Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Dude - I had one week that met your training volume and Im trying to break 9 hours (or as close as possible).

Here are my numbers for comparison

Wt: 147
Ht: 5' 10
FTP: 275
Open Marathon: 2:48
Averages since IMTX (week off after IMTX):
Swim: 4000yds/week
Bike: 210ish
Run: 45 or so

With that said, I was born and raised here and alt doesn't affect me. My IM PR is 9:10.

I don't think you should have an issue breaking 10hr. You race the distance much before?

I like your approach to swimming. Looks like you're a guy that likes to have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seem to have the right prep, just a couple things I'd take into consideration.

Heat - as state above. It was 90+ degrees last weekend, and I feel the bike course is going to just destroy people who don't pace correctly or maintain enough hydration. Lot's of time sizzling in the heat.

Swim- Will mostly likely be a non-wetsuit swim. Be careful with pacing this as well, that water could definitely cause over-heating and a negative fluid balance from the get go.

Altitude- Unless you can get here and stay 3-4 weeks before the race, your best bet will be to fly in on Friday or Saturday. It's not much time before, but the altitude will not strike you as much in those first 1-2 days. If you come Monday-Wednesday, the week before, that altitude fatigue could hit you right on race day. So be weary of this when booking your flights!!!

Best of luck!

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
Dude - I had one week that met your training volume and Im trying to break 9 hours (or as close as possible).

Here are my numbers for comparison

Wt: 147
Ht: 5' 10
FTP: 275
Open Marathon: 2:48
Averages since IMTX (week off after IMTX):
Swim: 4000yds/week
Bike: 210ish
Run: 45 or so

With that said, I was born and raised here and alt doesn't affect me. My IM PR is 9:10.

I don't think you should have an issue breaking 10hr. You race the distance much before?

I like your approach to swimming. Looks like you're a guy that likes to have fun.

Grew up a swimmer and a procrastinator. I'm also lazy and hate chasing lines. Some day I'll train like I "should."

Im doing IMKY 3 weeks after Boulder, then Kona X weeks after IMKY. My plan is to "swim" up to my potential by the big one. Ha ha. I guess we will see about that one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell yes! That's some impressive volume and with a smart taper you should be loaded for bear.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [wyhaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather Channel 10 day model presently shows 80's for the high Saturday the 2nd with 40% chance of rain. Too far out for Aug 3rd yet.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will join you boys on 79th, count me in.

We fly our to Cali for Vineman today. I am alone all week though, Tues evening?

Want to do a prediction on what the wifey does?

Stats:
Height: 5'4
Weight: 125lbs
FTP: She thinks high
Open Marathon: 3:20
Swim: 2 hours a week
Bike: 155 miles a week
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think I will hold off for a few more days to pull the trigger. I don't feel like paying over $1000 to get fried by the sun.

I read that the water temp was 74-75 today. And with a few days in the 80s and some rain I bet this is wetsuit legal.

My plan was to arrive Friday AM.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daveinmammoth wrote:
How are ?3000 (not sure how many signed up but its the "biggest")
Actual number i think was nearing 4000. Then with known attritions it will be back in the low 3s by the gun.

daveinmammoth wrote:
...people going to run out and backs 2x on a 4.5 foot path?

the path is 9' wide. just 4.5' each direction.... that'll be a lot of fun on loop two.

Ask DC (the RD), he seems to think that an awful race in boulder is something we should be happy for over no race at all. He wasn't exactly open to the professional opinions of other RDs in the area. (personally i'll take nothing over shit but if this event discourages people from thinking boulder is the shit than i'm all for it ;) )

daveinmammoth wrote:
Sounds like a disaster though I like the shade part...Concrete - not asphalt? I'll have to wear cushy shoes.

mostly shade, still going to be a a lot of course in the sun tho. 100% concrete, no asphalt. and some downhill-ish running closer to the canyon.

daveinmammoth wrote:
I'll 2nd the oppressive heat from the sun at altitude...and the deceptive nature of the wind/heat/dryness taking its toll....my plan is to go slow and drink lots :).

Dave

smart man!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [lmicah3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she is doing vineman and boulder?

have fun. we HAVE to sit down and talk!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now it looks like party cloudy 79-80 degrees for 8/3/14 but we know things can change pretty quick! My plan is to hold off until Sunday to make the decision. But if it hold 79-80 and partly cloudy is perfect racing conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIDAVID2 wrote:
I posted this in another thread but I thought I would get more feedback by making a thread. I'm a east coast guy thinking about racing IM Boulder. (with no altitude training).

