Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tires for racing
Quote | Reply
I have looked at most of the old threads about tires. I am just trying to boil it all down to one list of suggestions. Please, no back and forth about what tire is the best. Are these ideas all true?
Aero advantage is only gained on the front tire. Than why put on a new rear tire?
Tires need to be broken in. Brand new tires are slower?
If tires need to be broken in, how many miles on a tire before it's no longer optimum for racing?
Do fast cyclists have stacks of "old" 500 mile racing tires?
Is this all like worrying about whether or not to tuck in your bta straw to become more aero? (Which I will be doing)
Quote Reply
Re: Tires for racing [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolling resistance is also a huge factor in tire choice. Probably a bigger one than aero.

As far as "breaking in" goes. I just make sure I've got two or three rides on a new set of race tires before I race on them. After that, I just save that set for race day.

When tires start looking a bit square I'll retire them from being race tires. How long that takes varies widely depending on the kind of racing you're doing and the tires involved. For training I ride tires until they physically start falling apart.

Choosing a good tire (and tubes) is an important decisions that is worth some research. Worrying about breaking them in and when exactly to retire them... less so.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires for racing [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I am running Conti GP4000S with latex tubes and a little Stans in them. I'm just trying to figure it all out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're on the right track.

As far as the "stacks" of old racing tires...most people would just start using them for training when they're demoted from race status.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't go wrong with Conti's. Carl Spackler got me going with 25 mm. All season's for training; 4000s for racing. If they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me. So far, I love them.
Marty
Quote Reply