Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NOVA Tri scene
Quote | Reply
I expect to transfer back to the D.C./Northern Virginia area early next year. Can anyone give me the low down on the triathlon/cycling scene there? Specifically, good multisport (or single sport) stores, clubs, can't miss races, taining venues, good pools and open water swim spots, etc. I can use the google machine, but I'm looking for a little personal perspective. I'll be working in Tysons, but not sure where I'll be living. Probably NOVA, maybe Falls Church, Reston or Alexandria. Thanks!

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [dsheldo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not quite NOVA, but I frequently find myself heading up to Richmond from Va Beach area...lots of races in and around Richmond, especially compared to down here. I can't help too much with actual specifics of NOVA though, I try to stay away from there at all costs because I'm not a fan of driving 4 mph on the interstate

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty big tri scene up here. Tri360 and Freshbikes in Arlington, and Bonzai in falls church are all good shops.
Team Z, Team FeXY and DC TriClub are all very large clubs in the area.

The only thing we don't have is good OWS options. There is a summer Thursday night swim series at National Harbor that will run $25 a pop. Otherwise you are looking at a 90 minute or more drive.
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
Pretty big tri scene up here. Tri360 and Freshbikes in Arlington, and Bonzai in falls church are all good shops.

The only thing we don't have is good OWS options. There is a summer Thursday night swim series at National Harbor that will run $25 a pop. Otherwise you are looking at a 90 minute or more drive.

$25 to bask yourself in treated sewage? No thank you.

Riding here is kinda boring. Miles after miles of monotonous farmland. You'd be lucky to see a farm house to change things up once every 5 miles.

The Shenandoah National Park will become your friend. I go there about once every 6 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the neighborhood. Lots of races in the summer, check out Tricolumbia.org and Setup events. The old RR track that is the WO&D can get boring, but is convenient. Shenandoah Park to the west or Prince William Park to the south, or Poolesville, Md to the northwest are alternatives, but require driving up to an hour. Poor OWS options, but lots of pools and decent gyms/health clubs.
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [pablotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2
pablotri wrote:
Welcome to the neighborhood. Lots of races in the summer, check out Tricolumbia.org and Setup events. The old RR track that is the WO&D can get boring, but is convenient. Shenandoah Park to the west or Prince William Park to the south, or Poolesville, Md to the northwest are alternatives, but require driving up to an hour. Poor OWS options, but lots of pools and decent gyms/health clubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stores

tri360.com
http://tribonzai.com/
http://freshbikescycling.com/
http://revolutioncycles.com/

and many others.

Events
Savage Man!!!!!
Columbia Tri (oly)
Reston Oly
Eagleman 70.3
Last edited by: Katia: Dec 9, 13 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [pablotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pablotri wrote:

And dont forget about Beach Dr.

OWS

http://www.racinemultisports.com/...st_Fort_Ritchie.html
http://rehabtoracing.com/openwater.php (expensive!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Tysons for 18 months and practically did all of my rides on the W&OD Trail. The nice thing about the W&OD, from Tysons, is it only takes a few minutes to hit the trail. I had good success with Spokes Bike Shop in Vienna, which is basically off of the W&OD. They are all good folks. There is a nice 25 meter pool in Tysons at the Sport and Health Club (opens at 5:00 a.m.). The tri scene is strong in NOVA. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [mglash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mglash wrote:
I lived in Tysons for 18 months and practically did all of my rides on the W&OD Trail. The nice thing about the W&OD, from Tysons, is it only takes a few minutes to hit the trail. I had good success with Spokes Bike Shop in Vienna, which is basically off of the W&OD. They are all good folks. There is a nice 25 meter pool in Tysons at the Sport and Health Club (opens at 5:00 a.m.). The tri scene is strong in NOVA. Best of luck.

Spokes is perhaps the most friendly shop in the area. No pretension, no snobbery. I went to Spokes Vienna for my road bike fits and i'm headed in this weekend for my TT bike fit.
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great information, guys. As for boring riding, I'm coming from northwest Ohio. I am an expert on flat, windy farm land.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit further west, out in Manassas. There's some really good riding to be had heading out from Chantilly, out back towards the west. Mountain Road and Ridge Road are two of my favorite sufferfest areas. Found the trail system to be too crowded, personally, to get much more than a recreational spin in.

As for stores...*ahem* not to preview too much, but this is coming: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4306327#4306327

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
mglash wrote:

Spokes is perhaps the most friendly shop in the area. No pretension, no snobbery. I went to Spokes Vienna for my road bike fits and i'm headed in this weekend for my TT bike fit.

Nice to see Spokes getting some love.....I began my career three many years ago, managing the Alexandria shop.

Lived in McLean and the is good riding out into Great Falls.....but that was 20+ years ago, so dunno how bad traffic may be heading out Old Dominion anymore.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
echappist wrote:
mglash wrote:

Nice to see Spokes getting some love.....I began my career three many years ago, managing the Alexandria shop.

Lived in McLean and the is good riding out into Great Falls.....but that was 20+ years ago, so dunno how bad traffic may be heading out Old Dominion anymore.

Ah, good to know. I presume this is the shop on Quaker Lane? I also go to the Alexandria shop as it's quite a bit closer to me, usually for mechanical stuff. They also have really friendly staff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
MattAune wrote:

$25 to bask yourself in treated sewage? No thank you.

Riding here is kinda boring. Miles after miles of monotonous farmland. You'd be lucky to see a farm house to change things up once every 5 miles.

The Shenandoah National Park will become your friend. I go there about once every 6 weeks.

Actually, the riding here is pretty spectacular. Lots of rolling hills and even a few mountains once you get west of Ashburn. Not sure what there isn't to like about riding through the hills and farmlands of Middleburg, The Plains, and Waterford.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Power13 wrote:
echappist wrote:
mglash wrote:

Ah, good to know. I presume this is the shop on Quaker Lane? I also go to the Alexandria shop as it's quite a bit closer to me, usually for mechanical stuff. They also have really friendly staff.

Yup, that's the one! Managed it from 90-92.

Damn, I'm old!!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to maybe revive this thread a little. I will be moving to Fairfax, Va (near the Vienna metro stop) from Alabama for work. I literally know nobody and nothing about the rides/where to ride other than what I have read on ST. I was hoping some people could help me out to find some group rides and group runs (I think I found a masters group I can swim with). I will be moving up there mid May.

------------------------------------------------------------

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in your fruit salad...
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [jbruhn3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of the shops here in NOVA have group rides. Most of them post it on their website.

http://www.tri360.com/...group-rides-pg76.htm
http://www.performancebike.com/...08&storeId=10052 (scroll to bottom)
http://www.dcpaceline.com/nova.html (there's a good list, certainly not all that are out there)

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Re: NOVA Tri scene [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a big help! Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in your fruit salad...
Quote Reply