Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [fs16scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks fs16scott, this is great feedback. I see you were running an 11X28 cassette and a 53x39 chainring on a 170mm crank. I was glad to have the 11x28, but on a 50/34 with 172.5mm. Your numbers have me wondering whether a 52/36 (or 53/39) might be better for this course.

Your cadence at 80 is actually higher than mine at 70, but I assume coasting brought my numbers down. I generally average >80.

Were you able to spin most of the grade?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In order to get the same gearing as your 11x28 with a compact crank fs16scott would have to jump to a 11x32 with a standard crank. The 28 and 32 are almost identical speed at a given cadence on those respective cranks. I just purchased SRAM WiFli so did the gearing analysis prior.

TOP END @ 90RPM: 50X11 = 52.9 53X11 = 56.1

BOTTOM @ 90RPM: 34X28 = 14.1 39X32 = 14.2

I used an 11x32 with standard for IMC this year and it was really sweet. Same as a 28 compact for the hills but a nice fat gear for the downhills. The jump between gears is slightly higher for those that insist on pedalling with 1 or 2 RPM of their usual cadence but I am happy spinning 85-95 so always find something in that range.

For rollers it's really nice as I can usually just sit in the big chainring and have a lot more cassette to play with.

My cadence was 86 avg. for a hilly course that is reasonably high for me. I trained on a standard with 27 on the cassette and kept getting bogged down with really low cadence on the hills, which is why I switched things up.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting! Looks like I need to study gear ratios.

You are the strongest cyclist of our little sample size of 180lb riders (based on an IF of .70 at NP of 223). What chainring did you run with the 11x32 cassette? Any by standard crank, do you mean 175mm? Your VI of 1.03 proves your point that it worked well!

Assuming you ran a 53/39 like fs16scott, I can see you guys would have a lot more power for the descents.

Scott

Jaymz
W: 180 lbs
Gearing: 11x32, 53/39, 175mm
NP: 223
AP: 216
VI: 1.03
IF: 0.70
Cadence: 86 rpm
Bike Time: 5:21

fs16scott
W: 179 lbs
Gearing: 11X28, 53x39, 170mm
NP 225
AP 207
VI 1.087
IF .81
Cadence: 80 rpm
Bike Time: 5:24

GreatScott
Gearing: 11x28, 50/34, 172.5mm
NP: 198
AP: 180
VI: 1.1
IF: 0.72
Cadence: 73 rpm
Bike Time: 5:59
Last edited by: GreatScott: Aug 5, 14 17:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, by Standard Crank I meant 53/39. I have a 175mm crank (SRAM Force) but want to drop to 165 as I get hip pinch. I edited my post.

I did seem to be pedalling longer than others on descents. In fact I was blowing past people on descents but weight might also have played a factor as well as continued power.

When I looked at last years post regarding power I noticed a trend in times for weight / NP being lower for those who had a lower VI. Makes sense. Sorry to those I kept leapfrogging on the downhills after you passed me on the uphills, but I was the one being consistent! :)

I didn't back off on the Pemberton Flats either, tried to stick around 225 - 230 the whole way.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice data for same course / conditions. Not a huge variation in rider weight, but enough to illustrate W/kg vs. bike time.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Nice data for same course / conditions. Not a huge variation in rider weight, but enough to illustrate W/kg vs. bike time.

In an ideal world you want to be at the bottom left of this graph, but that's not reality....the reality is you need to be at the top left to be at the left. This stupid graph has me thinking about doing Tahoe!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
In an ideal world you want to be at the bottom left of this graph, but that's not reality....the reality is you need to be at the top left to be at the left. This stupid graph has me thinking about doing Tahoe!!!

Based on our limited sample, though, it doesn't look like you're too far off the ideal lower-left. It is clear that good aero is worth 10's of minutes, not just minutes in an ironman.

My disappointment (and surprise) was that bestbikesplit had me at 5:15 or so on 200 W AP, and their prediction was very close for Wisconsin, Florida and Raleigh 70.3. But, I came up short at 5:26. Did the wind shift at all during the day? I should probably go back and re-run the simulation with my actual power profile....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Based on our limited sample, though, it doesn't look like you're too far off the ideal lower-left. It is clear that good aero is worth 10's of minutes, not just minutes in an ironman.

My disappointment (and surprise) was that bestbikesplit had me at 5:15 or so on 200 W AP, and their prediction was very close for Wisconsin, Florida and Raleigh 70.3. But, I came up short at 5:26. Did the wind shift at all during the day? I should probably go back and re-run the simulation with my actual power profile....

