Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much does running affect FTP?
Quote | Reply
Seen people saying that your FTP is limited if you're also running or that starting running will decrease FTP on various threads. Does anyone have any numbers on this? And why does it happen, is it because you're then not biking as much or because of muscular adaptations? Would love to hear some info on this!
Quote Reply
Re: How much does running affect FTP? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Seen people saying that your FTP is limited if you're also running or that starting running will decrease FTP on various threads. Does anyone have any numbers on this? And why does it happen, is it because you're then not biking as much or because of muscular adaptations? Would love to hear some info on this!

It is really simple. An elite cyclist is typically faster than an elite triathlete on the bike and an elite runner faster than an elite triathlete on a run. It is simply more quality volume of specific training, plus, of course, adequate recovery. You can't do the volume/quality of an elite swimmer, and elite cyclist and an elite runner, not for long anyway.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: How much does running affect FTP? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so it's not that running is somehow bad for one's cycling ability but rather that subtracting time from cycling to also run regularly takes away from biking ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Ok so it's not that running is somehow bad for one's cycling ability but rather that subtracting time from cycling to also run regularly takes away from biking ability.

Yes.

You chose multi-sport not single sport. Hence the well deserved reputation triathletes have for being mediocre at three sports.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: How much does running affect FTP? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a triathlete train 10 hour on the bike, 5 running and 3 swimming, Imagine what happens if he trained 18 hour just biking???

Leg fatigue in running most definitely impact your cycling, though I find the opposite to be a greater impact. Cycling really kills my running since some muscle fatigue impact critical motions to good run mechanics. In cycling, the crank and pedals are fixed, so the motion is regulated. You simply lose power.

Funny how it will sneak up on you. I ran a 20mi long run Tuesday, then come Thursday I had my long ride planned. I felt great for about 90 minutes, having to really back off to stay at my power target. Then my ability to make power slowly just trailed off. At the end it was a solid focused effort just to ride at 70%. I now know how I DON'T want my legs to feel coming into T2 of an IM. Run specific fatigue creeps up on your cycling workouts. Swimming just saps energy and glycogen stores overall during a hard training week.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago when I was a pure cyclist, my FTP was 5.5watt/kg where now as a multisport athlete, it is around 4.9watt/kg. My training volume is similar (totals anyway). I do ride 2 or more fewer times per week now (3-4 times) than then, so it may be due to the reduction in riding as much as the impact from doing the added running (I don't see swimming have much of a degradation on cycling power and fitness). I can't be sure which is more impactful, but I do feel that running takes a toll for sure, since whenever I am injured (or limited from running but not cycling) I find that I feel more power and pop in my legs. I don't, however, feel like I have more endurance so it may deaden the legs more than limit them, if you get what I am saying.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply