Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strokemakers hands down. I use #2 & #3. I suggest #2 for most males here.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Speedo Power paddles, they are pretty much strokemasters and I love them. Very simple design and does the work very well. I have a pair of speedo biofuse paddles, they are junk in comparison. Hurt my fingers and flinch more.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My assumption is that he doesn't rotate that far when he swims and it is more of a photo-shoot shot than an actual swim shot. If I am in the same position as he is, my elbow would look/be below my hand as well. He's pretty much doing a kick on his side drill and the elbow almost always looks to be below the hand in that. I'd also suggest that most swimmers rotate more on about a 45 degree angle off of the vertical (related to the bottom of the pool) as opposed to being on the vertical (perpendicular to the bottom) like the guy pictured.

Since Roka doesn't have paddles, we use either the Finis Agility or the TYR Catalyst. In the Finis it's either a size 2 or 3 (2 dots or 3 dots I think medium or large). In the Catalysts it is generally the yellow. The Finis agility seem to promote more of a 'continuous' stroke with fewer pauses. As one poster mentioned before keeping them on your hand almost necessitates this type of stroke.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
My assumption is that he doesn't rotate that far when he swims and it is more of a photo-shoot shot than an actual swim shot. If I am in the same position as he is, my elbow would look/be below my hand as well. He's pretty much doing a kick on his side drill and the elbow almost always looks to be below the hand in that. I'd also suggest that most swimmers rotate more on about a 45 degree angle off of the vertical (related to the bottom of the pool) as opposed to being on the vertical (perpendicular to the bottom) like the guy pictured.

Since Roka doesn't have paddles, we use either the Finis Agility or the TYR Catalyst. In the Finis it's either a size 2 or 3 (2 dots or 3 dots I think medium or large). In the Catalysts it is generally the yellow. The Finis agility seem to promote more of a 'continuous' stroke with fewer pauses. As one poster mentioned before keeping them on your hand almost necessitates this type of stroke.

Brandon, I noticed that after using the Finis agility I seem to get in the habit of pulling with "thumb in" as opposed to "thumb out". I believe you want to pull with thumb out as seen in this Grant Hacket Video where he enters with his thumb touching his forefinger, but then spreads the thumb out to maximize his "webbing" and pulling with a large paddle. What is you view on thumb touching forefinger (in) vs~90 degrees out?

Watch his right thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvtuHya40g

I feel like I am swimming faster "thumb out" (the word faster being entirely relative to my speed, not faster relative to proper swimmers).
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theoretically, it's fastest to swim with your fingers "slightly" spread out. In reality, no difference at all, as long as you aren't squeezing your fingers together (and even then the effect of the surface area isn;t all that much) and are keeping your palm flat.

what's more important is that you are relaxed. if you are more relaxed with your thumb out, then do that. if not, then keep your thumb wherever it is most comfortable.

don't go by what you "feel" is faster, go by the clock. the clock tells you what is, not what it feels like.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re thumb position - ian thorpe. looks to me like he keeps his thumb in (not touching, but not hitchhiking either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b1Fiw9uekM

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Jason said.

Me, I noticed a few years ago that depending on how I held my thumb, fewer bubbles would stick to my hand. For me it ended up being thumb next to my forefinger but not touching and not with the tip angled up. Yeah, I'm a dork like that. In fact if my thumb was pointed a bit up when compared to the rest of my fingers, one little bubble would catch a free ride just behind my thumbnail. Dork.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [wachman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Here is another toy from Finis that use when I do drills - the forarm fulcrum

Were you able to use the Forarm Fulcrum straightaway with no issue or did it take some time to be able to swim with them? I tried them for a bit but they constantly fell off. I am sure this is the purpose as when used with the correct catch technique they would not fall off. I ended up giving up on them because I really had no way of knowing what I needed to correct to fix the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Finis freestyle paddles. I like them a lot. They have a single loop that goes over your middle finger.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [songmak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They can be tricky to use when starting out. I coach a small group of triathletes and have had some of them try these out and they had a similar experience. With some practice they were able to start using these.

First make sure you have them on correctly. I've encountered several people using them upside down. - Correct usage Below:

When you swim with the these, apply slight upward pressure with your fingers. Like you are flexing your fingers back. The biggest thing to remember with these is to keep your wrist straight. You need to focus on keeping your forearm, wrist, and hand in alignment. Bending or "Breaking" your wrist will cause them to fall off.

I would start using these as a warm up drill and only do a 25 at a time. Focus on good form. If they fall off, regroup at the end of the length and try again. If you are used to bending your wrist when you swim, this new hand and forearm position is going to feel very awkward. This position will also force you to use different muscles during your pull.

Good luck with it. It will take some time for it to feel natural to pull like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:

Another vote for Strokemakers. I use #4 Blue.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

I like the Strokemakers also but, being just a tad slower than you and Bo, I stick with the yellow #2 size. In particular, I like using them on backstroke as my back catch is not as grooved/strong as my free.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian, would I be a #2 on Stokemakers?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The masters group I swim with requires Finis Agility paddle and Speedo Biofuse fin or nothing at all for gear sets. Once you get the hang of it not all that much different. Nice not having to deal with slipping straps and slow put on/take off.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
tjfry wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

I like the Strokemakers also but, being just a tad slower than you and Bo, I stick with the yellow #2 size. In particular, I like using them on backstroke as my back catch is not as grooved/strong as my free.

If you use paddles with other strokes, you should try the Speedo IM Tech paddles sometime. I wasn't a believer until I tried em. You could really work the stroke and they didn't drive your pull in odd directions.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
tjfry wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

If you use paddles with other strokes, you should try the Speedo IM Tech paddles sometime. I wasn't a believer until I tried em. You could really work the stroke and they didn't drive your pull in odd directions.

Thanks, I'll check them out next time i go to my local swim shop. I like the Strokemakers for free and back but it feels feel pretty weird trying to swim breast or fly with them, prob cause they are pretty big:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone here has some yellow Strokemakers that aren't cutting their mustard any longer I have a pair of Zoomers Gold in size F 9-10 I'd swap for 'em. Tried some of these recently and have a case of the 'likes'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
tjfry wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

I think Santa might be bringing me a pair of IM Tech paddles for Christmas :-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm planing to use it to hopefully polish up my catch and pull.

I use the cheap small Sporti ones from Swimoutlet and they work great. I only loop through the middle finger - not the wrist. If you have issues with a cross over, the finis freestyler paddles force your hand to enter straight so that is an another option.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a hand paddle for freestyle [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
I could not be happier with these. I love them.
Speedo Contoured Swim Paddles

I agree, smallest size to just barely cover your hand & I used the middle loop over the middle finger only.

Quote Reply

Prev Next