Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Drag/time penalty of Garmin 910 XT during 2.4 mile swim? [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure. I have spoken to numerous people who have been victim of the strap.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Drag/time penalty of Garmin 910 XT during 2.4 mile swim? [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that multisport mode can get screwed up really easily during a race if you like getting certain lap splits. Luckily I practiced using multisport mode on a few brick workouts before I tried it in a race. I hit the lap button without thinking a few times and got it screwed up too. However, after getting used to it there's no problem anymore. You can set auto-lap for each sport and it will take lap splits for you so you can still get a breakdown of splits at regular intervals if you want. I don't do any for the swim, but I auto-lap every 5 miles on the bike and every .5 miles on the run (things can fall apart quickly on the run, I like the frequent feedback).

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Drag/time penalty of Garmin 910 XT during 2.4 mile swim? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
This is an important concern.
You should try to maintain an equal amount of drag on each side.
Perhaps you could add another garmin to the other arm (it doesn't have to work).

Otherwise in open water, you might end up going in circles.

However
It does depend on whether you are right or left handed.
Right handed people in an anticlockwise course loop, might gain a small advantage.
Left handers would benefit from a clockwise loop.
Obviously both wrists, for an out and back. (or switch at the turnaround)

You point out that it is usefull to be able to observe your pace.
Usually (swimmers) in a race it is advisable to go as fast as you can for the distance.
If you can go faster you are going too slow, if you can't go faster, checking your watch won't make it happen.

Hope that helps. :0)

This is the most sensible answer here ever bar none. To add, if the swim is clockwise like IM Mont Tremblant, wear the watch on your right hand so there is more drag on the right and will make you turn the buoy easier. For IM Lake Placid, which is counter clockwise, wear it on your left, for the same reasons. Personally, since I put my Garmin underneath my swim cap, I shift my big toe out on one foot to increase drag on one side and assist during the turn.
Quote Reply
Re: Drag/time penalty of Garmin 910 XT during 2.4 mile swim? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is thread of the year, maybe even the decade.
Quote Reply
Re: Drag/time penalty of Garmin 910 XT during 2.4 mile swim? [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konaexpress wrote:
I have lost 2 310xt in the water. Last 2 races I wrapped clear packing tape around the watch to my wrist. No problem and whenon the bike I tear the tape off. Just make sure you leave a little tab on the tape to ease taking it off. Also tuck it under your wetsuit the best you can. Good luck.

Another tip to avoid losing it..... Place one of those rubber liestrong type bracelets over the watch. Just tight enough to keep the watch in place,access to the buttons, and easy to remove when done deliberately.
Quote Reply

Prev Next