Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
Like this. Helpful

Tuna pouches
Instant oatmeal - if I can get a microwave. Or maybe a coffee cup and hot water?
Granola
Nuts - maybe those 100 calorie packs

Let's assume I can get to the store or pack stuff in my carry on

What are you packing?

I usually try to pack it all. I'll put each serving of nuts in a small snack-size Ziploc baggie (the 100 cal packs would be fine, too.) Oatmeal, tuna, they all go in the suitcase or carry-on. No trouble with TSA since it's not liquid. One other go to for me is raisins.

On the oatmeal, you can usually get a hot cup of water to mix it up. Every hotel has some way to get coffee/tea, just use that hot water. Don't be surprised, though, when your request for hot water confuses the cashier. Some places can handle it. Others say they have to charge for the cup. Whatever, $1 for breakfast is not too hard to take. Throw some raisins in the oatmeal, maybe a banana from the continental breakfast, and add 10-12 nuts and you've got a decent breakfast with some fat, carbs, and protein. Find a way to get some egg whites and you are set (this is hit-or-miss depending on the hotel).

If I can get to a store, I'll grab some yogurt, too, and put that in the mini-fridge. If you are not averse to paying a ridiculous price for a few cups of yogurt, I find the hotel gift shop usually has a passable yogurt so you don't even need to get to a store.

With the tuna, I'll sometimes pack sandwich thins so I'm not just eating the tuna by itself. Add some nuts for fat and there's a meal.

You'll also find they'll have plastic forks/knives in the hotel.

For a same-day trip, I might go with just nuts or a Cliff Bar, maybe a Lenny and Larry's cookie. But, if I have a multi-day trip, I'm planning and packing. This is both for nutrition but also because I will likely be trying to get in my workouts and I know these foods are easy on my stomach. Running from a presentation, to a conference, to a sales meeting, then trying to eat and workout is tough. If you don't plan, you'll end up either skipping meals (no good) or eating what's fast and easy and that's usually bad for the workout.

Again, this food planning adds a half hour to my packing but it's worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goes in my checked bag, or I buy it when I get there.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sandwhich thin or small wrap is solid idea was trying to figure out carb that didn't need prep but didn't have much sugar (like a lot of granola).
Do you find the tuna to be really stinky in the pouch?

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oatmeal in packets.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating right while traveling for work (hotel/flying/etc) [inv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like oatmeal idea but want to have a 100% unavoidable plan just in case no bowl/cup available

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
I like oatmeal idea but want to have a 100% unavoidable plan just in case no bowl/cup available

You can heat water in your coffee maker and make it in the provided coffee cup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just pack snacks of:

Apples
Walnuts
A banana
A few nutrition bars (healthier ones)

These are by go-tos when traveling. They all travel pretty well and will keep you feeling "cleaner".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was traveling a lot I usually ate out most of the time, but was just careful about what I ordered. A lot of restaurants are offering healthier offerings on their menus. Still, a lot of it is just making healthy choices: Avoid red meat, just fish or chicken, salads and veggies. Avoid stuff prepared with rich sauces or dressings.
Restaurant portions tend to be huge, but there's no rule that says you have to clean your plate. Eat slowly and stop before you feel full. Maybe a glass of wine (or two), but no hanging out at the hotel bar.
Avoid anything out of the hotel vending machines: sodas, salty snacks, cookies, etc.
I normally liked to go back to my room after dinner and do a workout routine with pushups, crunches and other body-weight exercises like chair dips, etc. while I watched TV.
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pack an insulated lunch bag full of healthy snacks (raw power bars, nuts chocolate etc...) and usually a couple of Amy's burritos just in case I can't find a store or restaurant I can eat at. I have not yet been to a place where they didn't have a health food store. WF is in most cities. And there are always small stores around too. (Island Naturals for the win!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to a camping store and buy a collapsible bowl and spork. You can also buy some freeze dried meals if you like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel globally quite often for work... sometimes for up to 2 weeks at a time. I think that the biggest thing is really to make sure that you're well-equipped to avoid temptations of all sorts.

I will always try to grab some apples to throw in my bag... most hotels these days have an ample supply at check-in, in the lobby, wherever. I also bring along a bag of nuts and some small zip-lock bags to put in my bag. Apples and nuts beat the snacks they put out at break-time during meetings, which are usually devoid of any nutrients whatsoever.

My schedule has me eating out quite often during my travels. Do NOT use this as an excuse... just focus on selecting good foods: a lot of vegetables, salads, lean proteins, etc. It CAN be done, it's just a lot easier to give-in after a long day of work and being away from home. No excuses... works for me! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often check my bag when I fly so I can have a small cooler in it with things like hard boiled eggs, whole milk greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese. Most hotels have little refrigerators, or worst case I keep everything packed with ice after arriving. I pack bring nuts, buffalo jerky, protein bars, and single serving packets of Justin's Maple Almond butter to have as a snack with a banana. I also pack my blender bottle and UCAN protein packets. At conferences where meals are provided I will ask for healthy options if there isn't already a healthy option available. They may only be serving fried chicken, but if you ask you can almost always get them to bring out a single plate with grilled chicken. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never been told "no" when I've requested different food at a conference or meeting. I think the biggest thing is requesting what you want and not just saying "well, all they are serving is crap so I guess that's all I have to eat." And finally, like others have said seek out groceries stores when possible.

As for oatmeal ... you can bring instant oatmeal packets and run water through the coffee maker (with no grounds obviously) to heat up the water and mix the oatmeal in a coffee mug. Or keep a small plastic bowl in your suitcase. It's not that hard, it just takes a little more pre-trip planning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beef Jerky is your friend...High protein, lean, and "tiring" to eat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some grocery stores deliver.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had to travel extensively overseas and domestically, long days 6am start, 10pm (or later finish) etc. Usually half my luggage was food of some description. I don't normally advocate packaged food but can be better than alternatives.

There are a whole host of organic this, raw that, "no added x, y, z" blah blah blah packaged bars. Protein/greens/meal replacement powders etc that can help fill any nutritional void. Dried fruit and nuts are a good go to (dried dates are a favourite), they are nutritionally dense but calories heavy too. Real fruit is even better. Long life milk/almond milk/soy etc - have it with some muesli or similar and then drink the rest with aforementioned powder, no need for refrigeration.

Smart choices can be made usually at breakfast in hotels, fresh fruit, some multigrain toast etc. Even a little white bread won't ruin things in the short term.

And I always travel with one of these. http://www.aeropress.com.au (you do have access to water, right?)
Quote Reply

Prev Next