Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know in some races the age groups are so large that they need multiple waves for individual age groups.
As a guy in the 55-59 age group I've never encountered that.

So unless it's a TT type start you are always going head to head with your age group competition.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really about training and not a magic "reserve."

Your sprint uses slightly different and less fatigued muscle groups (according to my track coaches in the 70's) so you can sprint even when you feel exhausted. There is a high oxygen cost to do so which is why you can only do it at the end. It isn't really about holding anything in reserve. Sprint training may not be the best use of training time for triathletes so people with a track background are going to have an advantage in close races
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:

Your sprint uses slightly different and less fatigued muscle groups (according to my track coaches in the 70's) so you can sprint even when you feel exhausted. There is a high oxygen cost to do so which is why you can only do it at the end. It isn't really about holding anything in reserve. Sprint training may not be the best use of training time for triathletes so people with a track background are going to have an advantage in close races

This. I have a track background and am a sprinter by nature (as opposed to an endurance athlete). I do not usually get beaten in a sprint at the end of a running race.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
With a thousand or two people in a race with many different age groups and different wave start times for same age group how would you ever know that you need to sprint to the finish to place in front of another competitor? You might be sprinting to beat someone to the line in your age group, but they may be already 7 minutes ahead of you due to a later swim wave start.

1. Determine before the race the number range for your age group
  2. Know your main competition: what they look like, their kit, etc.
  3. Check out their age on their calf if they are in front of you
  4. Don't let anyone pass you unless you have time to pass them back if need be.

50,000 people run the Bolder Boulder with dozens of start waves, since we're talking bout a 5k race. Plus, no marking of age group.
I think what you are saying might work for a small race, but not a big one. And especially if you're placing in middle of your age group, not a podium, which is what the initial post is about. How would you know who your "competition" is out of hundreds of people?
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
klehner wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
With a thousand or two people in a race with many different age groups and different wave start times for same age group how would you ever know that you need to sprint to the finish to place in front of another competitor? You might be sprinting to beat someone to the line in your age group, but they may be already 7 minutes ahead of you due to a later swim wave start.

50,000 people run the Bolder Boulder with dozens of start waves, since we're talking bout a 5k race. Plus, no marking of age group.
I think what you are saying might work for a small race, but not a big one. And especially if you're placing in middle of your age group, not a podium, which is what the initial post is about. How would you know who your "competition" is out of hundreds of people?

My apologies: when you wrote "how would you ever know that you need to sprint to the finish to place in front of another competitor? You…" I assumed you were asking me about what I do. Since I now only do triathlons, and I invariably am the first in my AG onto the bike (except for Nationals, of course), I tend to know where anyone is in my AG who might be a threat to beating me. And if I'm placing in the middle of my age group (which only happened at Nationals), why do I care?

This weekend I did a race with about 1200 finishers. I guess that's a small race in your world.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:

I raced NJ State last weekend. There was one wave for my AG, I was first onto the bike and, 2 overtook me on the bike. Run was out and back, so I could see close to the turn-around that I wouldn't catch 1st, but I had a chance to catch 2nd. yes, I paid careful attention to these athletes despite hundreds on the course. i caught the guy in 2nd 300 yards from the finish, stayed 5 yards behind until 40 yards to go, then blew past him to take 2nd by 2 seconds. Seemed like a legit reason to sprint to me.

Also, a couple weeks ago I ran a 5km run and moved into 7th OA with half a mile to go. The guy I overtook was a 15 year old kid (I'm in my 40s). I didn't think he was close but with 50 yards to go he tried to sprint past me. I took up the challenge and we had an all out sprint for 50 yards. I won, and couldn't resist a "nice try kid" and a wink after we crossed the line! Those were about all the words I could get out as I nearly collapsed! I thought it was all in good jest though he didn't seem so happy. maybe a less legit sprint, though he started it! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:

What does it matter? You're racing to the finish line, as is everyone else. Just because someone started in a different wave, and you're not actually racing them heads-up, why can't you try to sprint for the finish with them? Sprint finishes are fun. If sprinting for the line with someone who started four minutes ahead of me is the difference between me finishing 41:10 and 41:05 because I'm more motivated, what's wrong with that? Even if I didn't beat that guy, I moved myself up against someone.

And the BB is 10k, not 5k.

Now, the Colder Boulder is 5k, but just about nobody's heard of that. And it has no age groups.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:

yep.. I used to race 400m, can't recall ever losing a sprint to the line except for once at the end of a 50k caught unawares.. 400m teaches you how to suffer anaerobically..

once got passed near the line in a Turkey Trot by a guy running with his dog, passed him back when the dog slowed down ;-) ha.
my dog on the other hand is a competitive advantage, will pull me along, worth at least 5sec/mile..
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is simply an example of poor sportsmanship and a person can be pelinazed for it. Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:

This. I'm always checking those calves.
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [racingmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calves technically do not have to be marked, or marked correctly. I love it when folks say they lost a spot to a person with either of these issues.
The answer is always, why did you not leave it on the race course then?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [racingmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racingmike wrote:
I'm always checking those calves.

I'm just chasing ponytails

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:

Your sprint uses slightly different and less fatigued muscle groups (according to my track coaches in the 70's) so you can sprint even when you feel exhausted.

We'll call this one "myths from the '70's"

• Global Cooling
  • Unprotected sex is a healthy idea
  • The gastrocnemius and soleus that do most of the work flexing your ankle have "helper" muscles that sit around bored during a 5k (not a sprint, but hardly a marathon pace) just waiting to pounce down a finish chute!

Last edited by: chris948: Jul 26, 14 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gentlemen,

It is the space between those areas that should peak your interest.

Also thank you Lulu-lemon, under armor and Nike for making some of the greatest female running shorts ever. Gawking at those have got me through many a tough slog.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Re: What happens after you pass someone at a local 5k... [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deadspin/Fittish finally caught up

http://fittish.deadspin.com/...uel-world-1620272027

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they were friends?

I know I've abused friends before, when they've passed me in races. And I abuse them too on the very rare ocassions when I pass them. To passers by, it probably sounds strange. They abuse me too, so all's fair in love and war.

In the video, they don't seem like friends so probably just a really bad case of sour grapes!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next