Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pm'd Dan 2 days ago saying same.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way aheada you guys. banned him when he made the statement, and uncovered a second user account from the same guy. banned that too.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan,

Sorry for venting in my PM.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
It started out as a twofold goal:
- qualify for Kona
- become a better athlete

The qualify for Kona part, had it been the only priority, would have been relatively easy to do at any Ironman, IMLP being the most obvious choice if all I wanted to do was qualify.

Mathematically, when I designed the new KPR points system - and this was confirmed by basically everyone else who ran similar scenarios, it seemed like it would take about 3500 points to qualify. Ironically, it ended up taking EXACTLY 3500.

So between IMTX and IMAZ, I had just over 2500. I had some "filler" - like 100 points or so from IMSG and Oceanside, but basically, all I *needed* to qualify was a 4th place at an Ironman. Outside of Kona, I have never placed lower than 4th in ANY Ironman except my very first one, where I was 5th. So, I was 99% sure that I could do one more Ironman and get enough points to make it into Kona.

However, I didn't actually think that was a good plan, because I didn't see it benefitting me in any way long term as an athlete.

As Medieval Times rightly points out, "it's not like he has a chance at top-5." I'd say that is an accurate current assessment. I think in 2012, when I was racing REALLY well, I had a legitimate chance at 6/7/8 in Kona if I had not raced Leadman 250 in Bend three weeks before. But I think I haven't raced to that level (the level I showed at IMTX & IMNYC 2012) since then. And 6/7/8 is not "top-5." Even at my best, I don't think I have yet shown top-5 form. Top-5 potential? Sure. But so what. What exactly is "potential"? Potential definitely won't feed my (now larger) family. And I beat the shit out of a lot of that potential anyway.

Mostly, I chalk this up to bad self-management. I raced five 8hr races in 10 months - IMTX '12, IMNYC '12, Leadman 250 Bend '12, Kona '12, & IM Melbourne '13. I was sick in Melbourne, and that combined with not totally shutting it down to recover post-Melbourne set me up for a pretty shitty season last year with the low point being a Kona DNF.

This year started out also pretty shitty at Oceanside, and that's when I decided to make a coaching change. The prep I did for Ironman Texas was good. Really good. Probably the best prep for an Ironman I've had since 2012. Unfortunately, as is sometimes the case, when you make a change, there's an adjustment period. I felt REALLY good leading into Texas, until about three days before the race, when I started to fade. Ultimately, it wasn't a total negative - the reason I was able to do the training I did for Texas was that I was finally healthy and in a good headspace. So I did too much because it felt easy. And, as with all things physical, there's a lag with fatigue. But I came out on the short end of the stick - a wetsuit swim in warm water didn't help, but that was probably more the difference between hanging onto 2nd vs fading to 4th than it was winning vs. not. I was tired during the race, and ended up fading. That 4:19 was an underperformance on the bike given the conditions. And a 3:02? Well, yeah... I was so tired that I didn't even register on the crowded Texas run that Justin Daerr passed me with about 1/2 a mile to go (ironically, that 300 point differential between 3rd and 4th would be the difference between an easy road to 3500 and what ended up being a much more challenging route). C'est la vie.

A win at Texas would have gotten me in. But when that didn't happen, I needed a plan B. I knew from the Texas build that my health was back after 2013 and that my ability to do the training needed to win a race was also back.

So what was missing? I figured it was racing skills. I raced very little in 2013. My swim made very little progress, despite strong improvements in the pool. I was pretty much the same athlete that I had been in terms of how I was able to do well and what I could do well at.

Those limiters are all a huge problem when it comes to being a guy who CAN go top-5 in Kona.

So I figured I'd try to get the points and ALSO improve as a "racer." I'd try to improve my swim. I'd be able to test in real scenarios things that offered a supposed advantage (like the Pearl sleeved trisuit, which tested really fast in the windtunnel, but which I cannot swim with pulled up in), to further refine nutrition (I had to pitstop again in Texas and I felt like I'd lost my handle a bit on really being dialed on IM nutrition), and to just get better at racing - transitions, tactics, etc, etc, etc.