I'm going to throw this out there because I need to make a decision soon (I have a chance to race via foundation spot but my link expires in a few days).
Wt: 180lbs
Ht: 6'2"
FTP: 290
Open Marathon Time: 2:57
TT 400 yard swim: 00:05:45
Averages (last 12 weeks):
Swim: 11000yards/wk (3.25hrs)
Bike: 289 miles/wk (14.5hrs) with 12000 ft elevation gain/wk
Run: 50 miles/wk (6.75 hrs)
CTL: 130

What kind of time am I looking at IM Boulder?

You've pretty well maxed out your training other than trading swim for bike time... not a bad move overall. Being a taller guy, the bike is where you need to shine.... without killing your run.

CTL for all 3 disciplines?...or just run/bike? FI all 3 its' pretty low.... especially with that volume. If just run/bike it's pretty solid. Good thing your working on the bike. 290 FTP is good but not a great P/W ratio for this course, but according to BBS, it's just as fast as IM Florida.... for me at least (has my time 25' faster than IMWI).

I'd guess 1:10/4:55 (depending on how aero you are)/3:35... so I think a 9:45-9:50ish is very possible. Good luck!

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
TRIDAVID2 wrote:
I posted this in another thread but I thought I would get more feedback by making a thread. I'm a east coast guy thinking about racing IM Boulder. (with no altitude training).

I'm going to throw this out there because I need to make a decision soon (I have a chance to race via foundation spot but my link expires in a few days).
Wt: 180lbs
Ht: 6'2"
FTP: 290
Open Marathon Time: 2:57
TT 400 yard swim: 00:05:45
Averages (last 12 weeks):
Swim: 11000yards/wk (3.25hrs)
Bike: 289 miles/wk (14.5hrs) with 12000 ft elevation gain/wk
Run: 50 miles/wk (6.75 hrs)
CTL: 130

What kind of time am I looking at IM Boulder?

You've pretty well maxed out your training other than trading swim for bike time... not a bad move overall. Being a taller guy, the bike is where you need to shine.... without killing your run.

CTL for all 3 disciplines?...or just run/bike? FI all 3 its' pretty low.... especially with that volume. If just run/bike it's pretty solid. Good thing your working on the bike. 290 FTP is good but not a great P/W ratio for this course, but according to BBS, it's just as fast as IM Florida.... for me at least (has my time 25' faster than IMWI).

I'd guess 1:10/4:55 (depending on how aero you are)/3:35... so I think a 9:45-9:50ish is very possible. Good luck!

Sorry CTL is for bike/run. I only started tracking it last 12 weeks. 4:55 seems fast I was thinking 5:10-5:15. Not sure why BBS is making this a fast course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after the week we've had all the locals will be rejoicing for a similar forecast. a lot of times when temps are forecast for that low (but not all times) it means that T-storms will develop early so there's the possibility of having to deal with them on the bike. Just trying to set up all contingency plans!!!!

Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [chrica04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrica04 wrote:
You seem to have the right prep, just a couple things I'd take into consideration.

Heat - as state above. It was 90+ degrees last weekend, and I feel the bike course is going to just destroy people who don't pace correctly or maintain enough hydration. Lot's of time sizzling in the heat.

Swim- Will mostly likely be a non-wetsuit swim. Be careful with pacing this as well, that water could definitely cause over-heating and a negative fluid balance from the get go.

Altitude- Unless you can get here and stay 3-4 weeks before the race, your best bet will be to fly in on Friday or Saturday. It's not much time before, but the altitude will not strike you as much in those first 1-2 days. If you come Monday-Wednesday, the week before, that altitude fatigue could hit you right on race day. So be weary of this when booking your flights!!!

Best of luck!

What's the water temp? I didn't even consider packing a swim skin with me but I'd love it if it were a no wet suit swim.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water temp has been between 74 and 76 this week.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [MOPinCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made the decision to race IM Maryland this Sunday. I did a 2.4 mile open water TT at IM effort. I ended up coming out at 00:59:35. The swim volume has been paying off and the wetsuit really helps me. But it looks like IM Maryland might be wetsuit illegal so now I'm wondering if I should go and race Boulder. My fear is my TSB is -19 after my AM workouts this AM. If I basically do nothing till race but a few easy workouts to stay loose I could get this to come up a lot. Thoughts? Also, thoughts on time to get a Kona slot. I think I could be close to 9:30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is chart showing best performances related to TSB. It turns out that best performances tended to group from -5 to +5 TSB. Plus if you believe Brett Sutton he doesn't really taper his athletes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next