Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Boulder
Quote | Reply
For those doing the inaugural race this year Good Luck!

Any challenges so far? Travel issues? Hotel recommendations?

Has anyone ridden the course? Enjoyable?

Going to sign up for 2015.

Thanks for your feedback
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder [jasatucla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course out east is just ugly. If you look west & see the mountains as you ride that is one thing, but for the most part oil fields & dry, yellow farm land with some really poor sections of road at some intersections/bottoms of hills. The run will be on solid concrete. Unless you're using Hoka One your feet will be screaming. Not sure any other shoe will ward off that kind of pounding unless maybe the Adidas Extra Energy Boost shoes.

The swim will be warm, maybe non-wetsuit legal if the temps don't cool it down. Which is fine, as the KQ folks will/should be capable to swim it with/without if that is what you're after.

Check the course descriptions out & other threads on this page. I'd stay slightly away from Boulder for hotel as it will be priced high. Maybe Longmont for less of a cost or find a homestay/maybe Broomfield area/Westminster for housing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it will be fantastic! Sunday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not yet driven the course but I have heard mixed reviews. The course will not be easy but doesn't appear to be any harder than most (AZ, and FLA excluded). The run will be on concrete but with a lot of shade. Personally I'd trade soft running for shade any day.

As far as lodging goes, I got a room with a kitchen at the Boulder Mountain Lodge for $129/night- I didn't think that was bad at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. Running on concrete is plain stupid and I'm not looking forward to that recovery. I live locally and do virtually all my training on dirt roads and asphalt. Would have much preferred laps around the Boulder Reservoir as is the course at the 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the weather we are having today and the next 2 days I bet anything it will be wetsuit legal. I however do agree with you that the run seems brutal with all concrete and a triple out and back twice...

Rocky M wrote:
The course out east is just ugly. If you look west & see the mountains as you ride that is one thing, but for the most part oil fields & dry, yellow farm land with some really poor sections of road at some intersections/bottoms of hills. The run will be on solid concrete. Unless you're using Hoka One your feet will be screaming. Not sure any other shoe will ward off that kind of pounding unless maybe the Adidas Extra Energy Boost shoes.

The swim will be warm, maybe non-wetsuit legal if the temps don't cool it down. Which is fine, as the KQ folks will/should be capable to swim it with/without if that is what you're after.

Check the course descriptions out & other threads on this page. I'd stay slightly away from Boulder for hotel as it will be priced high. Maybe Longmont for less of a cost or find a homestay/maybe Broomfield area/Westminster for housing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the feedback. Just finished Placid and I'll be racing Boulder next year. Looking forward to reading your race reports.

Best of luck to everyone participating!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally see why they have T2/finish where it is, as the draw with Pearl St. Mall & all the shops/food, etc. would get a big boost as families are literally steps away from keeping themselves busy as their athletes finish up the bike ride, or are out on the 2-loop run. Plenty of time to do stuff. Folks can go to Chatauqua Park, hike, & get back for a drink or two at Pearl St before hitting the sushi bars or micro brews & still have plenty of time for shopping while the long 112 mile bike on country roads finishes. There may be time for a nap or two with the majority of activity around Boulder High.

That said, a much better course to keep the chaos out of the city's busiest areas would have the run on a similar Boulder Marathon course at the Rez on dirt roads. The problem with that though, is it doesn't bring the families to downtown during the race & there isn't much to do there. Boulder would be more receptive to having it again in future years if there is a big economical boost. The run on the furthest east dog leg takes you right past the windows of the offices of IM NA & Team Garmin-Sharp's office along Foothills Prkwy. It is nice & shaded but that concrete sure is going to hurt! Extra recovery time for sure after this race.

Weather is looking great for race day & looks to be wetsuit legal. The water testing early this week show bacteria levels acceptable I understand, even after the rains.
That's the latest!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M, sounds like you're there enjoying the festivities. Best of luck if you're racing. Hotels? Any recommendations? I hear Boulderama is close to finish, but kinda hokey. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out VRBO. We already have a placed locked down for next year. It is a 2 bedroom house for 10 nights 1.3 miles from the high school. Costing us less than my usual 4 nights in Madison hotel before MOO.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any idea how long the bus trip should take from the high school to the reservoir? Trying to gauge when we need to be at HS to see start of the swim but don't want to get in athletes way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i second the vrbo option!!!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best of luck racers. We'll (Altitude Mutlisport Club) be manning the last bike aid station.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what mile marker is that?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here is a picture today of Ironman Boulder 2014--largest T1 sea of bikes to date.
It's going to be HHHHHOT out there! The average bike out there is just silly--like Shiv's & P5's are nothing special with Di2...the pro/AG bike gap has shrunk!
Anyhow, good luck to everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
what mile marker is that?

102, right off the intersection of 75th and Jay rd.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply