Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have comparisons of the Evade/Air Attack vs regular road helmets
Quote | Reply
A local stage race has forbid the usage of time trial helmets (though i intend on fighting this and escalating up if necessary); however, Evade and Air Attack helmets are allowed. If i were to use a road helmet (say old S-works or my Kask K50), how much am I giving up at 22-23 mph for 20 minutes? Would this be equivalent to 5-6 watts of saving and about 20-25 seconds? I would guess the savings at 30 mph would be close to 80-100 gram, but i'd like to see if someone knows for sure
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have comparisons of the Evade/Air Attack vs regular road helmets [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were going to wear a TT helmet in a stage race...

I think the gerneral thought here is that IF the helmet works for you its around 5-10w but its a big IF
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have comparisons of the Evade/Air Attack vs regular road helmets [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't overlook the LG Course. Not exactly an answer to your question, but worth checking out. Close to the Evade, claimed better than Air Attack and pretty much a normal road helmet look. See green helmet in the GIF above.

USAT Level 1 Coach
redrockmultisport@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have comparisons of the Evade/Air Attack vs regular road helmets [Mtneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mtneer wrote:
Don't overlook the LG Course. Not exactly an answer to your question, but worth checking out. Close to the Evade, claimed better than Air Attack and pretty much a normal road helmet look. See green helmet in the GIF above.

And cheap, too.....on sale @ Competitive Cyclist for $119 right now.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...3Omdhcm5ldSBjb3Vyc2U

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my wind tunnel data my CdA was .210 with either my Selector or the Specialized McLaren TT helmet. With the Evade it was .219. I didn't do a run with a road helmet, but that seems pretty close to me and that's what I'd use in your situation. Basically 12 watts more drag for the Evade at 30mph.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have comparisons of the Evade/Air Attack vs regular road helmets [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Mtneer wrote:

And cheap, too.....on sale @ Competitive Cyclist for $119 right now.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...3Omdhcm5ldSBjb3Vyc2U

Not to hijack the thread but I'm looking for a new helmet and have raced with just my road helmet in the past but I do tape up some of the vents for A races - I know I'm cheap. I'll be racing in Kona this year and I'm more concerned with heat management than the best aero helmet. Looks like the LG Course would be a good option between aero and heat..
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have comparisons of the Evade/Air Attack vs regular road helmets [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks to all for the suggestions. it looks like the difference would be about 5 watts or so at 24mph (somewhat hilly TT). For the duration i'm doing, perhaps 10-15 seconds. It's certainly more than i'd like to give up, but not end of the world all things considered.
Quote Reply