Syracuse was not a great race; for reasons that I still don't understand, my hip locked up after my run Saturday morning and just would not cooperate on the run on race day. Been fine before and since.

Lubbock was a great race, though in fairness, if I was to design the PERFECT half-Ironman course for me, that's it. If I had realized then that the Pearl suit slowed me down in the water, I think I win that race. But that was my first sense of, "oh yeah, this is RACING. I can be good at it. And I like it. A lot."

Vineman was another subpar swim thanks to Pearl suit, but it was a great race from a pacing standpoint, so another improvement. Getting back to being really steady. That was my most evenly paced race. And I think a good reminder of both the positives and negatives of that.

In Racine, i didn't have a great day (bad pacing on the bike), but finally - for the first time in close to two years - I actually raced from start to finish. A good swim, a dumb bike but then followed by a tough (though not super fast) run. But it was a race. A real race. I crossed the finishline with nothing left. I just bent over and wanted to die. For the first time in a LONG time. 10th place was shitty, but whatever. I remembered how to race. I didn't have the fitness to back it up since I hadn't done a "real" week of training since some time in April, but that's easy to correct. THAT is easy to fix. The racing brain? Much harder.

So I decided to race again. I wanted to race again. So I headed to Calgary.

I had a best ever swim, coming out in the front pack, swimming on the feet of an Olympian and U-23 ITU World Champ (Will Clarke). I rode a tactical bike, not just a sit on the front and ride steady (though I did sit at the front for about the last 80km of the 90km); I raced the bike. And I managed to break everyone except Potts, again, without actually preparing on the bike the way I would for a big race. And then I ran really well - holding Brandon at the same margin - for 1/2 the run. In the second half? Well, I just ran out of steam. Five 70.3s in six weeks will do that to you, especially when the last block of real training you did was about five-six weeks before you even started knocking down these races. I thought I might have been able to outkick Brandon if we'd been about 1km closer to the line when he passed me, but the last surge I had - what I would have needed to kick off of - made me know there was no way I could hold it for 2km. But again, I raced it. Start to finish. I finally felt like a racer again.

The first couple of these races, it was like no big deal to recover, because in some ways, I was just going through the motions. Like doing "half-of-an-Ironman." Calgary and Racine? Those hurt. Those were tiring. Because those were full on races.

Does this mean I'm a top-5 guy? I wouldn't say that. What I will say is that IF I do ever cross the line in Kona in 5th or better, it will be precisely because of this and because i didn't choose just to go "do" an Ironman so I could get into Kona.

Right now, I'm not sure what the rest of the year will hold. Surprisingly (because I never intended to race this many 70.3s), I actually qualified for 70.3 WC, and I think I'll probably go, because it's a great chance to simulate a WC swim outside of Kona and to keep racing sharp.

I might do another 70.3 before the end of August - maybe Brazil, just because Brazil seems hella cool, but I'm not going to chase a Q slot. I think I've got a pretty good chance that SOMEONE will turn it down from this first cut, but I'm okay either way. If not, I can just keep racing - and keep improving - and that may even be the better plan long term anyway.

When I had my best season ever - 2012 - I went 4:00 to start the year at Wildflower. That's the 6th fastest time EVER on that course - a course that has seen basically every great 70.3 racer in the world race it at some point (Macca, M. Raelert, Potts, Llanos, Terenzo, etc). I don't think that's coincidence. Wildflower is - like Lubbock - the perfect course for me, but I still needed to have the tools to go fast on it. I think at some point, I lost those. I would say now, I feel like I have them back. Now just need to put some fitness behind them...

The TL;DR version is this: Paulo wrote a tweet a few weeks ago that said, roughly, "I love it when guys who are killing it at 70.3 decide to 'step up' to Ironman. Because I know they're gonna get slower." So this was basically the inverse of that.

