Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/07/tour-de-france-ironman-data-comparison.aspx#ixzz38yTuYsFg

Honestly, it made me really appreciate how phenomenal those guys in the TDF are. Doped or not, that's still a lot of work, a lot of pain, and a phenomenal mental effort (not taking anything away from Luke either).
Quote Reply
Re: Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call it a "good read". It was mildly intersting and I like that they started out with many reasons why the comparison doesn't mean anything. Another issue that wasn't mentioned is that cyclists train to ride every day. Pro triathletes have to split their training. I think the pro triathlete holds his own fairly well considering the imbalance of training focus.
Quote Reply
Re: Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Swimming and running take a lot of good biking time away. There is also the fact that if a triathlete really is a true uber biker, they sometimes get sucked into the sport of cycling.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like Roger's FTP is 427 to Luke's 365. Rogers is a crazy 5.9 w/kg FTP. Is it possible to be that strong and clean?

For comparison Luke is about exactly 5w/kg. So they are comparing where there is no comparison! LOL. That's like comparing a "pretty good" AGer in triathlon to Luke.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't so long ago that the ST zeitgeist felt that a TDF rider could NEVER hang with even an average triathlete in a 112 mi TT

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
Agree. Swimming and running take a lot of good biking time away. There is also the fact that if a triathlete really is a true uber biker, they sometimes get sucked into the sport of cycling.

Like him!

Quote Reply
Re: Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
I wouldn't call it a "good read". It was mildly interesting

I would mostly agree with this. The conclusion was that they are too different to compare. I kind of knew that before I even read that article.
Quote Reply
Re: Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it can't be ignored what the impact of running 50-60mpw has on the quality of your bike training and what tossing another 5-6 hours of swimming on top of that does to you overall energy levels to put in solid rides. If you can't ride hard, a lot, your FTP isn't going to climb over 400.

It doesn't take a PhD in physiology to understand that riding 14-16 hours per week vs. maybe 25-30 hours per week, your going to have less bike fitness.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Good read on Kona vs TDF cycling efforts over on Ironman.com [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of tour riders have lower power output in TT position than on the roadie by 10 to (even 30 or 40 watts) from what we have seen lately. Obviously a FTP of 410 would still be much higher than pretty much all Tri guys. It is pretty crazy to see the difference between mid -high level TdF pros and high level triathletes many times it's > 20%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was like reading an article that compared apples to vacuum cleaners.

Quote | Reply
Your definition of "good read" must be distorted? This article accomplished absolutely nothing. Its like comparing a 10K road bike to a 15K crotch rocket.

I bet you think "Go Dog Go" is a "Good Read" too?