Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Did you notice any improvement in posture with this?

I've been on this chair 10 months.

First of all I no longer even notice -- it seems natural to sit on it.

In normal chairs I slouch(leaning backwards with my hips pushing forward) BAD. With this chair my posture varies from upright to sometimes a forward lean where I put my elbows on my desk.

Comfort is good. Quality is good as I have used it for 10 months 5 days a week 8 hours a day and I only added air once.

Did it make me a better "sitter"? I don't have a control group, but I have no reason why I would not buy another if it broke.

I'm 5'11" 175lbs with a 32" inseam. If I were much taller I don't think this version would fit me. Weight doesn't seem to be an issue as all my heavier coworkers have tried out my chair.

One warning: I paid my own money to buy one to sit on at work. I was careful to hide my "normal" desk chair as we have chair thieves and any "open" chair will be appropriated. Once you are comfortable this is not an issue, but prior I would be cautious to make sure you don't lose your existing chair.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
but sitting beats standing up for hours at a time, and even if you walk a lot rather than sitting, I don't see that walking is going to improve the running abilities of anyone who runs very much.

Yes I found in my previous career which consisted of standing for all of an 8-10 hour shift every day (except for the required 30 minute break) that my legs were always tired. I also tried every possible type of shoe to keep my feet from hurting and never succeeded. I was much younger then and my training load was 50% less than what it is now so I can't imagine doing that job today. I am happy to have a desk job these days.

Ya, agree 100%, I just would not want a job that required standing 8 or more hrs/day.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
My N=1 experience:
If I sit for longer uninterupted periods during work, my legs look & feel somewhat bloated or swollen in the evening. I think it is a circulation issue.
This is especially true if I have a tough workout or race and sit a lot the following day.

Incidentally, what helped me figure out the connection between long uninterrupted sitting and sore/swollen legs is the inactivity alerts on my Polar V800.
It's a shame that (for now) these alerts don't come on the watch in real-time, but instead you just see them on the web-platform when syncing at the end of the day (when its too late)...

I think this is true for lots of people, best thing is to get the the legs elevated at least parallel to the floor in a second chair, or preferably higher, i.e. up on your desk, etc. If your boss says anything, just assure him/her you are indeed working hard but are also trying to assist your legs' recovery. I do this quite often and my "productivity" is higher than anyone else in my work group. Of course, this will only work if you have a job with no public interaction, since the "general public" will just think we're being lazy:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [CobraKai Triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CobraKai Triguy wrote:
My legs were constantly sore from all the volume along w/ being on my feet all day. This year I've been sitting again, and i'm able to do more volume w/ less soreness.
I'll bet...I've been doing sprints & Olys so much less volume. Figured I'd do it like interval training: 15 min standing, 45 minutes sitting and go from there. Other than the cost, I figured it can't hurt me too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sitting isn't paleo. Did the caveman sit on a modern 90 degree chair for hours a day? I think not!!!!

I made a thread about this not long ago too:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0%20minutes;#5157842

I also bought a tread desk, and do high speed intervals while doing my taxes. JK, I bought a standing desk:

It's a specially designed, ergonomic, super desk designed for superhuman paleo CEO types. It set me back $5,000.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Jul 25, 14 12:05
Quote Reply

Prev Next