Why am I doing a bunch of 70.3s? Because I wanna get faster. THAT is the reason.

Thanks for this very honest answer. When I got to speak with you in Texas you appeared to be very hard on yourself. I think the journey you embarked on will help in the long term. In a regular IM you can just outpace the other guys. In a 70.3 or Olympic tri you have to tactically surge and break the other guy. Kona materializes as a cross between out pacing and strategically breaking the bungee chord.

Maybe the best person to talk to about the path to becoming tactically a better racer is none other than your wife. She has background of being an ITU/Olympic athlete and knowing all your mental strengths and weaknesses more than any coach will ever learn. You have that resource right in your house.

I look forward to you being in our backyard for Tremblant 70.3 WC's...and don't forget that points from that race can help a decent amount for the next KPR run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I've missed the answer to this... why do you say the Pearl suit hurts your swim? with or without a wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:
I guess I've missed the answer to this... why do you say the Pearl suit hurts your swim? with or without a wetsuit?

I don't want to speak for Rappstar and I am sure he will chime in. But in general, I have paid specific attention to those wearing them, those who wore them and then went back to sleeveless. I spend a lot of time analyzing swims and swims gain as every non-swimmer biggest task is getting faster in the swim. What I have seen is those who have worn them, who are non-swimmers, have tended to have under-performing swims. I have seen this with Rapp's swim and then he has switched back to sleeveless and now has had some great swims. Given that he has been racing racing racing, and you just don't get the quality swims in and for us non-swimmers while doing that. Swimming consistently is paramount so that leads even more credence to his latest performances going back to sleeveless.

As an age-grouper, if you race your own race you may or may not notice the difference, but the pro swim start is absolutely critical. Us non-swimmers have very little margin of error as we are really swimming right on or above our limit. We are not swimming as if we were in our own race at our own pace. People are fighting hard for position and things will settle down, but what can be made up on the bike might be lost 2x-3x on the swim. I have said it before and I have said it again, there is a reason we haven't seen Kienle with a sleeved suit yet.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, but are we talking about using sleeved suits under a wetsuit restricting movement? what about non wetsuit swims? using it rolled down under a swim skin?

I'm thinking specifically about kona, mckenzie seemed to swim ok, same for crowie and a few others... or did I miss something?

if the problem is movement restriction, it could be used rolled down with a wetsuit also...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crowie is always an anomaly so never factor him into anything, sort of like Chrissie IMO. As for Luke, he knows he is going to be at the front of the front pack as he is a swimmer and will have some time to give back in T1. In Kona it is all about being in the front pack and getting out of transition with the front pack. As I mentioned in a previous thread a while back, take a look at Kevin Taddonio trying to do the same thing at Roth a few years open. The suit burst open and then he had a flapping jersey for the rest of the ride. I have had suits burst open that are NOT that restrictive and I learned from my first Ironman that it is incredibly tough to raise your arms above your head to put on a loose tri suit in transition, let alone a very specific piece that has to pulled up and fitted on the body perfectly and is very tight.

Fwiw, IMO Trevor Wurtele lost IMAZ last year because he had his sleeve suit rolled up under his wetsuit. Easy to look back at it analyze it versus in the moment, but had he not spent the time in T1 he would have made up most of the deficit to Rapp in the swim and he would have 1) rode with Rapp and not towed around VDC, Jan Peterson Bach, and Denis Chevrot or 2) at least rode with Rapp for part of the way and forced Rapp to ride harder than he wanted and also not towed around the boys listed above.

It is basically the same thing as to why guys use round bottles that have 20-25 grams more than an aero bottle. Sure the aero bottle is more aero on paper, but in a race the risk of lost nutrition or not being able to just replace the bottle is worth more to them then 20-25 grams of drag. For Luke he gambled, he gambled he could get it on in T1 without ripping it and still come out with front pack onto bike. He saved 10-15 watts with the jersey and conserved energy in the punchy part of the race, only to have the reserves to launch an attack in the 2nd part of the race. It was a good gamble, but a gamble nonetheless. The further and further back you are out of front pack the less likely those odd are to work out in your favor. I think the best example of this is still Kienle. I trained with him a bit this spring and asked many questions. If he knows he can't get out with the front pack but he knows he can bike back to the front pack, why wouldn't he want the extra 13 watts the jersey saves him to blow right on by?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jul 30, 14 21:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:
ok, but are we talking about using sleeved suits under a wetsuit restricting movement? what about non wetsuit swims? using it rolled down under a swim skin?

I'm thinking specifically about kona, mckenzie seemed to swim ok, same for crowie and a few others... or did I miss something?

if the problem is movement restriction, it could be used rolled down with a wetsuit also...

There is no issue with it rolled down. The issue then is getting it on when both it and you are wet. That is a HUGE issue. Probably not for a full, but for a half? Yes. I couldn't get the Pearl suit on in practice any quicker than about 40 seconds. You can try to do that if you have a long enough run to T2, but running and doing it is a dicey proposition (there have been some face plants by pros trying).

It's also not ALL sleeved suits. For example, in Syracuse, I wore the Fusion suit and had a very good swim. But that Fusion suit is more elastic (and also not as aerodynamic).

Basically, it seems that the suits that are made with a woven fabric tend to be more aero. These suits also tend to be more restrictive, since woven fabrics stretch less than knitted ones. That's obviously a huge generalization, but having tried a bunch, that seems to be a rough guide that I feel okay enough about.

There's no really easy rule, but I would wager that if a suit is aerodynamically fast, it's probably NOT something you want to swim in. If it's not aero, then it's probably fine. FWIW...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:

Only with. I haven't used without. And without, it'd be rolled down, so there'd be no issue, except trying to get it on when it's wet, which is a challenge...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I think the best example of this is still Kienle. I trained with him a bit this spring and asked many questions. If he knows he can't get out with the front pack but he knows he can bike back to the front pack, why wouldn't he want the extra 13 watts the jersey saves him to blow right on by?

Mid-season logistics and sponsor obligations? I only get my information second-hand from Slowtwitch, but I've only started hearing how massive the aero gains from sleeves are around January or so. Orca doesn't currently have a sleeved suit in the lineup, so maybe they were behind the curve on R&D? Plus, I believe Scott's PR photos of the new Plasma 5 being tested at the velodrome in Switzerland showed him in a sleeved suit, so maybe we'll see a change soon.

I'd really like to know why the suit damages the actual swim. I understand T1 troubles - but surely under a swimskin or wetsuit, drag is not an issue?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
alvaro wrote:

Only with. I haven't used without. And without, it'd be rolled down, so there'd be no issue, except trying to get it on when it's wet, which is a challenge...

Interesting you say that. I thought you were going to say it was all about non-wetsuit swims where you had to pull it up after getting a swim skin off. I used the Pearl Izumi Octane sleeved suit at Kansas 70.3 under a wetsuit and noticed no problems. I am an FOP swimmer and didn't notice a thing. Took some pulling of the sleeves a bit down to my elbows to get it taught when I got on the bike because they had creeped up a little bit during the swim, but otherwise no slower at all for the swim or T1.

Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I think the best example of this is still Kienle. I trained with him a bit this spring and asked many questions. If he knows he can't get out with the front pack but he knows he can bike back to the front pack, why wouldn't he want the extra 13 watts the jersey saves him to blow right on by?

Mid-season logistics and sponsor obligations? I only get my information second-hand from Slowtwitch, but I've only started hearing how massive the aero gains from sleeves are around January or so. Orca doesn't currently have a sleeved suit in the lineup, so maybe they were behind the curve on R&D? Plus, I believe Scott's PR photos of the new Plasma 5 being tested at the velodrome in Switzerland showed him in a sleeved suit, so maybe we'll see a change soon.

I'd really like to know why the suit damages the actual swim. I understand T1 troubles - but surely under a swimskin or wetsuit, drag is not an issue?

It's ONLY a problem when it's pulled up. If you swim with it down, even in a non-wetsuit swim (where you might speculate the "rolled" would add some drag by adding some bulk), it does not seem to present ANY issue.

The T1 issue, however, CAN BE significant. Luke actually ripped his suit getting it on in Kona. Not enough to be a problem, but still a concern. I've popped seems on my Pearl suit practicing getting it on when wet. For an Ironman - certainly a non-Kona Ironman, where "pack dynamics" are less of an issue, it almost certainly makes sense IF YOU KNOW THE SUIT IS FASTER. Not all of them are. Some are, in fact, slower.

Talking to Starky, Orca has been making prototypes for both of them all year. Starky still hasn't found one he likes for the whole race. Seems Sebastian may not either.

The "comfort" issue on the run is another factor as well.

So far, my own experience has been that the most comfortable sleeved suit I wore - the Fusion one - offered no aero advantage. And the fastest suit I wore - the Pearl suit - makes a very real compromise on the swim (or T1) and is definitely ok but not as good on the run.

And the 13w number is ridiculous. 9w is the most I've ever heard, and that was vs a baggy 2 piece with a bunch of pockets that didn't fit well. I saw 5-6w vs a well-made one piece and 6-7w vs a long course specific two-piece kit that fit well.

Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand T1 troubles -//

This is all you really have to understand. And keep in mind any time lost there could lead to 10X, 20X, even 100X more time on the bike, if that time caused you to miss a particular group, or caused you to over bike to get up to that group..Lose 40 seconds in T1 and it could be 10+ minutes by T2. It is not just the few seconds you lose in that short of time, but the overall affect it has on your race. It could be nothing, or in a guy like jordans case, could be the entire race..
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would make me think that for the average age grouper, sleeved seems to be the the way to go as the 40s it takes to put on can be made up and you are not "missing the group". For the average age grouper, there is always a "group" rolling by you in a long course race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
alvaro wrote:

Have you tried swimming with the PI on under a wetsuit but unzipped? I felt restricted in Galveston with it zipped up but had no issues in Buffalo Springs with it unzipped.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look the best in the Kiwami anyway Jordan! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
alvaro wrote:

Have you tried swimming with the PI on under a wetsuit but unzipped? I felt restricted in Galveston with it zipped up but had no issues in Buffalo Springs with it unzipped.

Yes. Both races - Lubbock and Vineman - I swam with it unzipped. I only swam with it zipped up the one time I swam in just that, in water too warm to wear it and a wetsuit together.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love you Jordan. (am I in the cult now, or is there Kool-aid I need to drink?)

In all seriousness, you are a model pro. Just like racing, you are honest as well, I think most people can appreciate that. Go have fun in Brazil dude!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
It's ONLY a problem when it's pulled up. If you swim with it down, even in a non-wetsuit swim (where you might speculate the "rolled" would add some drag by adding some bulk), it does not seem to present ANY issue.

So it sounds like the Pearl suit is affecting your swim due to the restriction or lack of flexibility in the arms/shoulders, not increased drag in the water? I seem to remember reading that you had it tailored to be tighter around the arms, correct? Perhaps that could be contributing to the effect. Since you have only used it pulled up under a wetsuit, drag is obviously not a problem. It's interesting that you're noticing some effects though.

I have used the Octane in every race I have done this year and I'm still trying to decide the best way to handle it in the swim. I've rolled it down under a swimskin a couple of times, but that is a pain in T1. I wore it once under a swimskin with the sleeves exposed, but that didn't seem to be the best option either (and isn't legal for non-wetsuit WTC races). I have also worn it pulled up and zipped under a wetsuit a few times and didn't think there was any problem with that option. My swimming has kind of been all over the place this year. I feel like I currently have the best swim fitness that I have had in several years, but my last two race results haven't been anything special. I hadn't considered (or noticed) that the suit might be slowing me down, even when under a wetsuit. Maybe there is something going on there though.

