Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the road/trail shoe of choice these days?
Quote | Reply
I need a new road/trail shoe after a few years on my Inov8s and I kinda want to try something new.

So, what's out there that's good for those trail runs where I'm running 1-2 miles of road to the trail? I've done the last thousand or so miles in a pair of flite 195s, and they were fine, but I just want a little change.

Trails are mostly hard packed dirt and rocks, I have some shoes for wet muddy trails/grass, so I'm not looking for that sort.

I live in Chicago where trails are nonexistent but signed up for a 50K trail race last year. Went through a few different shoes and settled on the Brooks Pure Grit. Decent cushioning without being too bulky (although bulkier than what I'm used to) and performed really well during my 20+ mile training runs in the road. They were also great during the actual trail race with good grip on the rocks and gravel.

Ended up using them all winter to run in the snow and were great in ice and keeping my feet dry.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the road/trail shoe of choice these days? [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm picking up a pair of the Altra Superior 1.5's soon. I've got the Lone Peak 1.5's as well. If you are in or close to a zero drop shoe, I like both of these a lot.

http://www.altrarunning.com/...Men/superior-15-mens
Quote Reply
Re: What's the road/trail shoe of choice these days? [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you running in for a road shoe now? If they work for you, try to find something that functions/fits/supports in a similar way. I probably run about 75% on trails of all kinds and have had much better luck sticking with my road shoes that have good traction and less EVA exposed to the ground. I do have some "heavy-duty" trail shoes if I end up running a scramble course with lots of boulders and rocks though.
Quote Reply