Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LYC to Garmin 500 power drop
Quote | Reply
I switched from LYC to Garmin 500 and now my power is aprox 20 watts lower. The Garmin keeps asking do you want to calibrate every time I ride - is this normal?
Quote Reply
Re: LYC to Garmin 500 power drop [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the standard question for this is: does the garmin include zeros in avg and the LYC not include zeros? in your settings

that is all I have
Quote Reply
Re: LYC to Garmin 500 power drop [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to sound dumb but with the LYC I could change my setting via poweragent that came with the PT. with the Garrmin I use training peaks device agent and that doesn't allow me to change setting so I assume I change the settings within the Garmin? If so, I cant seem to find where to change the calculation settings for average power
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it is normal to ask to calibrate the PM.
Whether to include zeroes or not is a setting on the Garmin itself. You need to scroll through the settings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you do upload your data to a PC correct? are the numbers different there, or just on your screen as you ride along. both LYC and Garmin have the settings within the device to set to include zeros or not. as other poster said, you just have to scroll through them until you find them. not saying that is your issue, just a good thing to check in either case
Quote Reply
Re: LYC to Garmin 500 power drop [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it. Somehow on the device it got set to include zeros. The default is no zeros. I blame it on my wife:) I don't ride with power or use a Garmin 500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in general , you want to include zeros, otherwise you are using imaginary avg power. ie coasting should drop your avg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Got it. Somehow on the device it got set to include zeros. The default is no zeros. I blame it on my wife:) I don't ride with power or use a Garmin 500.

Don't change this!
Quote Reply
Re: LYC to Garmin 500 power drop [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
summitt wrote:

Don't change this!

What? leave it to include zeros or exclude? She has always set it to exclude the zeros. We live on top of a hill and its probably 4 miles downhill at the start of the ride. Given how hilly it is, she probably spends more time coasting than the average flatlander.

She's ridden by power for several years and I think at this point its probably important for her to remain consistent with how she uses her power. So I think I'll keep set to exclude the zeros. She uses the power meter more for pacing and doing longer intervals. She does a lot of the same long loops, so she wants to keep her average power readings fairly consistent between the old LYC and the new Garmin 500 that I just put on her bike.

IMTX is in a few weeks so I don't need her freaking out by a change in her power numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so long as you realize that the avg power for the length of ride is nowhere near correct, do what you will. when you download the data, it should include the zeros automatically. ie the head unit and training software will have different values
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
summitt wrote:

Don't change this!

What? leave it to include zeros or exclude? She has always set it to exclude the zeros. We live on top of a hill and its probably 4 miles downhill at the start of the ride. Given how hilly it is, she probably spends more time coasting than the average flatlander.

She's ridden by power for several years and I think at this point its probably important for her to remain consistent with how she uses her power. So I think I'll keep set to exclude the zeros. She uses the power meter more for pacing and doing longer intervals. She does a lot of the same long loops, so she wants to keep her average power readings fairly consistent between the old LYC and the new Garmin 500 that I just put on her bike.

IMTX is in a few weeks so I don't need her freaking out by a change in her power numbers.

Getting rid of zeros is discarding a very important element of your data collection. No matter how it's been done in the past, it's never too late to fix something that's broken.
Quote Reply
Re: LYC to Garmin 500 power drop [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
summitt wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
summitt wrote:

Don't change this!

Getting rid of zeros is discarding a very important element of your data collection. No matter how it's been done in the past, it's never too late to fix something that's broken.

You don't know my wife! I'm leaving it alone until after IMTX.
Quote Reply