Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
I'll clutch my pearls and fall to my fainting couch if he serves anywhere close to 1 year. I doubt he'll serve a day. Probation and community service is in his future and perhaps a suspended license (hope hope). In my view it's attempted murder and he really should serve decent time, especially given his past behavior. But I don't see it happening.

Yeah, in the betting pool I'm taking probation and community service, maybe 30 days suspended license but he can still drive to work.
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re work: People like him shouldn't be allowed to continue to hold public office if they have shown an inability to empathize with the public they are supposed to represent, it's basically proving you're unqualified for the job.
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the good mayor is probably facing 2 years probation, and likely the loss of his position as mayor:

"Although the story initially made national news and at that time, some of the people angry with Furrer accused him of attempted murder, Murdick's attorney and fellow cyclist Michelle Funkenbusch said the charges issued were exactly what she was hoping for.
The charges "hit the nail on the head in terms of what occurred here" and are themselves a victory, regardless of what direction the case takes, Funkenbusch said.

"To me, what happens after this is up to the judge, is up to the attorneys who represent him, and whether he gets jail time will depend on whether he has any priors," she said. "But it sends the message that they're not going to tolerate this kind of assault."

Furrer does not have any prior criminal convictions, Magee told the Call.

"But then he's got to be good for two years," Funkenbusch noted."

http://www.callnewspapers.com/...-felony-charges.html
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a pretty messed up town board:

http://www.callnewspapers.com/...set-Hills-board.html

from the article...

“When I told everyone that the chief of police was asked to resign, I started getting emails from Mark Furrer saying, ‘I’m going to release that tape. You better watch out, the dash cam is coming out,’” Baebler said at the Oct. 14 board meeting.

A citizen in the audience asked, “Do you have those emails?”

“I sure do. They’ve been discussed with an attorney,” she said. “And when (the mayor) was noticed that an attorney was involved, he stopped. This is the truth ...”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like they should all meet at the Double Deuce Roadhouse and work things out.
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/...-two-felony-charges/
It turns out the badboy mayor will stand trial next year for his road rage.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update!

Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take it as a compliment.....
And confirmation that their life is lacking in so many ways...
They aren't even on the front of the bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any further updates on this
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it has a jury trial date of this December.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/...face-felony-charges/

I have a feeling this fell off the radar due to some 'civil unrest' in neighboring communities.
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the prosecution messed this up pretty badly. Initial trial ruled a mistrial and there won't be a retrial. All charges dropped in both the criminal and civil case. Apparently the case fell apart due to embellishment of the damage to his bike and himself by the cyclist. Pretty dumb to embellish those details when you have independent witnesses supporting the main complaint, which was that the driver intentionally swerved into the cyclist.

http://www.stltoday.com/...50-a7d8714ff042.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand why the victim (who is now clearly an idiot) has lost some credibility, but if the state had two other witnesses testifying to the same thing, I guess I am confused as to why they dropped the charges.

Civil case, sure....dismiss that. But since the victim's "embellishments" were not related to the alleged criminal activity, it seems like the case could have gone forward.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuff like this is why jury trials are always a crap shoot. You can have a rock solid case, then one jackass gets up on the stand and totally ruins the jury, or one jackass on the jury does the same.

I agree it is possible with the two other witnesses that it was still possible for the mayor to be convicted. But all the jury is going to remember is that the 'victim' is a damn liar and doesn't deserve to win. Stupid.
Quote Reply

Prev Next