Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the pro race DL? I saw/heard prize money is going with straight up overall standings for the pros and not male/female and that the women are getting a 6:15 head start on the men.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [10kDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang - I've done LA before but this hilly route reallly does sound epic. If I were still living in LA, that would be a def must-do for me!
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They want to rival the Chicago course? Are they setting the bar low?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No they are using an applicable race that everyone knows as an example of what they want. What better way to promote the race than to say they want the same course as the World Championship.

I don't think they are saying they want that exact same type (lots of corners), but just the multi-lap venue (which is what they have done now).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
No they are using an applicable race that everyone knows as an example of what they want. What better way to promote the race than to say they want the same course as the World Championship.

I don't think they are saying they want that exact same type (lots of corners), but just the multi-lap venue (which is what they have done now).

Yes, they want small footrpint, multiple lap courses.

And they want to attreact the Gomezes and Brownlees and Jorgensons of the circuit. Good luck with that on this course. And there are lots of corners on this one (more than Chicago?), something like 2 180 degree turns (one at the bottom of a steep downhill) and 4 or so 90 degree turns (or greaterin a couple cases, at the bottom of a steep hill) each lap.

ETA don't know ifthe pro sprint chase is DL
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 19, 14 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are not going to attract those guys with an $8k purse. ESPECIALLY with the format where the pro money isn't even guaranteed male/female. It's that silly equalizer rule where the men get to chase down the women and first to the line is the actually winner (regardless of who has faster times).

The pro course is DL from what I was told by one of the pros racing it last week in Vegas.

Now I still do not understand the format of this entire race. It sounds like the pro race is going off first and will be DL. But then the AG race starts so the bike course is going to be filled with DL pack riders (the pros) and racing around the non-draft AGers? Even on an closed course, this just sounds absolutely stupid. But each their own, good luck with it.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
They are not going to attract those guys with an $8k purse. ESPECIALLY with the format where the pro money isn't even guaranteed male/female. It's that silly equalizer rule where the men get to chase down the women and first to the line is the actually winner (regardless of who has faster times).

The pro course is DL from what I was told by one of the pros racing it last week in Vegas.

Now I still do not understand the format of this entire race. It sounds like the pro race is going off first and will be DL. But then the AG race starts so the bike course is going to be filled with DL pack riders (the pros) and racing around the non-draft AGers? Even on an closed course, this just sounds absolutely stupid. But each their own, good luck with it.

Yup. On a very narrow residential street. 1500 people going both ways in aero, with open driveways along the entirety of the course and the only access for these residences. Shitshow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will never be a course as bad as Chicago with it's turns. They had 6 U turns on every lap, it was almost comical. 8 laps, 6 u turns - 48 u turns in a 40k bike course.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it. I need to be a part of this one. If the slower traffic can stay to the right on the bike course it should be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Granted it's only 20 pros so the "packs" are going to likely be small groups, still it's an terribly conceptional idea. Putting DL racers on the same course at the same time as non-draft is really a disservice to both races. But I'm guessing they are doing the DL as just an "test" run to see how feasible the course could be, and trying to squeeze it in. When me and Slowman were having talks about adding DL events, this was one of my worries. You can't half ass DL event. You either give them the full road, or your not really doing a good job with the event, and your more or less trying to cram the 2 events together. Which is fine, hopefully because the pro field is small, it wont be a problem.

ETA: Regardless of whether X race is DL or Y race is non-draft. Putting 1500 people on the same 5 mile course is just dumb, and all within what 40 mins of each other? Yawn

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 19, 14 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [10kDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10kDreamer wrote:
I'm doing it. I need to be a part of this one. If the slower traffic can stay to the right on the bike course it should be ok.

Have you ever done Hermosa? Good luck with that ;)

Also, don't know if you've ridden it yet, I have as part of earlier training this year. If it's an option, bring the roadie.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 19, 14 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Pro men vs women shootout thing is draft legal. This bike course only has a few areas of flat/rollers anyhow. It's mainly up or down. But it's going to be so narrow that it'll probably look like a draft race from the sidelines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I guess they are hoping to get some ITU course experience to the general public. That is what happens with every top ITU races, they do elite race (whether DL or not) and then a day or 2 later they have ~2k age groupers racing as well.

So I guess in that sense this is nothing different than most ITU courses. I hope the pro race isnt DL, and I may have misunderstood talking with one of the pros.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the parking and they are telling people to bike in from the Marriott by Del Amo...really??? Also, I love how they say they want the soft sand run cause it will make the race special like Escape from Alcatraz. Don't you have to build up a reputation on a solid course first

I am seriously questioning this race.
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [spjon25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My advice would be to find a closer parking spot than the Marriott in Del Amo, unless you seriously require valet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Putting 1500 people on the same 5 mile course is just dumb, and all within what 40 mins of each other? Yawn

5 miles = 26,400 feet. So each of the 1500 racers gets 17.6 linear feet of road.

I'm picturing a legally pace-lined loop, with a uniform 12 feet in front of each bike. Perfect! Maybe not.
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes it makes sense on paper.........3....2....1....reality

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No valet needed here. I just thought it was funny that what I posted was the RD's suggestion. Plus riding on Torrance Blvd with all the traffic after the race…no thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [spjon25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's plenty of neighborhood parking along Calle Mayor and adjoining streets, let me know if you need directions ( you may know the area)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may just pay and park at the pier if I race. My daughter has been having some rough nights lately so sleep has been hard to come by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like as reasonable a plan as there is. You could be closer in the neighborhoods but the pier is a flat 2 mile ride.

Good luck Sunday. I'll be out there cheering as part of my long run...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope someone will post a race report here after it's over.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lazy Ben wrote:
Yeah, now I think about it I probably would park at the pier and ride down if I was racing. At least your car wouldn't be hot when you got back to it.

It's going to cool down a little for the weekend by the looks of the forecast but still mid 70s. A 10% chance of rain which would just about guarantee mass carnage on the bike. All we would need on top of that would be 10 foot surf.

I remember the year they had 10 foot surf. Half of those people had no business even getting in the water.

I didn't think it was possible for them to move this thing to an area with worse parking than Venice.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by justarunner [ In reply to ]
Re: New LA Triathlon Oly course is going to be a beast.... [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race report anyone?? I did not race. Had a rough night with my daughter and was up at 1, 2:30 and 3:15...
Quote Reply

Prev Next