do make it up now so with proper gearing and spacing, and a bit of luck, there's a good chance you will succeed.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the descent to get to Westernport can be pretty cold. If the morning is cold you might want to dress warmly for the bike (arm warmers at a minimum?) so you don't freeze/lose a lot of energy before you even hit Westernport. The beginning of the descent isn't too bad but close to Westernport it gets pretty cold (right around where there is a sign saying there is Ice Cream at the finish; hope the signs are still out this year!). I found the block before the actual wall to be super steep and last year as I was riding that I thought, "there is no way I will make it up the wall! I am barely making it up this!" And indeed, I barely made it up. I probably should have put a compact on but didn't get around to doing it so suffered on the Wall. I had a standard front crank and a 27 tooth cassette. If I was doing it this year I would probably have both a compact crank and a 32 tooth cassette! On the Wall I started off strong on the right but somehow ended up sitting and grinding it out across on the left side of the Wall...

Here's my race report from 2012. I need to update the blog with my race report from 2013; I had a much tougher year last year. I think 2012 I had beginner's luck. https://amomandanathlete.wordpress.com/...an-post-race-report/

Good luck! Don't forget there's a nice little hill at 43 miles into the bike in addition to the other more popular climbs like Killer Miller.
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is the WesternPort wall in Savageman? [slbva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slbva wrote:
Good luck! Don't forget there's a nice little hill at 43 miles into the bike in addition to the other more popular climbs like Killer Miller.

Maynardier Ridge. Short, but just oh so cruelly steep. The site of many a broken soul, especially of those who thought Killer Miller was the end of the line for hard hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the course the past two weekends trying to acclimate myself to hills again. I started riding out here in Western PA and did a lot of training in the area and DCL before moving to Chicago last year. Now that I'm back I'm trying to hit hills as much as I can to get ready for the Savageman 100. That being said I'm 1 for 2 on cresting the wall. Details: 2014 Trek SC 7.5, stock wheels, 23c tires, 53/39 and 11-25 gearing. The first time I thought it was cake, I saved myself on the climb up to the wall and took a good line once I reached it. The second time I turned up the street right before it to give another rider some space before I attempted it and went TOO hard up the actual wall. Hit a bump and my tire lost traction, was game over at that point. I've got an 11-28 I'm hoping will give me a little bit of slack.

I also think that the Wall and following continuation of Big Savage climb to be worse than Killer Miller. That WPW/BS climb seems to drag on and on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this works if you aren't his friend but a guy from our Tri club here in PGH filled the climb last weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=2&theater
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's me in the green jacket on the right at 3:51 in the video!

Now for advice: the wall is "tough" in that it is really steep with a crappy surface, but its totally doable. Pace yourself in the 4 blocks before the wall, as they are steep too (when you turn the corner onto the road it just looks like a tombstone straight up). I had a 34-30 as my lowest gear, as I'm a spinner. I stayed seated all the way up to the first part of the wall and then got forced to the left side (the crappy side) by a swerving rider. I just stood and powered up it. I advise the right side, though, as the left side was really torn up.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is the WesternPort wall in Savageman? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
39/25. Ouch.

ps - when I discovered Westernport and Big Savage, I rode 42/23. Back in the days before compacts and the newly introduced 39 tooth rings were considered climbing rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes me want to cry.

I rode it with Jim Wrubel last weekend and man was it frustrating seeing him sit and spin with his 50/34 and 11-28, haha. Hoping I can channel some wisdom from him and Rotelli on this 100 non-sense that I let them talk me into.
Last edited by: kyle h: Aug 28, 14 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: How hard is the WesternPort wall in Savageman? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my brick in the wall in 2012 and had the race of my life taking a podium spot in the 30-34AG. The race is amazing. It has a festival like atmosphere and deserves more press and accolades than it gets nationally. The run is quite challenging as well!

------------------------------------

Dr. MJP
3rd Dental Bt
Okinawa, Japan

"Embrace the Suck"
Quote Reply

Prev Next