Yes, wind shifted. We had a weird headwind going down to Pemberton, which rarely happens from what I gather. Then on the way back the wind flipped and it was mild headwind back up the climb to Whistler. Normally the wind flows consistently from Squamish to Pemberton. We had an interesting day with the race start at 8-10C and then the temp rising to 36C (according to my Quarq which likely over reports as it is picking up radiating heat from the pavement....that's not what my body feels, but it is what the strain gauges in the Quarq feel). Earlier riders like ourselves got lucky though. if you recall on the run, heading back from the Green lake was a solid headwind heading towards Whistler. People riding 1-3 hours slower than us, really got hammered coming back to town.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
deh20 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Yes, wind shifted. We had a weird headwind going down to Pemberton, which rarely happens from what I gather. Then on the way back the wind flipped and it was mild headwind back up the climb to Whistler. Normally the wind flows consistently from Squamish to Pemberton. We had an interesting day with the race start at 8-10C and then the temp rising to 36C (according to my Quarq which likely over reports as it is picking up radiating heat from the pavement....that's not what my body feels, but it is what the strain gauges in the Quarq feel). Earlier riders like ourselves got lucky though. if you recall on the run, heading back from the Green lake was a solid headwind heading towards Whistler. People riding 1-3 hours slower than us, really got hammered coming back to town.

What? It paid to have a good swim? That never happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
People riding 1-3 hours slower than us, really got hammered coming back to town.
Yeah, I felt sorry for those still on the course as the wind picked up.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
deh20 wrote:

This also loses the fact that there could be other contributing factors to time (flats, other mechanical issues). I know I had 10 minutes on my time dealing with a flat and my speedbox opening twice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cadence dropped on the steeper parts to 60's but overall I kept it fairly high. I looked at my data again and I actually held an Ave RPM of 86. I agree with Jaymz the 11x32 would have been a better choice. It would have kept my VI closer to that desired 1.00-1.05 range. My cadence has really improved (increasing) since I went to a 170 crank( I'm 6ft tall). I was to hesitant to go all the way down to a 165 like Jaymz wants to do. But that is a good idea. Seems like he and I had a similar plan...Consistent power up, and KEEP it up downhill, while waving sorry for the leapfrog game ;). I did feel like a jerk having that happen but it ended by the time I was heading down to Pem.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [fs16scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was re-reading your post and had the exact same experience at IMMT this year:

Guys-gals kept passing me while climbing, if I was around anyone. This mostly happened from Alata Lake to Callahan. Then, I flew by on the downhill and kept power up. No coasting, for the most part. I would push the power to get my speed up for every downhill.

It was almost comical especially when I was sitting and trained on the PM to keep the Watts low on the hills and these guys were standing up and hammering the hills. EVERY TIME!!! I actually was able to master the aero downhill with one arm tucked behind my back to gain 1-mph.

I was just wondering if you had a race report for Whistler. I will be doing it next year and am hoping to break 10-hours. What is your open Half and/or full Marathon time? Was it a mass swim start or in waves?

I would say that I am a stronger biker than runner so I will be starting a run focus this fall while also trying to increase my FTP from 265W at 75Kgs. I did IMMT in 5:18 at 210NP/199AP with 2300m?? elevation gain. I felt great on the run but might of pushed it a bit at the start and between miles 13-19 and cracked with 4km to go as my legs were trashed and finished in 3:55 instead of 3:30 where I wanted to be.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
micaza75 wrote:
I was re-reading your post and had the exact same experience at IMMT this year:

Guys-gals kept passing me while climbing, if I was around anyone. This mostly happened from Alata Lake to Callahan. Then, I flew by on the downhill and kept power up. No coasting, for the most part. I would push the power to get my speed up for every downhill.

It was almost comical especially when I was sitting and trained on the PM to keep the Watts low on the hills and these guys were standing up and hammering the hills. EVERY TIME!!! I actually was able to master the aero downhill with one arm tucked behind my back to gain 1-mph.

I was just wondering if you had a race report for Whistler. I will be doing it next year and am hoping to break 10-hours. What is your open Half and/or full Marathon time? Was it a mass swim start or in waves?

I would say that I am a stronger biker than runner so I will be starting a run focus this fall while also trying to increase my FTP from 265W at 75Kgs. I did IMMT in 5:18 at 210NP/199AP with 2300m?? elevation gain. I felt great on the run but might of pushed it a bit at the start and between miles 13-19 and cracked with 4km to go as my legs were trashed and finished in 3:55 instead of 3:30 where I wanted to be.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Are you sure about your FTP? 265 seems quite low to finish IMMT with 210 NP. What was your TSS? You might want to re-test to see if it's not higher than 265. For reference, I had very similar power numbers for Whistler, but my FTP is ~292 (based on 95% of 20 minute average from a 10 mi TT.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ya my FTP test was a bit half assed the week after I got my PM in July. TSS was like 328 for IMMT but I don't really know how to gauge that. I never really did and interval training on the bike at all this year so I have to figure that out for next year.

Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [Ave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info. Can anyone tell me where the run turn around on the lake was in 2014 as compared to 2013. In 2013 it was at the end of the trail. With the new course did it turn around at the same place or St the lookout?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Interesting! Looks like I need to study gear ratios.

You are the strongest cyclist of our little sample size of 180lb riders (based on an IF of .70 at NP of 223). What chainring did you run with the 11x32 cassette? Any by standard crank, do you mean 175mm? Your VI of 1.03 proves your point that it worked well!

Assuming you ran a 53/39 like fs16scott, I can see you guys would have a lot more power for the descents.

Scott

Jaymz
Gearing: 11x32, 53/39, 175mm
NP: 223
AP: 216
VI: 1.03
IF: 0.70
Cadence: 86 rpm
Bike Time: 5:21

fs16scott
W: 179 lbs
Gearing: 11X28, 53x39, 170mm
NP 225
AP 207
VI 1.087
IF .81
Cadence: 80 rpm
Bike Time: 5:24

GreatScott
Gearing: 11x28, 50/34, 172.5mm
NP: 198
AP: 180
VI: 1.1
IF: 0.72
Cadence: 73 rpm
Bike Time: 5:59

I think all the discussion about powering and having sufficient gearing on downhills is totally misplaced, certainly on a course with steep downhills like Whistler. NO ONE passed me on the downhills and I am sub 140 lb rider who almost never pedaled on downhills. I just got into my tuck with my face between the aero pads hands on the aero pads, elbows tucked in to my side and my butt on the top tube and passed everyone in my path while going at zero watts including many big guys pushing watts for no reason If the big guys refined their tucks, they would go infinitely faster than me with their weight. Same deal at IM Tremblant, same deal at IMLP, same deal at IM France. The only "tougher course" where the downhills are somewhat shallow where pedaling is faster than a proper aero tuck is Kona.

Basically you want to use a variant of the Obree egg position. You can do this from your saddle too rather than the top tube. I have no idea how Obree ever pedaled from that position, but for coasting at 65-80 kph it is dead stable and fast. If you are a bit worried, you can keep your hands on the brakes on your base bar, but it's slightly wider, but certainly saves a lot of kilojoules over the day.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [Ave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add mine, better late than never.

Weighted average power: 257
Avg Pwr: 240

Cadence: 85 rpm
Weight: ~160 lbs (without bike)
Bike Time: 4:51
Run Time: 2:40

Bike: 2014 Argon 18 E-118
Wheels: Shimano Dura-Ace C75 front and rear Tubular
Power Meter: Pioneer

Helmet: Bell Javelin
Setup: Bottle between aero bars; one behind the seat bottle

Kit: Champion Systems CS Elite Tri Suit

Strava file: http://www.strava.com/activities/191954090

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:

Well we finally got our data point on the tpp left of the graph. Congrats Jeff....now we just need Marino's files! Edit: deh will need to change the x axes as there is no room for anyone with a time under 300 minutes!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 14, 14 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:

Well, your result is certainly a little off our scales! Great bike, Jeff, and even better run.

Last edited by: deh20: Sep 15, 14 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Symonds wrote:

Well, your result is certainly a little off our scales! Great bike, Jeff, and even better run.

I love the updated graph showing the delta between prozone genetics and mere mortals. Would love to see a "top left" cluster with Marino, Trevor Wurtele and Matt Russell thrown in. Surely Matt can share his data so that Jeff's data point does not have an entirely lonely existence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul,
If I had some data, I'd share it. I don't race or train with a power meter or HR. Only by feel.

I weigh right around 168. And I think my cadence is usually around 84ish.

2013 results:
Bike: 4:42
Run: 3:00

2014 results: (A bad race for me)
Bike: 4:52
Run: 3:09

Bike: 2014 Trek Speed Concept
Wheels: Shimano Dura-Ace C75 (tubular challenge tires) and a disc in back.
Helmet: Rudy Project Wing57 with visor
Kit: Castilli San Remo
Hydration setup: regular water bottle mount on aerobars and Torhans VR bottle mounted on seat tube.

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Last edited by: MattRussellTri: Sep 19, 14 10:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next