Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there?
Quote | Reply
We're going to Chicago for the Labor Day weekend and a wedding.

Staying downtown and hoping to do a running race, even a sprint tri, while there. Also, any problem with me just jumping in Lake Michigan and swimming also?

suggestions? websites besides www.trifind.com to look at?

thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there? [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem jumping into lake michigan and swimming, and I'm sure most everyone else will recommend swimming from Ohio Street Beach. I recently moved out of town and am no longer plugged into the local race scene, but I am sure you can find a 5-10K to run. I always check www.runningintheusa.com for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there? [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues with swimming in Lake Michigan. Many people swim off of the Ohio Street Beach in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will probably be a ton of races over the weekend in the 5-10K range. Just races Chicago and you will be able to find a ton. If you want to swim there's a dedicated area off of Ohio Street Beach for OWS. You can go off of other beaches but make sure you are in an allowed swimming area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how much is going on that weekend in terms of runs/races etc. The weekend prior is the Chicago Triathlon (huge event-downtown) and the following weekend is IM Madison (2 hours away) so I would venture a guess that the available races that weekend might be lighter due to those two events book ending it.

Like already mentioned if you're staying downtown Ohio Street Beach is a great place to jump in and swim. It's the go-to spot for swimmers/triathletes as the distances are marked off (1 lap - 1.2m). The route also runs along the see wall so side benefit of kinda people watching when you come up for air.

Outside of that the lakefront path runs something like 17 miles north/south along the lake. I do the bulk of my long runs on it. Gets super crowded (especially so on this weekend) later in the day but is a great place to run early.

I should either be getting out of the hospital after collapsing at IMLou around then, or have sufficiently sat on my ass long enough after IMlou and should get back out there at this point. If you're looking for any other suggestions or a run/swim drop me a line. If schedule works out more than happy to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[ The weekend prior is the Chicago Triathlon (huge event-downtown) I know and my timing sucks. "Selfish" wedding couple ruined my chance to finally do that race!

I should either be getting out of the hospital after collapsing at IMLou around then, or have sufficiently sat on my ass long enough after IMlou and should get back out there at this point. If you're looking for any other suggestions or a run/swim drop me a line. If schedule works out more than happy to help.[/quote] thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that and best of luck at Louisville
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Not sure how much is going on that weekend in terms of runs/races etc. The weekend prior is the Chicago Triathlon (huge event-downtown) and the following weekend is IM Madison (2 hours away) so I would venture a guess that the available races that weekend might be lighter due to those two events book ending it.

Like already mentioned if you're staying downtown Ohio Street Beach is a great place to jump in and swim. It's the go-to spot for swimmers/triathletes as the distances are marked off (1 lap - 1.2m). The route also runs along the see wall so side benefit of kinda people watching when you come up for air.

Outside of that the lakefront path runs something like 17 miles north/south along the lake. I do the bulk of my long runs on it. Gets super crowded (especially so on this weekend) later in the day but is a great place to run early.

I should either be getting out of the hospital after collapsing at IMLou around then, or have sufficiently sat on my ass long enough after IMlou and should get back out there at this point. If you're looking for any other suggestions or a run/swim drop me a line. If schedule works out more than happy to help.

Hyvee is also on Labor Day weekend and Des Moines is only about 4-1/2 hours I think from Chicago. 70.3 WC is also on the 7th.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the swim from Ohio 1.2 round trip? I always clocked it just a tad under a mile using mapping software, but that never made sense to me with the times it took to swim compared to my 1500 times from legit races (i.e. 5-6 min longer to swim 100m if it was just a mile). 1.2 would make more sense, or all my 1500 swims were short 300m. I did love swimming there, as the water was always clear and cool, and getting out with some 3' chop made for more confident racing in adverse conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there? [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest I've never actually run any GPS while swimming it (I'm still in the dark ages when it comes to swimming tech), but I have heard this before - GPS comes up short but my time is very close to HIM distance, so I think that may be the case?

I'm with you on the chop being excellent prep for races, not totally on board with you on the pristine (my word not yours) description of the water :). It's not terrible though, and the setting is pretty awesome. One of my most memorable swims was last year during perfect weather on the Friday before the air and water show. Nothing like coming up for air and having A-10 Warthogs and Hornets (F-18?) passing a few hundred yards above you.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there? [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just a touch over a mile depending on where you start/finish as there is no marker by the beach, just the 1/4 and 1/2 mile buoys. I like to start out by the buoy line for the boats so it's a bit longer.

When swimming more or less a straight line, my times are much better (2-4mins) out at the buoy line than in closer to the wall. The chop near the wall is unusual... like a washing machine... and can really slow you down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was swimming during practice for the show in 2008 and had the f-22 essentially hovering overhead (though realistically a few hundred yards off to the side). I thought someone was roaring through in a cigarette boat 100 ft away so I lifted up my head expecting he wake to hit me. Nope. That thing was impressive. And loud. Oh so very loud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women's Mag Mile half Marathon is that weekend. Nice opportunity to run down the middle of Michigan Avenue. Haven't done it before but friends rave about the race.

Also, join Lake Monsters at sunrise at North Ave Beach for a fun OWS. http://www.openwaterchicago.com. Beautiful way to start your morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Planning on a swim at Ohio St Beach and long run this weekend along the shore.
Anyone been in the lake lately? What's the temperature? Trying to decide wetsuit or Lava Pants.
appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per OpenWaterChicago, current temp in that area is 74. Enjoy the perfect temps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I just saw this, how about the Oak Brook half marathon on Labor Day? It's not downtown, but western burbs and easy to get to. Like others have suggested, Ohio St. is the local go to for open water swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been hitting the Ohio St Beach for IMlou training the past month, most recent was about a week ago. Felt like 72 or so, so somewhat chilly when you got in but you get used to it very quickly.

Save the packing space and leave the wetsuit at home would be my advice. The lake temp swings but not that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.mychicagoathlete.com/ME2/Default.asp

and here is the calendar
http://www.mychicagoathlete.com/...446D8C018D321884EE41
which is usually complete, but very limited this weekend. Surprising to me.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ST'ers...what to do Labor Day weekend there? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on what the others say. You can definitely go without a wetsuit and be just fine. But I'll re-recommend joining the Open Water Chicago club, Lake Monsters on Saturday morning at 6am. A far more scenic swim than Ohio Street and without all the crowds.
Quote Reply