Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Caught about 90ish miles up the coast from Panama City Beach:

Where did you see that?

We know it was in the panhandle, but last I read:

Polk said he didn't want to scare off beachgoing tourists — the trio has not released the exact location of the catch.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
This story will make me swim a bit faster this year.

Ha! And it has me rethinking my idea of starting out on the far right. Maybe being in the washing machine isn't so bad.

+1

Damn, far right was my plan too, but I just HAD to click this thread.

Want. To. Unsee.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
Quote:
Caught about 90ish miles up the coast from Panama City Beach:

Where did you see that?

We know it was in the panhandle, but last I read:

Polk said he didn't want to scare off beachgoing tourists — the trio has not released the exact location of the catch.

Reading comprehension. He left his house at night in Milton, Fl. to go fishing that night. That would be ~90ish miles from IMFL depending on how you measure, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many sport fish that are caught are wasted or just mounted on some guy's wall.

99.99% of the time when you "mount" a saltwater fish, you are not actually mounting any part of the actual fish. It is just an artist recreation taken from a mold. Just an FYI
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing how the fight goes out of an animal when it has had a hook pulled through it's face for somebodys' kicks.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [helterFELTer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helterFELTer wrote:
Many sport fish that are caught are wasted or just mounted on some guy's wall.

99.99% of the time when you "mount" a saltwater fish, you are not actually mounting any part of the actual fish. It is just an artist recreation taken from a mold. Just an FYI

Good to know. Because 100% of the freshwater fish that I have seen mounted were the actual fish carcass on a piece of wood. But I'm definitely no expert on fish taxidermery. But I do know that the situation for sharks worldwide is pretty f*cked up. And we kinda need them.

Check out sharkwater, hd trailer is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5fObF_CCYc

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 24, 14 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Amazing how the fight goes out of an animal when it has had a hook pulled through it's face for somebodys' kicks.

Oh please.....spare me. We weren't fishing for sharks, we were fishing for grouper. I can't help the fact that this hammerhead decided to do what they do.....

And the "fight went out of him" because of how it was being held, not because of the hook.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
travisml wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
CPA_PFS wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

That's a sad picture.

it is a massive and magnificent animal ... doesn't belong dead in some guy's pick-up truck

Disagree. They fed hundreds of people with it. That honors it's life. It wasn't wasted. Most of us, including me, eat magnificent animals daily. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb, fish.

If it was actually eaten, that's a big improvement. Many sport fish that are caught are wasted or just mounted on some guy's wall.

Another thing to consider is that there are fewer and fewer sharks, not sure about this species, but the oceans in general are in pretty serious trouble. Also, not sure how shark tastes (never had it), but given that they are a top of the food chain predator, it seems like their meat would not be the best to eat. Kind of like eating a cat or another meat eater. Have you tried shark?

The couple of times I've had shark steak it was delicious. Very white meat with very little to no fat. I can't say for certain that what I had was Mako and I also don't know if the taste varies amongst the different sharks.

trav

A few years ago we went deep sea fishing off Sanibel island. I caught a hammerhead (see below) and my BIL caught a couple of Spinner (black tip) sharks. The HH went back into the water but we kept the Spinners. The guides fileted them for us and we grilled them up that night.

Unbelievably delicious....light, flaky white meat. HH apparently aren't good for eating.

Excerpt from article:
http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/5828/20140130/hammerhead-sharks-vulnerable-death-catch-release-fishing-video.htm wrote:
According to the researchers, "even with minimal degrees of fighting on a fishing line, hammerheads exhibited the highest levels of lactic acid build of all species studied, followed by blacktip, bull, lemon and tiger sharks."
The satellite tags revealed that after release, hammerheads were more likely to die than the other shark species studied.
"Our results show that while some species, like tiger sharks, can sustain and even recover from minimal catch and release fishing, other sharks, such as hammerheads are more sensitive" said lead study author Austin Gallagher, a PhD candidate at University of Miami. "Our study also revealed that just because a shark swims away after it is released, doesn't mean that it will survive the encounter. This has serious conservation implications because those fragile species might need to be managed separately, especially if we are striving for sustainability in catch and release fishing and even in bycatch scenarios.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See above...we weren't intentionally fishing for hammerheads.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
This story will make me swim a bit faster this year.

I don't understand- since when did the ocean get sharks? Are sharks swimming in the ocean a recent phenomenon?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
CPA_PFS wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

That's a sad picture.

it is a massive and magnificent animal ... doesn't belong dead in some guy's pick-up truck

Disagree. They fed hundreds of people with it. That honors it's life. It wasn't wasted. Most of us, including me, eat magnificent animals daily. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb, fish.

