Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming Question
Quote | Reply
I am trying to build my swimming muscular endurance. I am using some paddles and leg bands to do this. From what I understand, it is supposed to be difficult. I tried it today and I did 1000 yds which wasn't too difficult. So I suspect that I am doing something wrong since I can't find any videos on this.

I used medium TYR paddles (the red one) and a Finis ankle band with no pull buoy.
I didn't go too fast since it was the first time I was doing this and wanted to see how my shoulders would tolerate it. A comfortable pace, you might say.
I noticed that the legs were sinking without the kick.
Did 2 sets of 500 yds with a couple min of rest in between. Although I feel the extra resistance, it wasn't too hard on my shoulders or on my swim muscles.

If anyone has a video on this, I would love to see it. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Question [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sinking legs usually means that you need to engage your core.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats your average pace per 100m?

You may have some good fundamentals already -- it isnt necessarily hard for everyone. Those that find it damn near impossible have things to work out.

I find it much easier with paddles than without

When i swim on my own and not with masters, i'll do a 1500m set:

10x50m band/pull/paddles
10x50m band/paddles
10x50m band only

That band only one is very difficult for me, the others are solid work but not 'hard' per say
Last edited by: chrisodg: Jul 24, 14 15:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it isn't necessarily supposed to be difficult, just expose stroke flaws.

Also,difficulty is pace dependent, i.e. doing anything flat out is gonna be difficult, doing something "not too fast" and at "a comfortable pace" is going to feel comfortable, by definition.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Question [chrisodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisodg wrote:
Whats your average pace per 100m?

You may have some good fundamentals already -- it isnt necessarily hard for everyone. Those that find it damn near impossible have things to work out.

I find it much easier with paddles than without

When i swim on my own and not with masters, i'll do a 1500m set:

10x50m band/pull/paddles
10x50m band/paddles
10x50m band only

That band only one is very difficult for me, the others are solid work but not 'hard' per say

My Tpace is about 1:40. I didn't time myself but it felt like I was going a 2:00/100m pace.
Btw, do you need the band, if you have the pull buoy in between the legs? Doesn't that take the legs out anyways?
Last edited by: KingMidas: Jul 24, 14 20:17
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
it isn't necessarily supposed to be difficult, just expose stroke flaws.

Also,difficulty is pace dependent, i.e. doing anything flat out is gonna be difficult, doing something "not too fast" and at "a comfortable pace" is going to feel comfortable, by definition.

Yeah. I had just heard that if you do 1000m like that, you're a badass.
I am definitely not a badass.
I was being cautious to see how it felt for 1000m. I'll pick up the pace from here on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
[

My Tpace is about 1:40. I didn't time myself but it felt like I was going a 2:00/100m pace.
Btw, do you need the band, if you have the pull buoy in between the legs? Doesn't that take the legs out anyways?[/quote]
Take away the PB and report back... Enjoy :)

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Question [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IREPathletics wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
[

Btw, do you need the band, if you have the pull buoy in between the legs? Doesn't that take the legs out anyways?

Take away the PB and report back... Enjoy :)[/quote]
Actually, in his original post, he said he just used paddles and the band, with no buoy. I think he was responding to the set posted by Chris that had 3 diff parts with and w/o the buoy.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Question [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thank you for the video. The example he gives about what not to do.... well, that's me. lol.
I'll work on getting it right. I'll still continue to use some paddles for muscular endurance and some resistance bands.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Question [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
IREPathletics wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
[

Actually, in his original post, he said he just used paddles and the band, with no buoy. I think he was responding to the set posted by Chris that had 3 diff parts with and w/o the buoy.[/quote]

Exactly. My understanding was that the whole purpose of the band is to take the legs out so that you learn how to be more horizontal as well as strengthen the arms since you will swim with more drag. If that's the case, then the pull buoy negates the effect of the band. Right?
Last edited by: KingMidas: Jul 24, 14 21:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IREPathletics wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
[

Actually, in his original post, he said he just used paddles and the band, with no buoy. I think he was responding to the set posted by Ch've never had the scissor issue so I've never felt the band was of that much value to me as it just made swimmris that had 3 diff parts with and w/o the buoy.

Exactly. My understanding was that the whole purpose of the band is to take the legs out so that you learn how to be more horizontal as well as strengthen the arms since you will swim with more drag. If that's the case, then the pull buoy negates the effect of the band. Right?[/quote]
Not really because of the buoyancy provided by the buoy; results vary according to a given person's style of swimming and the degree of effectiveness of their kick but most people will be slower w/ just the band than w/ the band and buoy, and a little faster still when pulling with just the buoy, as taking away the band but leaving the buoy allows the ankles/feet to float more naturally. A good swimmer will be just a touch faster when swimming full-stroke than when pulling w/ just the buoy. Adding in the paddles makes pretty much everyone faster in any configuration.

Personally, I think the people who benefit most from the band are those with a scissor kick, as the band forces them not to scissor, which is very beneficial since scissoring results in very slow swimming due to the almost total stop the swimmer comes to when breathing. There's a guy at my pool with a bad scissor and i'm on the verge of giving him a free band and free swim lesson just because i cringe every time i watch him swimming:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply