Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC
Quote | Reply
I was hoping someone with some knowledge of the area give me some advice on swimming while I am vacationing in Corolla, NC next week. This will be my first time in the Outer Banks, NC and obviously, I have swim workouts that I will need to complete. I will have a couple easy distance swims (thinking maybe open water or in the sound or a lap pool depending on weather) and a couple swim workouts (would like a lap pool). Are there some public pools that always have lap lanes for lap swimmers? Any indoor facilities? If I wanted to venture out into the open water, where are some good places to start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is 1 pool of that I know in nags head (probaly 4 miles south of wright bro memorial). Also 1 pool in manteo. Traffic in summer is a bitch at times, so lots of stop lights on main road. Not sure how far from corolla. I used to go just past jockey ridge and swim in sound. You had to walk probaly 1/4th of mile just to get in 3 feet of water though. That's where I swam 4 times a week. Just back and forth about 500 yards long stretch. Always sighted off the water tower for sighting practice.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both the Corolla Light and Sanderling resorts have small lap pools (3 or 4 lanes). I dunno if it's possible to pay to use them if you're not a guest. Swimming in the sound… I wouldn't do it, it can be extremely warm. The few times I've actually done swim workouts there, I just swam in the ocean. The currents often keep you from going too far from where you start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water in the sound near Corolla is pretty mucky and shallow--wouldn't really recommend swimming in there.

The ocean is usually pretty calm in the mornings though, and I've had a great time swimming out/back parallel to the beach, in the clean water past the breakers. Just figure out which way the current is moving and swim against it on the way out. The water temp is usually high 60s to low 70s, so you might want to pack a wetsuit just in case. The beach is pretty uniform along the whole coast, so there isn't really any one big landmark to swim out from; I would just pick the nearest lifeguard stand (they're about every 1/2 mile up/down the beach) and swim near them.

As an added safety measure, I usually sucker one of my relatives into kayaking near me while I'm ocean swimming. You never know when you'll cramp up, or get attacked by a dolphin...

Also, in case you plan on running on the beach, make sure you remember what your dune walkway looks like (they all look very similar). It's pretty embarrassing to tell your family that you got lost during an out/back run.

Which resort area are you staying in there? Any planned activities for the week?

---------

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obx tri group on Facebook , lots of good swimmers, there is a YMCA in nags head. A hotel with lap pool in manteo, Elizabethan inn. As far as up north on the obx you will have to see if they do weekly passes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in VA Beach, Surfed along the OBX, mostly Nags Head. And spent summer near Aurora, NC along the Pamilico. I swim with gators in florida, I OWS at night, I OWS in ocean of the gulf.

There is NO WAY IN HELL, I would swim in either of those sounds from the OBX side. I would be hesitant from the mainland to, but I know people do that.

Brackish, murky water surrounded by marsh and tall grasses is a feeding ground for bull sharks, and then there are the snakes.

Now as for swimming in the open ocean, I used to surf there because the waves were bigger, and because we locals didn't surf va beach. But we avoided going out too far out of because it was well know that Great Whites and Hammer Heads could be found not too far beyond the pier end. Bull Sharks will get you in 2 feet of water. But if you are a betting man on statistics, that is safer than the sound.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there next week as well.
There is a community pool in Pine Island that renters can use.
Talk to your rental agency, they should have info on whether you'll have access to it.
Hope you have a relaxing vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [Roof Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Duck next week, just south of Corolla. Maybe we'll see each other on the roads.

Ditto what everyone else said. I typically take the week off swimming unless there is a calm day then I'll swim in the ocean. But I mean calm as in I can swim within 20 feet of the beach. I'm sure we're all good swimmers but I never underestimate that surf. And yes, I get creeped out thinking about sharks even though I'll spend hours playing in it without thinking about it.

I've swum in the sound for other reasons (jet skiing, etc.) but refuse to train there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring your wetsuit. Depending on the wind direction, the ocean can be a comfortable 72 or a freezing 50. I was in Duck the last week of May this year and when the wind blows out of the W, SW, the ocean gets cold due to the upwelling. We saw a 20 degree change in ocean temps from one day to the next due to the wind.

Here is the NOAA webpage for water temps: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/...51370&interval=6
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [sontag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about having one of my family members kayak along side of me too.
We rented a house in Corolla (Whalehead area or something like that). I will ask the rental company about access to pools. I know the house has a small pool, but i am not about to take 4-5 strokes and turn each time. haha
I am not sure what activities we have planned, I know we are thinking about doing a Stand up paddle board tour or something like that. I was thinking about taking hang gliding lessons, but due to some new races that are on my schedule, I may be trying to save some money. I will be out running and riding throughout the week. Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will definitely be on the roads running and riding. I have heard so many good things about Duck (Duck Donuts and Blue Pointe restaurant), so I will be spending time in Duck. I will be on a Red, White, and Black Speed Concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have spent a family vacation in Duck/Sanderling area for the last 13 years. I have fitness swam in the following three areas:

1. Pea Island Rec pool - nice pool hardly used, generally has 3 lanes open for lap swimming and more during off hours. House rental needs to be a member, but the life guards are pretty relaxed. One year when the Sanderling pool which our house had privileges to was under repair we were allowed us to use the Pea Island pool. Swam in it a couple of other years in the early open hours and I think they did not even charge me half the time.

2. Sanderling community pool - similar to Pea Island but only one lane open for lap swimming. I really think this pool is short of 25 yards per length but not too much likely 22-23 yards.

3. Pamlico Sound at Sunset Grill - there is a dredged area of the sound that boat rentals use. I have biked there and swam early in the am before the boat rental opens. This is in the southside of duck and you will probably pass by it just as you enter Duck when you are driving up route 12.

I have seen and actually caught sharks while kayak fishing in the ocean in duck. I have also fished and kayaked in the sound extensively and never seen or heard of sharks in the sound. Agree that the sound other than the dredged area would not work well for swimming. Ocean temps will fluctuate greatly with the winds as the previous poster mentioned. The depth of the sound water will also fluctuate greatly with the wind.

Biking is hit and miss based on traffic. If you can leave early sunrise is around 5:15 so you can get a decent ride in before the most of the tourists get driving. Do not plan on biking on Saturday when most of the rentals flip. Route 12 is a mess on Saturday early heading south and in the afternoon heading north. It is also crowded on Sunday but not as bad as Saturday.

Have a great vacation, we are going down July 13 - 20th. If anyone is else will be please let me know.

Best,
GS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My OBX family members use the YMCA in Nags Head.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [greenjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beware the rip tides, nearly drowned because I got caught in one as a preteen. Also there are sharks out there, stay near a certified swim area
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems a good thread to bump given all the swim related shark attacks of late.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Also there are sharks out there, stay near a certified swim area

It's cool that the sharks know where the certified swim areas are and will leave those humans alone! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Brindley Corolla Light fitness center. Been there many times. Bring your own shampoo and towel.
Just make sure that when you check in with the rental place that they give you the colored wrist bands that allow entry. It's a nice pool, 25y X 6 lanes with a hot tub.

Have fun.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
Richard Brindley Corolla Light fitness center.
I just got back today from a week down there. Years past, I have loved doing the ocean swims, but this year it wasn't happening. Even if I got over my own willies (yes, I admit it, I was a bit...unsettled), my family was not having it. Reading the posts about the sound had me thinking I wasn't doing any swims. This fitness center was great. I was not staying in Corolla Light, but they let you in as a guest for $15. By comparison, the gym at Pine Island Tennis (no pool) is $20. They ask that you call before you go because priority goes to the actual guests, but I went at 2PM, and I was the only guy swimming most of the time. Nice pool, cool and clear, big hot tub. So-so locker room. Kind of a dated place, but it worked great for my needs. I am going back in August, and I will probably use it again.

