Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much did I slack on this swim? Also, predictions?
Quote | Reply
Had a main set of 15x100 scy on :15 rest. I've made good gains in the pool this year and haven't quite adjusted to feeling the efforts. Most recent short interval sets have been done in a weird 33.3scy pool in a group session, so I was guessing at my race pace. Did an all out 100 scy in 1:09 A month ago.

Did my first 12 between 1:24 and 1:26, leaving on the 1:40. Hit 1:22 on 13 and 14, went all out and did 1:15 on the last one.

How much did I dog it? I picked a time I thought I could sustain. Should I have aimed for 1:22, 1:20? The 1:15 at the end blew me out.

Also, any predictions for my swim at AG Sprints Nats? Volume has averaged 7-8k a week, peak of 10. Only swam 27 for the Olympic at Chicago ITU, but not my best day (and maybe long?). 12 seems doable if it is really 750.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: How much did I slack on this swim? Also, predictions? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Had a main set of 15x100 scy on :15 rest. I've made good gains in the pool this year and haven't quite adjusted to feeling the efforts. Most recent short interval sets have been done in a weird 33.3scy pool in a group session, so I was guessing at my race pace. Did an all out 100 scy in 1:09 A month ago. Did my first 12 between 1:24 and 1:26, leaving on the 1:40. Hit 1:22 on 13 and 14, went all out and did 1:15 on the last one. How much did I dog it? I picked a time I thought I could sustain. Should I have aimed for 1:22, 1:20? The 1:15 at the end blew me out. Also, any predictions for my swim at AG Sprints Nats? Volume has averaged 7-8k a week, peak of 10. Only swam 27 for the Olympic at Chicago ITU, but not my best day (and maybe long?). 12 seems doable if it is really 750.

I think the answer to your question depends on how tired you were; given only 8K per week, not too much from swimming but obv perhaps more from your B and R. In any case, with an all-out 100 scy of 1:09, I would think you could do hold 1:14s leaving on the 1:30 on your very best days, and then proportionately slower the more tired you are. You might need to up your swim volume though to get to this point. If you could get to 1:14s on 1:30, then you could prob go 21-ish for the 1650 scy in the pool. Regarding your estimate for the 750m, ya, I think 12-ish is do-able for you on a good day.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: How much did I slack on this swim? Also, predictions? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is nothing wrong with that set, in fact i believe it better than just a grind set where you do the same time on a short rest. You need to blow one out every once in awhile, and by that i mean every workout. You should do both kinds of sets, long grinders on short rest, and long rest blow out sets. But if you only do one set, then this combo that you did would be ideal.

As to what you are going to do at nationals, no way to know. We don't know how long the course is going to be, we don't know what the conditions are going to be, and we don't know how you are going to feel on race morning. We don't even know what AG you are in, so cannot predict what group you might be in. If you are 60+ then you will be in the lead group, if you are 25 to 50, then some group down the pack, depends on your actual age..
Quote Reply
Re: How much did I slack on this swim? Also, predictions? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honored to get some replies from serious fish!

The harbor at Nats seems pretty protected. It was calm last year, but even with wind I can't imagine it kicking up too much. Good point on the distance.

I'm 36, adult onset as far as any competitive swimming, 6'4", 172, opposite of Phelps' proportions for swimming (short arms, long legs) and a Pisces. Neutral on long moonlit walks on the beach.

My time will actually be 11:00 because I'm hiding a motor in the harbor, attaching it to my chest at the swim start and dumping it before the ramp. I'll aim for 4th or 5th out of the water so as not to attract attention.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Honored to get some replies from serious fish!

The harbor at Nats seems pretty protected. It was calm last year, but even with wind I can't imagine it kicking up too much. Good point on the distance.

I'm 36, adult onset as far as any competitive swimming, 6'4", 172, opposite of Phelps' proportions for swimming (short arms, long legs) and a Pisces. Neutral on long moonlit walks on the beach.

My time will actually be 11:00 because I'm hiding fins in the harbor, attaching them to my feet at the swim start and dumping them before the ramp. I'll aim for 4th or 5th out of the water so as not to attract attention.

FIFY:)

Quote Reply
Re: How much did I slack on this swim? Also, predictions? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget The Real Starky: "I am Finman!"

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

Ya, if fins were allowed, everyone would indeed be using them and we'd have lots of threads about which fins are the fastest; the median iron swim times would be in 1:00 range, rather than 1:20-ish as I think they are generally now. At least triathlon manages to retain some degree of integrity by not allowing them:)

Quote Reply
Re: How much did I slack on this swim? Also, predictions? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

Ya, if fins were allowed, everyone would indeed be using them and we'd have lots of threads about which fins are the fastest; the median iron swim times would be in 1:00 range, rather than 1:20-ish as I think they are generally now. At least triathlon manages to retain some degree of integrity by not allowing them:)

nah, most people only know how to sprint with fins. I doubt the avg person would see more than a 2-3 minute improvement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chicago was definitely long. I swam about 2.5 minutes slower than usual and everyone in AG that I knew well were 2-2.5 mins slower.

PS I talked to a guy from the Lansing tri club while I was in Chicago..maybe was you? I was the University of Michigan guy. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How much did I slack on this swim? Also, predictions? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice - that was me! So glad to hear that on the times...24-25 is much more reflective of my expectation than 27. Unfortunately probably the only Olympic I'll do this year.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply