Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Goin pee-pee [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
First off, I start every day with 100 ounces of water. This is every day, not just race days or long runs or rides.

I also drink at least another 40 ounces during the day when I do nothing but drive a vehicle all day or sit at a desk.

When I run I drink about 10 ounces per hour and when I ride it is at least double.

In a 70.3 I will usually pee in the water when waiting to start, sometimes I will pee again on the swim exit (I feel bad about this, running to T1 with pee coming out the ankles of my wetsuit, but what are you gona do??)

I pee on the bike AT LEAST once and usually 2X and once on the run.

I think one of the tricks to being properly hydrated is drinking a lot of water EVERY DAY like I do so that you have a good base to start with. JMHO

You may want do some research on hyponatremia aka water intoxication.
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riltri wrote:
You may want do some research on hyponatremia aka water intoxication.

I mean.. if they do it every day, maybe they have some kind of super body immunity to hyponatremia.

But it surely seems unhealthy to drink to the point of needing to pee 40x a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roctane huh?

If I start to bonk again this weekend I'll drop the saltsticks and try that next.

Thanks for the heads up.

Debating getting coached for the month on this.
Need to bulletproof this race or its strictly Olympics and sprints for thus guy.

http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/208730390
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a ton of water but if he is excreting it he is fine.

I mean I sweat a lot but I think I would have to be taking bathroom breaks on the reg 2x an hr.

Think it makes him more aero?

Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [jstoveld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would make him float higher, because all his empty space in his gut is like a fishtank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
It would make him float higher, because all his empty space in his gut is like a fishtank.

Hahaha you would take that seriously.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:
Roctane huh?

If I start to bonk again this weekend I'll drop the saltsticks and try that next.

Thanks for the heads up.

Debating getting coached for the month on this.
Need to bulletproof this race or its strictly Olympics and sprints for thus guy.

It's not about the specific product. I've used half a dozen other products with success as well. Your first focus needs to be on ensuring you have the right fitness and that you're pacing correctly. In my experience, many supposed nutrition/hydration problems are actually due to failures in fitness or pacing.

But when it comes to nutrition, it takes some trial and error to figure out what works best for you. How quickly can you absorb the calories, how does your gut handle certain concentrations, etc.

Make a speadsheet with different products and breakdown the nutrition:
How many carbs? What's the carb breakdown?
How many electrolytes? What's the breakdown?
Any caffeine? How much?
Any protein? How much?

Do a sweat test to determine how much you sweat in similar conditions to your race.

With all that information and the trial and error, you can build a fueling plan broken into 15 minute intervals that should let you know how much you need to ingest of what products to get the fuel and water that work for you. If it sounds complicated, it really isn't. A good mix a complex and simple sugars, some electrolytes but not too many, enough water to compensate for some of what you're losing through sweat (but definitely not all) and a flavor that you like. Add in some solid foods if you prefer that, but you can break them down the same way.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you on testing the same situations. But really.
When do I go through that kind of shit? Hmmm.

When my fiance starts talking and I have to grin and bear it.

I sweat like no ones business playing hockey.

I sweat only a little when heavy lifting but sweat more when doing abs.

Though really I don't think I've done much that is as sweaty as doing a tri in the hot summer mugginess.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:
I hear you on testing the same situations. But really.
When do I go through that kind of shit? Hmmm.

Train in the conditions you're going to race. My races are usually hot and muggy, so I do my running in the hottest part of the day in the Houston heat.

If you don't go through the pain in training, you're definitely going to feel it during the race.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The magic of a 9-6 job.

Wearing a suit and tie during work loses its luster when you start sweating through.

Though this weekends bricks will be on par as you suggest.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:
That is a ton of water but if he is excreting it he is fine.

I mean I sweat a lot but I think I would have to be taking bathroom breaks on the reg 2x an hr.

Think it makes him more aero?

I don't think that you and several others have connected all the dots. I am not saying that to be an azz. Dilutional hyponatremia is a very serious event and can lead to death. The fact that he IS excreting the fluids can be a contributing factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
I don't know where that 24oz/hour limit earlier in the thread came from, but if true that must be an average limit which varies hugely by person. I regularly drink double that amount without any problems such as bloating or fluid sitting in the stomach.

It does not vary widely and it is not based on how much you sweat. Read this thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...im%20noakes;#5056946

Also, Read Waterlogged by Tim Noakes

Couldn't find anything about 24oz/hr in there. The study I linked to above found an average sweat rate in triathletes preparing for Kona of 1.4l/hour or 48oz. So if both those numbers were right and you can't absorb more than 24oz/hr, then the average triathlete would have a net fluid loss of 24oz/hour or ~15lbs during 10 hours of racing. That's clearly not the case or the course would be littered with collapsed athletes, so what am I missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a little searching since my earlier post and found 400-800 ml (13.5 - 27 oz.) to be the most often cited number for water. If you can find anything scientific (not ST pontificating) that states otherwise, please point me to it. Again, not an expert, it's just what I found from several different sources.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You may want do some research on hyponatremia aka water intoxication."

I have, the book Waterlogged by Tim Noakes is a great read. http://www.amazon.com/...urance/dp/145042497X

I don't think I have that problem. I do load up on H2O in the AM but throughout the day I drink when thirsty and never "force it down"

I am 41 years old, have been doing this for a LONG time and have not had any problems yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the real bad news, I don't think I am the only one pissing in the water while we all wait for the swim to start.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not 40 times a day but at least 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
Here is the real bad news, I don't think I am the only one pissing in the water while we all wait for the swim to start.

This is false.

There have to be more people in the water peeing for it to be accurate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Anando - depends on the person. Also depends on the event.

For some reason Beach2Battleship Half 2013 was a pee-fest. I peed a ton on the bike, as did many others as said in their race reports. Like a pee PR.

So, really hard to nail down a healthy pee rate because lots of variables.

"Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racin' in the street." Bruce Springsteen
Last edited by: Bigcreek: Jul 26, 14 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick update.

20 miles into the bike I peed. Big deal as I normally don't.

Just scratch labs and no nutrition.

Wonder if GU is clogging me up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright Sunday went for a long bike and a run.

Brought Salt tabs
3 bottles of skratch labs
3 honey stinger waffles (which by the by are amazing.)

Did ok on the 50+ bike.

Couldnt breathe after 2 miles on the run.

Though I didn't feel dehydrated or insanely stiff and locking up.

I blame myself for not working on my run as much as I should have been over the last few weeks
and a little bit on the humidity.

Feel good about the diet portion though as I was sweating WELLL into the day.

More pavement pounding is in my future.

I did pee at mile 25 and a few more times later in the day too.
Wasn't a bright neon yellow but more a clear with yellow tint to it.
Feeling better but not confident.

Quote Reply

Prev Next