Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crossfit [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

>Crossfit does not start out with a goal at all.

Sure it starts with a goal. The goal is to increase fitness, with the definition of fitness provided by Crossfit, e.g. a broad mix of strength, stamina, etc. Also I think there's an unstated goal to "look good."
Crossfit training is also highly structured and systematic.

>It starts out with a bunch of pointless activities.

Pointless to whom? That's an arbitrary judgment. Running for the sake of running faster is no more "meaningful" than doing pull-ups for the sake of doing more pull-ups.

(I'm not a Crossfitter, so have no real dog in this fight, I just find the vocal criticism to be odd. From my perception it's a little cultish, but also a healthy, time-efficient way to stay physically fit.)

Being "fit" as defined by crossfit?
That is circular or self referential.
I think a goal must have some external measure.

Running is a component of football, soccer, etc.
But it was also the very first sport. The first means of rapid transportation. It is a "thing" in and of itself.

Pull ups are good training for gymnastics and rock climbing.
But an end in themselves?

If so then, why not look at each of the components of pull ups?
To train for pull ups we will practice grabbing a bar, moving biceps etc.
Are those "sports."
How about thinking about doing pull-ups?
Could that be a valid "sport?"

Thinking is part of doing pull ups, and pull ups are good training for rock climbing, which is useful in mountaineering, which could take you to Everest.
So, thinking about doing a pull up is the same as climbing Everest?

No- there has to be a limit on how derivative an activity can be and still be considered a "thing " in its own right. I
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
stop2think wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:

Triathlon training, however, is a systematic process for achieving this "ridiculous" and "arbitrary" goal.

For everyone? you are 100% positive that this is the case for everyone?

Quote:

Crossfit does not start out with a goal at all.

For everyone? you are 100% positive that this is the case for everyone?

I've met people personally who started crossfit with goals and I have met people who started triathlon with no goals.

Why is such a significant faction of this board so myopic? I can just see this very same thread on a crossfit board, with the crossfit and triathlon interchanged in Dirtymango's statement, and getting the exact same response. The sports have way more commonalities than they do differences; competitors in conventional sports are laughing at you both for treating exercise as a sport and having no real purpose/goals...and they would be ignorant as well.

My post is the exact opposite of being myopic... Possibly if you yourself were not so shortsighted you could see I was in no way defending either one.

You should work on the reading comprehension. I was responding in total agreement with you.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
trail wrote:

>Crossfit does not start out with a goal at all.

Sure it starts with a goal. The goal is to increase fitness, with the definition of fitness provided by Crossfit, e.g. a broad mix of strength, stamina, etc. Also I think there's an unstated goal to "look good."
Crossfit training is also highly structured and systematic.

>It starts out with a bunch of pointless activities.

Pointless to whom? That's an arbitrary judgment. Running for the sake of running faster is no more "meaningful" than doing pull-ups for the sake of doing more pull-ups.

(I'm not a Crossfitter, so have no real dog in this fight, I just find the vocal criticism to be odd. From my perception it's a little cultish, but also a healthy, time-efficient way to stay physically fit.)

Being "fit" as defined by crossfit?
That is circular or self referential.
I think a goal must have some external measure.

Running is a component of football, soccer, etc.
But it was also the very first sport. The first means of rapid transportation. It is a "thing" in and of itself.

Pull ups are good training for gymnastics and rock climbing.
But an end in themselves?

If so then, why not look at each of the components of pull ups?
To train for pull ups we will practice grabbing a bar, moving biceps etc.
Are those "sports."
How about thinking about doing pull-ups?
Could that be a valid "sport?"

Thinking is part of doing pull ups, and pull ups are good training for rock climbing, which is useful in mountaineering, which could take you to Everest.
So, thinking about doing a pull up is the same as climbing Everest?

No- there has to be a limit on how derivative an activity can be and still be considered a "thing " in its own right. I

So. Running in its form in triathlon is almost completely pointless for most conventional sports. Wasn't it Meb who ran a 14sec 100m on some athlete's sports challenge? At any distance relevant to other sports, virtually any NFL lineman would destroy a world class distance runner. Your argument is completely circular; crossfit and triathlon are one and the same in this regard.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:

You should work on the reading comprehension. I was responding in total agreement with you.

Genuinely apologize, I wasn't picking it up at first but my brain is fried from some crap at work today, former customer of ours decided to play some games with trademarks and been dealing with that. Not an excuse my brain is just set to find negative right now I guess, sorry about that and I'll be leaving the internet for the night before I do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:
HomerJSimpson wrote:
I highly doubt yours as well. Keep going in circles if you like but again Olympic lifting is not a singular way of improving strength and power like you are arguing. I could just as easily put together a plyometric program which would be better for long jump or vertical improvement.

Peace

I'm sure you are familiar with the maxim; I am going to stop arguing with the idiot....and then go tell my football players that we are going to run a 5k today.

Yea you can't argue with ignorance. The funny part about his last comment is, plyometrics is as big a part of crossfit as Olympic lifts. The fact many of the skill athletes now do crossfit type of workouts because of the combination of strength,power and conditioning the different workouts provide shows he is not very current on stuff. There are also hundreds of WODs that you never touch a weight so his absolute ignorance is very telling. But from his revelation schools and teams can get rid of their state of the art gyms and save a butt load of money.
Quote Reply

Prev Next