Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

50 mile TT target wattage?
Quote | Reply
This will be my first 50 mile TT and I'd like to have a good idea on target wattage. Based on prior years and the guys I've raced against I'm hoping worst case I'll be on the course about 2:05.

Am I looking at about 85% target? 90%? I am fully aware the last 30 minutes will be very hurtful :) Thanks.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: 50 mile TT target wattage? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
95-98%

85%, I did that last night as part of a 55 mile tempo ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend ~92%. Lots of pains can come up just from the position if you aren't accustomed to long TTs. If you also overcook the beginning, you'll be wishing you were dead.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 mile TT target wattage? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
92% makes me feel better...LOL. I've done longer rides and raced up to half iron on the tri bike, but I'm in a more aggressive position and have not ridden for 2 hours in this setup. It will be interesting. Especially being able to see mayyyyyybe 15' up the road.

Hearing 98% for 2 hours for a triathlete type rider that's used to almost never going 100% is scary!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am psychotic though, so expected from me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done 1hr TTs in this setup where you paced properly?

I have several data points for ~23min and ~56min TTs. It's tough to compare though because the short one is hilly and the long one isn't. If I look at AP the ratio is 93%. If I look at NP it's 88%. I'm at high altitude though, so the anaerobic contribution effects the shorter TT number more than at sea level. If I did a 120min TT I don't think I'd have a problem at 92%+ of FTP. IMO it is better to be safe at the beginning, and pour it on later if you are able.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 mile TT target wattage? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done 50 mins in a position slightly higher. I'm not real concerned about being too low. I've also done FTP intervals in this position so I know that it's a sustainable position. I have a bad back so if something was bad it would light up well in advance of 2 hours.

I'm also going to do a sprint tri tomorrow so that will give a good test run and probably at the same % FTP. If I feel the need to make a tweak to the setup I can do that as the TT is next weekend.

Thanks for the tips.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like FH50 :) if so, I am told it is very rolly and full of riders in the way and possibly need to be on toes for correct turns. if something else, ignore this comment
Quote Reply
Re: 50 mile TT target wattage? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is and I have not ridden the course. I'm a bit concerned about my casette (11-23) being a hair too big. I guess there's only really one way to find out for sure. I might swap to 11-25 depending on my mood.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the FH50 5-6 six times in the past. My power is generally 95% of FTP. I would recommend the 11/25. You will appreciate it on the 15 miles around Lake Owen.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 mile TT target wattage? [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My FTP is 305w and my 80km TT effort was 285w for a 1:57
Hope this helps - weight is 69kg. Felt great and no loss of power toward the end. Last 10km split was fastest of the ride. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 mile TT target wattage? [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much. I will install the 11-25 before the race.

Quote Reply