Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Half IM suggestions for spring 2015?
Quote | Reply
Hi I am going to move up from Oly to my first half this spring. I live near Philly. Looking for something within a 4 hour drive, .M or not .M.
Considering Bassman -too cold I hear? Considering Eagleman- too hot I hear? What is a good first tri for May- June? Thx!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: First Half IM suggestions for spring 2015? [Runningvixen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Bassman this year. The water temp was cold, and the overall race organization wasn't great. You could try Black Bear. I liked that race better, but it's a harder course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did bassman this year as well....i agree the race organization was pretty terrible. self serve aid stations lack of volunteers....the water wasnt that bad. cold on the initial dive in but you warm up pretty quickly. I would do this race as a first of the year type of race because of the price...but for your first 70.3 no way....

you could try quassy....i did that one last year. challenging course but a lot of fun and well run by rev3.
Quote Reply
Re: First Half IM suggestions for spring 2015? [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hills at Quassy Rev3 are reasonable for first half? Thought some were CAT5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do Eagleman. I'll be there!
Quote Reply
Re: First Half IM suggestions for spring 2015? [ekrub10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard this year was the coolest in a long time at Eagleman and it was 85?! Some years closer to 100? I'd be in wave 16... So out on the course later...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a few big hills. One that sticks out in my head is around 25-28mi...I think. The run was tough as well. Leading up to quassy last year the weather was cool and didn't have much humidity. Then BAM! 90°+ with high humidity for race weekend. If it was cooler I think it would have been more enjoyable. You run on some trails and some shaded areas. I would consider it again,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningvixen wrote:
I heard this year was the coolest in a long time at Eagleman and it was 85?! Some years closer to 100? I'd be in wave 16... So out on the course later...

Eagleman is the worst. The swim is like swimming in a hot tub. The tide went out so for the entire second half I would catch mud on each pull. There was so much mud that my shoes and bike were caked in it as I was heading out of transition and flinging it everywhere as I started the bike segment. The mud also made the bike to run transition unpleasant. The run is a 100 degree high-humidity out-and-back death march with no shade.

Not really many spectators either. I'm used to races with huge crowds cheering you on, but the run was pretty miserable and only a few dedicated groups out cheering. Though it was fun because some people were in their front yards spraying runners with hoses.

I love racing, but Eagleman was the least fun HIM I've ever done and the slowest aside my very first one years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: First Half IM suggestions for spring 2015? [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monticelloman near Charlottesville, VA might be an option on the edge of your four hour radius. I did the oly this year and planning to do the half (2 loops of the bike and run) next year. Its the first weekend in May so temps are usually nice and the water in the lake was clear and around 68 degrees which felt great. Bike course was nice and slightly downhill for the second half of the loop. The run course has a few hills but nothing hard.

The area is beautiful and a short drive from some of the best breweries and wineries in VA if that's your thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside of your 4 hour radius but Raleigh 70.3 is a great race. May 31st, 2015. Next year will be the 3rd so all the bugs will be worked out (Not that there were any. I've done the first 2 and have signed up for 2015 as well).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.sunmultisportevents.com/Patriot_Half.htm

5:15 from Phili. Supposed to be a really nice, flat HIM-distance race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely suggest Quassy. Tough course but Rev3 is just as good if not better than WTC.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: First Half IM suggestions for spring 2015? [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat in the baltimore area. I was considering Kinetic in VA in May, but not sure if it might be hillier than I want.
Quote Reply
Re: First Half IM suggestions for spring 2015? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I've asked around and I'm hearing great things about Raleigh. It's a 6-7 hour drive or a 1 hour flight. I'm thinking about flying and shipping out the bike. Anyone shopped a bike to a race before?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bike Transport is an awesome service!!! I've used them once when I had to fly to a race and I will use them in that situation any time their service is available!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinetic is a great race. Run course is three tough loops but it's a great venue and has plenty of racers so you're not alone on the course. Plus when I did it 2012 the cost was like $165.

http://www.setupevents.com/...ail&eventID=2553
Quote Reply