On a related note: riding on the road down there kind of sucks. The shoulders narrow, and it seems like there is nothing but massive SUVs with people texting constantly. Between the top of Corolla Light and the Food Lion is a development called Whalehead Beach. It has three parallel streets running North/South. My guess is about 3 miles or so top to bottom. The back two have almost zero traffic. They are great for repeats/TTs/ or just cruising car free. One or two stop signs and a few bumps in the road, but a nice break from the main road. If you are farther south, I like to cut off of the main road once below Duck to Sea Oats and Dogwood Trail. Again, no traffic and even some much appreciated shade. You can take Dogwood down to the bypass by the foot of the bridge, and then once you cross the bypass, it is a nice, peaceful ride with a state park, etc...

I did a lot of running on the beach at low tide in the AM. It's like a 10K out there, tons of people; nice, wide, flat, hard sand. And COOL. It gets really damn hot midday, and we never had a sea breeze.

Have a great time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in OBX this week and my coach prescribed a lot of ocean swimming. Did it today and the water was fine but definitely had visions of sharks out there. It's funny how the obx visitors swim guide lauds the sound as a great place to swim but is quick to almost discourage ocean swimming. I guess the safe bet is to just stay in the pool. I'm back in the ocean tomorrow though... close to the shoreline.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [polynice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Hatteras realty in Avon has a 25y lap pool in club hatteras. Prob lots of jellies in the sound this time of year and the Ocean is great if you can get over the fear and it is fairly calm. We usually go down in early spring and late fall to windsurf/train but mostly run and bike.
http://www.hatterasrealty.com/club_hatteras.htm
Last edited by: s.gentz: Aug 2, 15 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC [nickfresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickfresh wrote:
johnpostmd wrote:
Richard Brindley Corolla Light fitness center.
I just got back today from a week down there. Years past, I have loved doing the ocean swims, but this year it wasn't happening. Even if I got over my own willies (yes, I admit it, I was a bit...unsettled), my family was not having it. Reading the posts about the sound had me thinking I wasn't doing any swims. This fitness center was great. I was not staying in Corolla Light, but they let you in as a guest for $15. By comparison, the gym at Pine Island Tennis (no pool) is $20. They ask that you call before you go because priority goes to the actual guests, but I went at 2PM, and I was the only guy swimming most of the time. Nice pool, cool and clear, big hot tub. So-so locker room. Kind of a dated place, but it worked great for my needs. I am going back in August, and I will probably use it again.

On a related note: riding on the road down there kind of sucks. The shoulders narrow, and it seems like there is nothing but massive SUVs with people texting constantly. Between the top of Corolla Light and the Food Lion is a development called Whalehead Beach. It has three parallel streets running North/South. My guess is about 3 miles or so top to bottom. The back two have almost zero traffic. They are great for repeats/TTs/ or just cruising car free. One or two stop signs and a few bumps in the road, but a nice break from the main road. If you are farther south, I like to cut off of the main road once below Duck to Sea Oats and Dogwood Trail. Again, no traffic and even some much appreciated shade. You can take Dogwood down to the bypass by the foot of the bridge, and then once you cross the bypass, it is a nice, peaceful ride with a state park, etc...

I did a lot of running on the beach at low tide in the AM. It's like a 10K out there, tons of people; nice, wide, flat, hard sand. And COOL. It gets really damn hot midday, and we never had a sea breeze.

Have a great time.

My family started vacationing down there in '81 or so, when it wasn't so insane and before the rest of the world knew about the OBX. Makes me sad, actually, how overdeveloped it became - and how quickly it changed. We even had a house in Corolla for a while. I would be extremely cautious about riding down there at all. My recollection is that shoulders were fairly non-existent and traffic was always bad.

Glad to see you found a fitness place that was useful!
Quote Reply