Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
justarunner wrote:
Would love to hear some revised guesses, many of you all had it selling out yesterday, here we are at noon eastern and it's still wide open. 24 hours now.

Once, Chattanooga, Louisville, Arizona & Florida sell out in an instant, that will start a domino effect. I predict IMLP is open until mid to late November, then the people who got shut out of those 4 races will start to fill up the leftover races like CDA, LP & Texas.

I don't think no way it stays open til mid to late November. IMLP is still one of the premier destination IMs out there. The 4 that you listed above are not

I would say by August 9th IMLP will sell out .
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Jul 29, 14 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
justarunner wrote:
Would love to hear some revised guesses, many of you all had it selling out yesterday, here we are at noon eastern and it's still wide open. 24 hours now.

Once, Chattanooga, Louisville, Arizona & Florida sell out in an instant, that will start a domino effect. I predict IMLP is open until mid to late November, then the people who got shut out of those 4 races will start to fill up the leftover races like CDA, LP & Texas.

I don't think no way it stays open til mid to late November. IMLP is still one of the premier destination IMs out there. The 4 that you listed above are not

Is August 9th some random date that you picked or is there a significance to that date?

I'll admit, I could be way off in my prediction, but I'll give you my reasoning........The tendencies of athletes these days are predictable. They want an "easy" Ironman. IMAZ and IMFL have a reputation for being the "easiest" therefore, they sell out in an instant year in, year out. IMCHOO & IMLOU are now going to be perceived as "easy" mainly because of predicted down stream, wetsuit legal swims and cooler air temps (vs say, IMLOU in August) while on the bike and run.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
CAC?

Challenge Atlantic City.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with LP is the expense of lodging and transportation (flying to it). Florida is cheap cheap cheap for lodging. I don't know much about Chattanooga's lodging situation, but as a big city, there are likely tons of chain hotels near the race or even an easy drive. IMAZ and IMLOU is easy to find cheap lodging w/o crazy pre-pay policies and jacked up prices because of the number of major hotel chains in the downtown area or again, a super easy drive (parking is pretty easy race day).

I think IMLP will become less expensive (sort of like Kona is slowly, though an increase in slots might stop this) as places don't sell out a year in advance. It's good for the consumer and really has very little impact on WTC, but hurts the town a little. There are just more options for people w/o the hassle of trying to secure lodging immediately and paying a lot of money upfront.
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Don't the hotels in Placid have some sort of minimum night stay like they used to do in Penticton? No one likes being held hostage. I just did Whistler and can't say enough good things about the race, the town and the support. I would most likely do that again rather than go to LP. Of course, I'm in So Cal so Whistler is way more convenient for me. They only think Placid would have going for it is that I haven't done it already.
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Atlantic city
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they posted on facebook saying that there were 47 general entry slots left this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
justarunner wrote:

Is August 9th some random date that you picked or is there a significance to that date?

I'll admit, I could be way off in my prediction, but I'll give you my reasoning........The tendencies of athletes these days are predictable. They want an "easy" Ironman. IMAZ and IMFL have a reputation for being the "easiest" therefore, they sell out in an instant year in, year out. IMCHOO & IMLOU are now going to be perceived as "easy" mainly because of predicted down stream, wetsuit legal swims and cooler air temps (vs say, IMLOU in August) while on the bike and run.

I just used August 9th as it's just about 2 weeks. I don't see the "non sell-out" lasting much more than that.(but based on another more recent comment, less than 50 spots remain. So it might not last through the weekend)

Not to open up the easy/hard IM topic yet again, but I chalk the fast sell-out for FL and AZ due to the November dates as opposed to opinions of the course. A November date give a large chunk of the country the ability to train outside for the race. I believe that this was the primary reason why AZ switch from the early March/April years (I don't think they were fast sell-outs but very slow), to a November date.

I have done IMFL 2X for that exact reason.

If IMFL moved to a spring date, it would not sell-out for weeks/months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General entry is now officially sold out. Just like I said, October 1st.
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes good thing no one wanted to wager the under with me. Just a few years ago registration would be sold out before ever going online.
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
General entry is now officially sold out. Just like I said, October 1st.

I was wrong, too!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So perhaps tales of it's demise were a bit premature?

Yes, it took it a little longer (imo due to options). I never thought the weather or lack of pros would make a big difference.
Given its location, time and history it will continue to sell out. It just may take a week. Or less, like this year.
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
The problem with LP is the expense of lodging and transportation (flying to it). Florida is cheap cheap cheap for lodging. I don't know much about Chattanooga's lodging situation, but as a big city, there are likely tons of chain hotels near the race or even an easy drive. IMAZ and IMLOU is easy to find cheap lodging w/o crazy pre-pay policies and jacked up prices because of the number of major hotel chains in the downtown area or again, a super easy drive (parking is pretty easy race day).

I think IMLP will become less expensive (sort of like Kona is slowly, though an increase in slots might stop this) as places don't sell out a year in advance. It's good for the consumer and really has very little impact on WTC, but hurts the town a little. There are just more options for people w/o the hassle of trying to secure lodging immediately and paying a lot of money upfront.

The one thing that LP has that no other IM has (other than the new IM Maryland possibly) in the USA is its driving distance from the NYC, Boston metro areas and the largest US population bases in the Northeast.

So while, yes the logistics to fly there is not easy. It is very simple to hop on the Northway northbound and take Exit 30 and then drive the ~30 miles in on Rte 73 from NYC/Boston metro.

I have done IMFL twice, and spectated once there. While lodging is very cheap, getting there is not that all that cheap. VPS and CHA are not major airports but regional airports with limited service so you are connecting from somewhere else to fly into them so its a longer flight than it should be, and then add a rental car, I bet the total price for lodging, air, car is not that much difference than lodging in LP and then be able to walk everywhere you need to be.
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
So perhaps tales of it's demise were a bit premature?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General Entry is sold out!
Quote Reply
Re: When will Lake Placid sell out? [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
General Entry is sold out!

You don't say!?!?

Quote Reply