If it was actually eaten, that's a big improvement. Many sport fish that are caught are wasted or just mounted on some guy's wall.

Another thing to consider is that there are fewer and fewer sharks, not sure about this species, but the oceans in general are in pretty serious trouble. Also, not sure how shark tastes (never had it), but given that they are a top of the food chain predator, it seems like their meat would not be the best to eat. Kind of like eating a cat or another meat eater. Have you tried shark?

Very, very few people pay to mount an actual fish there days. Typically a model is made from the dimensions of the fish.

Of course it was "actually eaten". Mako is fantastic and perfectly legal to catch. Nearly every food fish we buy is somewhere up the food chain including tuna and swordfish.

In this case, they are typically catch-release fisherman but the fish was nearly dead when they tried to release it. They didn't really want the publicity and wouldn't have had it if not for being low on fuel because they didn't want to hear all the flack about killing the shark despite it being perfectly legal.

Just remember that every can of tuna you buy in the store, or every time you order flounder or shrimp when out at dinner, that your meal is killing millions of pounds of "by-catch". By-catch is all the other non-target species of fish, crabs, and sea life that comes up in commercial nets used to catch a commercial species. Virtually all of this "by-catch" dies and is tossed back in the ocean. I'll gladly take one individual fish killed by a couple of sport fisherman vs. the tremendous waste of life that is most commercial fishing operations.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
Just remember that every can of tuna you buy in the store, or every time you order flounder or shrimp when out at dinner, that your meal is killing millions of pounds of "by-catch". By-catch is all the other non-target species of fish, crabs, and sea life that comes up in commercial nets used to catch a commercial species. Virtually all of this "by-catch" dies and is tossed back in the ocean. I'll gladly take one individual fish killed by a couple of sport fisherman vs. the tremendous waste of life that is most commercial fishing operations.

Totally agree with you. Even though I like the taste, I don't ever buy or eat any of that fish/seafood for exactly those reasons.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

-----------

While yes I agree with the concept of by-catch, I would disagree on the mortality rate you describe. However if you base this on govt. reports, they by default almost always report by catch as released dead.

(I was a former govt employee who did stock assessment on about 30 species in the atlantic and gulf coast in my former career; spent nearly 1000 sea days working with and on commercial vessels doing research on this very issue).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Apr 24, 14 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you buy a can of Tuna in the store it is often not even tuna!

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:

-----------

While yes I agree with the concept of by-catch, I would disagree on the mortality rate you describe. However if you base this on govt. reports, they by default almost always report by catch as released dead.

(I was a former govt employee who did stock assessment on about 30 species in the atlantic and gulf coast in my former career; spent nearly 1000 sea days working with and on commercial vessels doing research on this very issue).

I don't have your experience but I've spent enough time following along and fishing in the wake of commercial boats (especially shrimpers). It seems like the vast majority that goes over the side is dead. Certainly the buckets full we got from them to use as bait was all dead.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes shrimpers have bad by catch rates, but they also are doing more and more things with reducing by-catch. Atleast with the mortality rates of sea turtles, technology as improved. I think commercial fisherman get a bad name because they mostly do in fact want to conserve/protect the ocean (it is there livelihood afterall). But there are areas where yes some species die off very quickly and in very large quantities.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

This is true. I worked briefly on a shrimp boat in Prince Williams Sound in AK. It was a small trawler (a boat that has a net you drag along just above the ocean floor) and we'd catch a ton of things other than shrimp. Some seemed likely to survive like Halibut and Cod, but others like Red Snapper, flounder, octopus, squid and other assorted creatures would definitely not.

I'll never forget how our captain, who was a royal ass, hoisted up an 8 foot Salmon shark we caught (which definitely would have survived), cut off the tail and pushed it overboard to die slowly. Kind of lost my taste for shrimp after that.

blog: transitionfour.com
twitter: @tritweeter
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [transitionfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of opinions, not nearly enough action. If you're really concerned about sharks, by catch, overfishing, pollutants, etc... take action, get involved, decide not to eat any seafood, shark, shrimp, snapper, tuna. And for anyone who thinks shark populations of any species aren't in severe decline and in desperate need for protection, do some research.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
800 lbs, I can not imagine how it would be able to do well on the run. Have to drop a few hundred pounds to qualify for Kona. Would have a hell of a fast swim split though.

Yeah, but the swim is only 10% of the race. Will the dorsal fin make it more aero on the bike?
Quote Reply

Prev Next