I tested the Octane in the A2 wind tunnel a few months ago and saw an improvement of 10-13 watts at 25 mph (CdA improvements of .011 and .016 m^2 at 0 and 10 deg. yaw) compared to a well-fitting, generic 2-piece tri kit. That's why I have been so devoted to it this year. I have been riding a lot faster than in the past with similar power numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

The T1 issue, however, CAN BE significant. Luke actually ripped his suit getting it on in Kona. Not enough to be a problem, but still a concern. I've popped seems on my Pearl suit practicing getting it on when wet. For an Ironman - certainly a non-Kona Ironman, where "pack dynamics" are less of an issue, it almost certainly makes sense IF YOU KNOW THE SUIT IS FASTER. Not all of them are. Some are, in fact, slower.

Talking to Starky, Orca has been making prototypes for both of them all year. Starky still hasn't found one he likes for the whole race. Seems Sebastian may not either.

The "comfort" issue on the run is another factor as well.

So far, my own experience has been that the most comfortable sleeved suit I wore - the Fusion one - offered no aero advantage. And the fastest suit I wore - the Pearl suit - makes a very real compromise on the swim (or T1) and is definitely ok but not as good on the run.

And the 13w number is ridiculous. 9w is the most I've ever heard, and that was vs a baggy 2 piece with a bunch of pockets that didn't fit well. I saw 5-6w vs a well-made one piece and 6-7w vs a long course specific two-piece kit that fit well.

That's very, very interesting to read. I have no previous bias here, I'm simply happy to learn how professionals like you make these decisions - especially when some make such radically different choices.

I've recently "bought" a sleeved suit - rather, the Champion Systems importer got his order mixed up and I received the Apex Speedsuit rather than the Apex backzip (expensive mistake on his part...) - and with the fall season still two months away, I'm doing lots of thinking about how (or whether) to incorporate it in my racing. Worst case, it can serve as a cycling skinsuit. Best case, my go-to suit for anything from wetsuit-legal Oly and any 70.3 and up.

So there are basically two scenarios here which I'd like to understand:
  1. Wetsuit-legal swim: The suit is worn, and whether zipped or unzipped you felt it was restricting your movements
  2. Wetsuit-illegal swim: Suit rolled down under swimskin, and then the issue is getting it on in T1, both in terms of time loss and in terms of suit damage.

Some of these are factors that affect you, as a professional, more than they'd affect an age-grouper - and also between professionals, each faces a different scenario. I assume a superfish could afford (or just overcome) the extra difficulty in the swim, and a pro who can't hold the main pack anyhow might opt to pay that price in favour of an easier time chasing on the bike - whereas a pro who's on the limit in the pack might prefer the better swim. Meanwhile, most age-groupers will find some sort of pack regardless of where they are (and they're less dependent on tactics and more on "race your own race"), so maybe those choices are less critical.

I mean, in Kona 2013, Van Lierde chose to let the pack go in T1 to take his time with compression sleeves while McKenzie and Crowie wore their sleeved suits. For two of them, that gamble paid off.

So if you found the Pearl's sleeves less restricting in the swim - and noticing that restriction is a huge compliment to the Roka's flexibility - then you might choose that again for wetsuit-legal races, and if rolling it up in T1 were easier/more reliable, then it might be an option on some wetsuit-illegal races?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar at Calgary 70.3 [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So if you found the Pearl's sleeves less restricting in the swim - and noticing that restriction is a huge compliment to the Roka's flexibility - then you might choose that again for wetsuit-legal races, and if rolling it up in T1 were easier/more reliable, then it might be an option on some wetsuit-illegal races?

Yes. And yes.

Quote Reply

Prev Next