Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this an aero brake?
Quote | Reply
So under-BB brakes are getting more common. Many, like those on the Cervelo P4 and Trek Speed Concepts, have been highly integrated into the chainstays, and there is little doubt that those would give you a net aero gain vs mounting a brake conventionally up high. But I wonder what the data says about a brake like this? Air still has to pass around the BB shell, and this brake is right in that flow path. At least a conventionally mounted brake can 'draft' off the rear of the seat tube and seatstays. Has anyone ever done any testing to show a brake mounted like this (below) is actually more aerodynamic? Seems hard to imagine that it would be.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 18, 14 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: Is this an aero brake? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well wind speeds are a little lower down there, so that helps =)

But yeah, I'd rather go for a seat-stay hidden brake like the p3 if it isn't going to be a proper fully hidden one down by the bb.

Because it is a lot of hassle being down there, so it better be Aero-As-Shit (TM) if it is down there.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But...if I can't see it from above, it MUST be aero, no? :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is this an aero brake? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The team mechanic can't reach it from the car, so for sure, it's aero.
;-)

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there is this: http://www.aeroweenie.com/...elt/2014-Felt-AR.pdf

Not a direct comparison, but felt did test their bike with it installed. I personally really hate the setup they went with. Before I switched to Di2 it was a pain in the ass adjusting when I went from my stingers to my r-sys.

Now, maybe the trade off of it not being aero is made up for by compliance and aero gained at the seat stay junction?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Is this an aero brake? [Stalkan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I looked at that, but the felt AR was also tested with and without a felt proprietary front brake. Teasing out the data for the aero advantage or the aero disadvantage of the rear direct mount shimano brake (same brake that I pictured in my first post) seems impossible from that white paper

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a chance that the airflow behind the BB is already destroyed by the pedaling action anyway?

As it has already been mentioned, that is a pain in the arse spot to stick a brake.. it had better be aero for all the aggravation it would cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this an aero brake? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
Is there a chance that the airflow behind the BB is already destroyed by the pedaling action anyway?

Might be.

But hard not to also imagine that the airflow coming up on a conventionally mounted rear brake isn't already 'destroyed' by going around a spinning front wheel, the frame head tube, the seat tube, the seat stay junction, around two pedaling thighs, etc.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:

As it has already been mentioned, that is a pain in the arse spot to stick a brake.. it had better be aero for all the aggravation it would cause.

Not on the bike as pictured. It does not have pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this an aero brake? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
JayZ wrote:

Not on the bike as pictured. It does not have pedals.

True. Just imagine how much faster our bikes would be without pedals. #innovation!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:

You guys work on your rear brakes a lot.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Is this an aero brake? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every race I've got to switch out my regular pads for my cork pads, and it's a serious PITA unbolting the pad on the drive side.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this an aero brake? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
The team mechanic can't reach it from the car, so for sure, it's aero.
;-)

I guess he'll have to find another sticky part to work on.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Is this an aero brake? [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Andy,

You are sooo right.

In 2010, Cervelo TestTeam neopro Joao Correia crashed in a race in Holland. As Joao watched the peloton speed down the road, Sander, the mechanic, quickly checked the wheels and said "get on the bike."

Joao asked Sander to check the brakes too, but Sander simply answered, "get on the bike."

"Come on Sander, check the brakes, I don't want to chase back to the group with the brakes rubbing!"

Sander said "get on the bike, Joao." Pissed at Sander, Joao got on the bike, Sander pushed him off and he and started chasing the peloton.

A kilometer or two later, the team car pulled alongside Joao. Sander leaned out the window and said "NOW we check the brakes."

After several kilometers checking the brakes at high speed, Sander determined they were okay and Joao made it back into the peloton. ;-)

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply