Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vitargo s2
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used this or something similar like Ucan superstarch to race with? Im looking for a product to keep a constant even energy unlike maltodextrin and avoid high sugar spikes when racing. It seems legit and I've heard of a few people racing like this but I wanted some more info. Also Both of these are pretty pricey aswell, hoping I can possibly mix up my own through truenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [Delmonsta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it a good product than those sugar rich one until I weaned myself to being vegan. I found a balance between what rich roll and vinnie tortorich would eat , so now I really need it. Mind u I am only racing up to 70.3 distance.

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also a vegetarian. So you had to switch your diet from vegan to use it properly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought some of this after reading some of the "research". It worked well from a CHO supply standpoint, but was very thick, clumpy, and barely choke down palatable at the solutions I needed. I used it twice on some long rides and the rest of the jug sits in my cabinet collecting dust.

use IREPINFINIT for 10% off at www.infinitnutrition.us

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't find the s2 by a quick search but I had a catalogue years ago and found out that there are just a few products from this company were without aspartame. Made me decide against it. Vegetarian greets.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was unaware of the aspartame. I wonder if Ucan is any better. They don't list the ingredients on the website which drives me nuts. I like to know what's in it before I buy/ingest something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never heard about ucan stuff over here but usually if you order online and got a problem with what you read on the ingredients list, just send it back.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use Vitargo on all rides over 2 hrs. I'm very sensative to the spikes that malto base drinks give me but never experience a spike with Vitargo. I've found that using a blender is the best way to mix it, otherwise it is almost impossible to keep it from clumping. Also, no stomach upset during intense rides, unlike sugary drinks. No stomach issues during the one HIM in which I used nothing but Vitargo until mile 7 of the run, then small sips of flat coke at each aid station.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you do no gels whatsoever? I'm working on getting pretty fat adapted so I can use vitargo. But I'm leaning more torwards Ucan since I know of some athletes who used it pretty successfully
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing but Vitargo. Also working on fat adaptation. Do most runs and all long rides in the a.m. prior to eating. Only use water for rides up to 2.5 hrs and runs up to 10 miles. Anything longer than that, I carry Vitargo only. Haven't used a gel or malto based drinks during training/racing in over one year. I've tried adding solid foods on 3 hr rides but found it upset my stomach. Tried UCan and my stomach did well but could not find a way to mix it. Even using a blender, I just didn't like the texture. I think both products are based on the same principle.

ETA: I know that both products are expensive but if you only use them on long runs/rides and keep your intake down to 120k/hr, they last a very long time.

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: bhc: Nov 2, 13 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried Ucan and recently got a free sample of Vitargo. I am definitely jumping on the Vitargo band wagon. Vitargo backs up its brand with numerous scientific studies but I still had many questions about how both Ucan and Vitargo work. I was not able to get any response back from the Ucan people but get this - Anthony Almada, the CEO at Vitargo, actually had an old-fashioned phone call with me to personally answer my questions. He was very helpful and sent me follow-up information. Less hype, more science. Try Vitargo. Oh, but be ready to take in far more calories per hour than you have in the past. With Vitargo, you can do this. And in a long race, more calories will make the difference in performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [C.A.T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on the Vitargo? I'm starting to use it too. Finding the energy flow to be weirdly even. You try unflavored yet?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mixed half flavored (orange) and half unflavored, for a more mild tasting drink. Also have been mixing Vitargo with protein powder as a breakfast smoothie. It seems to be working well for a pre-long run breakfast. The consistency of Vitargo is very different from UCan, but I still don't fully understand the difference between the two "super starches". However Vitargo still wins, hands-down, on customer responsiveness.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [C.A.T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little confused by it as well. It's energy release seems to be slower than sugary stuff, which possibly is giving less of a freaky sugar crash and teaching the body to burn more fat. But then it eventually still delivers the calories. I dunno what the heck is going on with it, but it's different. Mixing it is like a crazy lab experiment. How do you mix yours?

BTW, I'm not trying to go all "low carb". I've done that and had nasty results. I'm just trying to find carbs that work great for long stuff. I like that the unflavored isn't sweet at all and I can add some honey to give it a bit of flavor, but no more.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Last edited by: texafornia: Jan 29, 15 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use it for all long rides >3hrs and also in a concentrated bottle on my bike during a 70.3 (haven't gone full yet). I get 4 scoops into an approx 750ml bottle, and at that mix is like a slightly thinned out gel consistency. I've found it to be the best carb based energy source I've used, no stomach discomfort and I get a much more even release of energy than straight maltodextrin etc. I also don't get that empty stomach feeling which I usually get from gels/gatorade etc which I hate.

Best way I've found to mix is is do it the night before a ride/race, use luke warm water and I put it in my wife's 'magic bullet' blender. Then once it's poured into my bottle I put it in the fridge overnight and it's good to go the next day. Never had it clump when using this method. Also another thing I've started doing is dropping a nunn tablet into the water prior to blending the Vitargo, as the standard Vitargo doesn't have any electrolytes. That also works well.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitargo s2 [mvogt46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more on the hollow feeling of regular sugars. That describes it perfectly. And that leads me to eat more, which is too much and I get sick.

Quote Reply